Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

H22swap for daily driving/weekend fun?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H22swap for daily driving/weekend fun?

Hey guys, I'm pretty new to the modding scene but I've already read many of the threads that have been posted already and have decided to do an H22 engine swap, however I am still undecided since many of these threads are dated and I'd just like to know if what I've read is still relevant. The car I have is a '93 Accord with an F22A6 engine, Now I know what you're going to say when you read the question "This has been asked many times, read up noob" well, as stated I'd like to know if the info is still relevant. I'm planning on using this Accord as a daily driver, and for fun at the track on the weekends. I'm NOT looking to be the fastest kid around the block, just something to have a fun time with. My question is, should I stick to an H22 swap, or is there a better alternative? I've read up on turboing and I Believe it was this http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=180703 threadthat said turboing a daily driver was a bad call. But again,I just want to make sure. Thanks.

Note: I do have a second car so I'm fine with having the Accord sit around for a while.

There is nothing I didn't like about daily driving my H-swap, I got good gas mileage (34 mpg highway) and even with the stock transmission it pulls plenty hard for me. All of the H-series will have more hp and more torque (although some H-series torque figures will not be dramatically more than what your engine puts down healthy). They will all rev higher and have a better aftermarket for them should you want to mod the engine. Turbocharging your engine isn't really a bad idea on a daily so long as you use quality parts, install it correctly and have it tuned and maintained correctly. Either would be a lot more fun than your stock engine and safe for daily driving. Welcome to the site.

*edit* Most of the information here is still very valid, the only things I've noticed that have really changed is some manufacturers have gone out of business or some parts have lost their appeal or been introduced. The general information about swapping and turbocharging is pretty much on point even today.
    Last edited by Bunta; 08-16-2017, 08:28 PM.

Comment

The H22 is just an engine. It fits into the cb7 with very minimal modification. As long as the engine is healthy and installed correctly, it will be no less reliable than your f22a6. Fuel economy is a bit lower (Bunta's experience was quite good... I got between 25-30 mpg with mine. Still decent.) Premium fuel is required. So the daily driver costs go up a little... bit still well within the range of similarly capable cars today.

H22 is most definitely more reliable (and cheaper) on average than a turbo. Turbo requires a full engine rebuild with upgraded parts, plus extensive tuning, to even come close to being reliable. An h22 is a stock engine that basically drops right in.

Also, I have a 400hp cts-v in my driveway right now. My h22 swapped cb7 was probably more fun. Fast isn't everything. Plus, any schmuck can go buy a 12 second Mustang on an assistant manager's paycheck these days!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Bunta's experience was quite good... I got between 25-30 mpg with mine. Still decent.
        It looks like his was with an Accord transmission which, with the H22A and H23A VTEC, can produce great economy numbers. The F22A in stock, 250,000-mile form just doesn't have the power for freeway entry and fast highway driving.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          It looks like his was with an Accord transmission which, with the H22A and H23A VTEC, can produce great economy numbers. The F22A in stock, 250,000-mile form just doesn't have the power for freeway entry and fast highway driving.
          yes I kept the stock transmission.

Comment

I calculated I got 32mpg highway which is definetly better than my old f22 auto!

H swaps really do help the Car.

Now if only my boat could turn as well hahaha
            sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              Ah yes, that's true. I had the m2a4. Shorter gears were great for everything but fuel economy!

Comment

Then swap 5th gear and enjoy life.

Comment

You tend to burn a bit more zipping through the lower gears as well.

Comment

If only we could have six speeds ;_;

Comment

Having moved on to six speed cars, I actually prefer five. Sometimes you just don't want to shift an extra time! I can't imagine how annoying seven would be...

Comment

But how easy is it to put a bigger fifth gear in a transmission. It's not like where in some video game and can increase the final drive to produce taller gears. If only haha

Comment

You can put the fifth gear from the Accord transmission into a short geared Prelude transmission. It's fairly common. Expensive if you can't do it yourself, though.
                          With all the grinding Accord and Prelude transmissions out there now, it's not hard to find them cheap.

Comment

I can imagine how much better an h22 would be in these cars. My car is gutless especially with the air on. Back in the early 2000's I used to drive a 97 2.2 5spd Acura CL with a euro-R h22 swap. This was way back before there was kits to fix the idle air control on the intake manifold. I had to figure out and make that damn adaptor myself lol. That car was hella fun though. And that car was hundreds of pounds heavier than my CB. I gotta get back to work on prepping my h22. Talk about one chassis well deserving of 200hp it's definitely the CB chassis.
                            5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

A manual CL is only 100-200lbs heavier. But that matters when it comes to moving the car with a little 2.2!
                              The H22 makes the cb7 seem relevant again. These days, a 200hp compact is still viable (civic Si, for example.)

Comment

Working...
                              X