Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SUSP: Replacing front rotors (Quick/Dirty Way)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SUSP: Replacing front rotors (Quick/Dirty Way)

Disclaimer: whatever you do, you do it on ur own accord. i will not be resposible if u fuck up or car or get hurt.

a while back i promised a few members that i would show them an easy way to replace the front rotors. since they are pressed in many members have had a hard time replacing them and shops charge u $300 or more to replace them.
    this is a new way.
    it will take you guys about 30 min for one wheel depending on what tools you have and your mechanical knowledge.
    on here it goes

TOOLS
    you will deen all the big 36 milimeter socked for the axle nut
    the regular 6 spoke sockets and you will need the 12 spoke #10 socket.
    and you will need a slide hammer

and the axle puller

both of these last tools can be rented for free at auto zone or pep boys

REMOVING THE ROTOR.
    1. without pulling the car up unstake the axle nut and with the 36 mm socked and a breaker bar try to losen up the axle nut. if you can do it use a 5 feet pipe.

2. take the wheel off.
    now yo wll see 4 #14 bolts. try to brake them loose. DO NOT TAKE THEM OFF.

push the tip of the axle inwords
    take off the brakes and the bracked that holds the brakes.
    the bracked uses 2 # 17 bolts
    in the back of the wheel asambly you will see 4 bolts. now the only way to remove those bolts is to push the axle in a little bit and using a #10 12 spoke socket, you will need to losen those bolts up.
    IF YOU CAN NOT LOSE THEM UP DON'T WORRY BECAUSE THERE IS ANOTHER WAY.
    OK LETS SAY THAT SOME OF YOU DID LOSE THOSE BOLTS IN THE BACK AND SOME DIDN'T
    WHAT FOLLOWS APPLAYS TO BOTH.
    PUT THE AXLE PULLER ON THE WHEEL ASSAMBY AND PUT ON TWO LUG NUTS.

THEN PUT THE SLIDE HAMMER IN THE AXLE PULLER.

using the slide hammer pull the rotor out. DON'T MIND THE PIC I GOT THE CAMERA AFTER I INSTALLED EVERYTHING.
    A if you did lose the 4 #10 bolts in the back then the whole wheel bearing/ rotor will come out. replace the rotor

B if you couldn't losen the 4 bolts in the back then that means that the rotor came out with the hub without the wheel bearing. thats ok. just replace the rotor.

REPLACE THE ROTOR.

INSTALLING THE NEW ROTOR.
    Installing the new rotor depends on the way you took it off
    1. if you did take off those 4 bolts on the back of the wheel assambly the instalation its easy. just put back the rotor/wheel bearing assamby on and tighten them up till the wheel bearing assamby and rotor and in their place.
    torque them to the specs.
    2. IF YOU COULDN'T LOSEN THE 4 #10 BOLTS IN THE BACK AND THE ROTOR CAME OUT WITHOUT THE WHEEL BEARING THATS OK.
    look at the wheel bearing and see if they need replacement since you are there. if not then put a lot of wheel bearing grease in there.
    now try to put back the rotor /hub. when the axle its in then put the axle nut and use that nut to push the rotor and hub in.... after the rotor its in its place install the brake bracket.
    NOW USE ONLY NEW BRAKE PADS. DON'T USE THE OLD ONE. clean the rotor with brake cleaner.
    THEN TIGHN THE AXLE NUT TO ITS TORQUE SPEC AND TEST DRIVE THE CAR.

this is how it should look afer you are done.
    Last edited by alb_accord; 07-01-2006, 03:59 PM.
    are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Awesome man. I plan on doing this soon, except I'll be doing the rotor over hub conversion.

Comment

This is a guide sent down from heaven, I'm doing my front rotors/pads today, off to autozone right now to get the slide hammer and axle puller, thank you very much for this guide

Comment

Here's another DIY from gen5alive that originated elsewhere. Same idea and with a few more pix: http://www.gen5alive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

2 questions:
          1. This is stupid but I can't get the 4 14mm bolts off, I've tried air tools and wrenches both. I don't have any breaker bar on me, can get one if it's my only way, any ideas?

Also, what do we torque them to when putting them back on? It's on really damn tight right now and with hand tools and stuff I have at home including air tools, there's no way I can get them back on that tight.

2. What is the torque spec on the axle nut?
          Last edited by AgaBoogaBoo; 07-05-2006, 06:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
            Here's another DIY from gen5alive that originated elsewhere. Same idea and with a few more pix: http://www.gen5alive.com/forums/showthread.php?t=427

Wanna post the pics. I dont wanna register.

Comment

Nice work Klevis! I'll have to give that a shot when I redo mine!

Comment

i really don't understand why people still take the hub out of the bearing to replace rotors. just take the knuckle off and there are 4 bolts holdin the bearing rotor and hub on, take it off and viola its done, no damage to the hub or bearing, i know alot of people who ruin there bearings this way, this is not the right, smart, fast, way to replace your rotors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

(looking at it)
                  so u remove the 4 bolts BEHIND the rotor ? not the 4 in front right?
                  hahahahah

Comment

dont forget to mention you probably have to replace the bearing because that pulls apart

the build and demise
                    buy stuff i want a new car

Comment

Nice write-up but this is hardly a "new way" to remove pressed on rotors. And yes, HF22T is right, you'll want to budget for a new pair of bearings if they've never been replaced before, because they WILL crap out.
                      wat

Comment

Originally posted by 93cb7ExCoupe
                        i really don't understand why people still take the hub out of the bearing to replace rotors. just take the knuckle off and there are 4 bolts holdin the bearing rotor and hub on, take it off and viola its done, no damage to the hub or bearing, i know alot of people who ruin there bearings this way, this is not the right, smart, fast, way to replace your rotors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Me either, so the last time I had mine apart I did the rotor-over-hub conversion. No more brake head-aches for me......
                        1992 Accord LX - SOLD

Comment

good writeup klevis

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                          - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                          - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                          - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                          - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                          Current cars:
                          - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                          - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

ok guys here it is.
                            if you read carefully i wrote how to take them off in 2 ways.
                            one is to take off the 4 #10 bolts in the back with a 12 spoke socket.
                            but if you can't do that since its all tight and all and its a 15 year old car then go the next thing.
                            you won't fuck up the wheel bearing. i have done it in 4 different accords. on my ex i was able to take off the 4 bolts in the back so the whole thing came out. on my dx and on 2 lx that i have done i couldn't take off those mothefucking 4 bolts int the back so i did it in anothe way. i had no problem with the wheel bearing. i just put a lot of wheel bearing greese and its good to go. if anyone want to take the knuckle off be my guess. but they will have a bitch of a time to take off the lower ball joint. so thats why i have done it this way.
                            but if any of u guys wanna give advices because of YOUR OWN BAD EXPERIENCE doing this then be my guess.
                            Last edited by alb_accord; 07-06-2006, 09:23 PM.
                            are we there yet are we there yet are we there yet

Comment

by the way i'm not trying to be an dick by any means.

option b was not there when i posted in this thread, trust me i read that thing to make sure.

i would have never posted what i posted if i saw that.

hey if this method works for you then go for it. i appologize for jacking your thread!!
                              .............................-----------------93 Ex Coupe[/COLOR]-----------------

My CD7

Comment

Working...
                              X