Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Body panels: Buying/Replacing/Repairing/Re-painting/Pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body panels: Buying/Replacing/Repairing/Re-painting/Pricing

(Apologize in advance if this in the wrong thread, seemed most appropriate to me)

Hey everyone, I have a 93 Accord Sedan LX that unfortunately got ran over by an 18 wheeler while parked (not kidding, I'm serious) but was extremely lucky and escaped with only a smashed up passenger side door and no other damage whatsoever. Long story short I have to pay out of pocket until further notice because life sucks. Window is intact and door still closes safely with no leaks, but nonetheless it looks like SHIT and may end up leaking sooner or later. And of course the locking system is messed up so I can't lock my car now

My rear quarter panels have some nasty, nasty rust. Quarter sized holes on both sides, as well as the spot where the bumpers meet the quarter panels, just the typical for this car.

Also, my rear bumper lost some bumper clips on one side and it hangs about 1/2 inch, maybe less.

The body work is very, very sad looking. Trying to figure out the best budget way to get all this done and get it done right the first time. I would also like a complete new paint job on the entire car as well since it's sun faded and also sad looking.

I called a few body shops for the door only (which will be replaced completely and color matched via VIN if I decide what's going on with the paint) to get an idea and they estimated anywhere between $500-$1,500. Holy wow, that seems like a lot for such an old car with NO paint!

I have not yet had an estimate done by a professional for paint. Haven't decided if I will be taking care of the rust prior to bringing it in though I would much prefer to, but with a big move coming up who knows if I'll have time.

Where do you guys get your color matched body panels/pieces from if you do them yourself? (Ex: website, junk/scrap yard/craigslist etc etc..) And what do you pay for each panel on average?

If you prefer to have a body garage do it, what do you feel is a fair price for certain panels?

With such dramatic rust on the quarter panels, is it best to cut and replace or bondo up like a simple repair?

What's a fair price to have a body shop paint alone, or paint and repair rust? (Note: I will be painting it a flat/satin color if I were to have a shop do it.)

I have been trying to figure something out since early spring with no prevail, help! D:

for doors, check junkyards and craigslist. you shouldn't have to pay more than $50-75 per door (i found some for $40 local to me) and you might get lucky and find some in your color paint.

For quarter panel rust, TASauto has patch panels that you weld in for $50 each. Don't just bondo them. Filler is porous and holds moisture, making it rust worse than if it wasn't there.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
    Originally posted by Stephen Fry
    'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
    Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

heyy man if your looking for good replacement rear quaters this site http://www.fixmyrust.com/Category/DL has really good prices on them. i got mine off here for my car!

Comment

Originally posted by DevilD View Post
        heyy man if your looking for good replacement rear quaters this site http://www.fixmyrust.com/Category/DL has really good prices on them. i got mine off here for my car!
        WOW THANK YOU exactly what I needed for those quarters! Took me forever to find a legit website to get them from!

Comment

to fix your quarters, without painting, price in a bodyshop can go from 700$ to 900$ per side.

consider that a full paint job with no body work what so ever can cost up to 3000-3500$ for a quality job with quality material...age of the car is not a factor that changes the price like you seem to think...it has nothing to do with the cost of such a job...its the same job on an old car or on a new car (in fact an old car will have most likely more work to do on it..so will cost more to make it perfect again)

of course you can always find cheaper somewhere, but what you must understand is that in the bodyshop business, you pay for what you get...products have a VERY wide range of quality and cheap products will give you, yes a cheaper price, but also a shitty result. plus labor is something that can go on forever in that business, there is always something that could be done better, something that doesnt show at first glance but that will need to be fixed when u start doing ''what you saw in first place that needed to be fixed'' a good exemple is your quarter panel...if you have a hole in it rust most likely started from the inside, therefor your wheelhousing is most likely rusted and will need to be fixed...but you dont see it now cause your quarters are hidding it
          so the idea is to get quotations done from different bodyshops, and get them to explain you exactly what they will repair, how they will repair it and what type of products they will use. you will then understand the price better and will be able to choose more wisely what you are willing to pay for what kind of job.
          and also remember that rust is like cancer...you can fix it, but it will eventually come back. a patch panel (like in the link above) will usually last 3 to 5 years max as the weldings will eventually start to rust again, especially if you live somewhere where cars are rusting easily. if you live in the arizona desert or something maybe it can last longer but yea...a repair is a repair.
          and if you want a full restoration then pricewise, sky is the limit.

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Take a look at this thread for what is involved with reparing a badly rusted quarter panel: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180806.

I suggest doing as much of the work as you can. Keep your eyes open for a matching door (what color is your car?). Changing a front door is relatively easy; remove the inner door panel, pull back the liner, remove the speaker, then you should be able to access the electrical connector for the door wiring. Remove the pin from the door stay (metal strap that keeps the door from opening too wide). It is easier to get to the hinge bolts if the fender is off, but getting to the lowest bolt requires removing the plasitc rocker panel. If you remove the fender liner, you can possibly get to the hinge bolts from inside the fender.

Rear door is even easier.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

@Cb7_Qc, yes I know that prices for body work doesn't change because of the age of the car lolz just saying that's a dumb amount considering I may not even be able to sell it for that price ha. Rust will deffly return at some point for I live in the NE area of the states, but personally I would much rather have to do some work every once in awhile then be tied down to a monthly payment for god knows how long. And I didn't know about the wheel well affecting the quarter panels when it comes to rust, I will have to check the front wheels wells while I'm at too!

@fleetW00d, I've looked over that thread quite a few times myself, and it actually makes more sense to me now that Cb7_Qc explained that rust starts from the inside usually, I'll be looking more into those things now. My car color is actually the exact red of that car that's in thread you showed me ha. Hasn't been easy finding a door for it..

Comment

OK so I checked to see if there was any rust in any of the wheel wells. I lucked out cause there is no rust and absolutely no sign of it whatsoever within the wheel wells of all 4 wheels, I also checked inside the trunk/by the spare tire, underneath the whole car, every nook and cranny and everywhere where it may be hiding and nothing is to be found! so my job is much easier than I thought!

Comment

Hey, if you make any progress in repairing your rust, do please keep us updated. I'm in the same boat as you with the typical rust where the bumper meets the rear quarter (left side) and all along the wheel well (right side).
                  1991 HONDA ACCORD EX COUPE
                  2014 Volvo XC70 T6 AWD ----- 2000 Honda Odyssey LX
                  2004 Nissan Altima 2.5 S ------ 1994 Toyota Corolla DX
                  2001 Subaru Outback --------- 1990 Infiniti M30

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
                    Hey, if you make any progress in repairing your rust, do please keep us updated. I'm in the same boat as you with the typical rust where the bumper meets the rear quarter (left side) and all along the wheel well (right side).
                    Will do! May be holding off until after the holidays though xP

Comment

Originally posted by militiamaiden View Post
                      (Apologize in advance if this in the wrong thread, seemed most appropriate to me)

Hey everyone, I have a 93 Accord Sedan LX that unfortunately got ran over by an 18 wheeler while parked (not kidding, I'm serious) but was extremely lucky and escaped with only a smashed up passenger side door and no other damage whatsoever. Long story short I have to pay out of pocket until further notice because life sucks. Window is intact and door still closes safely with no leaks, but nonetheless it looks like SHIT and may end up leaking sooner or later. And of course the locking system is messed up so I can't lock my car now

My rear quarter panels have some nasty, nasty rust. Quarter sized holes on both sides, as well as the spot where the bumpers meet the quarter panels, just the typical for this car.

Also, my rear bumper lost some bumper clips on one side and it hangs about 1/2 inch, maybe less.

The body work is very, very sad looking. Trying to figure out the best budget way to get all this done and get it done right the first time. I would also like a complete new paint job on the entire car as well since it's sun faded and also sad looking.

I called a few body shops for the door only (which will be replaced completely and color matched via VIN if I decide what's going on with the paint) to get an idea and they estimated anywhere between $500-$1,500. Holy wow, that seems like a lot for such an old car with NO paint!

I have not yet had an estimate done by a professional for paint. Haven't decided if I will be taking care of the rust prior to bringing it in though I would much prefer to, but with a big move coming up who knows if I'll have time.

Where do you guys get your color matched body panels/pieces from if you do them yourself? (Ex: website, junk/scrap yard/craigslist etc etc..) And what do you pay for each panel on average?

If you prefer to have a body garage do it, what do you feel is a fair price for certain panels?

With such dramatic rust on the quarter panels, is it best to cut and replace or bondo up like a simple repair?

What's a fair price to have a body shop paint alone, or paint and repair rust? (Note: I will be painting it a flat/satin color if I were to have a shop do it.)

I have been trying to figure something out since early spring with no prevail, help! D:

post some photos so we can see the car & the damage
                      :/ sucks that your car got hit like that,
                      GOOD THING nothing happened to you

Comment

Originally posted by existlosangeles View Post
                        post some photos so we can see the car & the damage
                        :/ sucks that your car got hit like that,
                        GOOD THING nothing happened to you
                        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201792

One of my original posts with an assortment of pics of my car, you can see some of the rust I'm taking about (sorta, I always try to get pics of her that hide the flaws..) but no pass door pics (that's her camera shy side).

You can see in the first pic how the bumper sags... :rollseyes:
                        Last edited by militiamaiden; 11-20-2013, 09:17 PM. Reason: broken links

Comment

Working...
                        X