EXT: Bumper Light Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Bumper Light Conversion

this DIY will show you how to convert your bumper lights to “fogs” or have them turn on with the parking lights AND still retain its signal (blinking) feature WITHOUT the use of dual filament 1157 bulbs.

a sidemarker installation was thrown in the mix as well.

this is an extension to the DIY done by accordtunerx found here http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=1917 .

this is my design. there are numerous ways to have a bumper light conversion but this is the way i did it back in 99. many ask how i did it so i took some time to put together a diagram. let’s take a look shall we?!

my design involves the following:
    -uses the stock single filament 1156 bulbs
    -when parking lights are off, bumper light signals normally
    -when parking lights are on, bumper light turns on, signals also but hyperblinks and alternates with the rear; meaning if rear is on, front is off and vice versa

and requires the following:
    -2 single-pole-double-throw (SPDT) relays PER SIDE
    -1 wire tap PER SIDE (3 if you are doing sidemarkers too)
    -a good amount of wire (i used 16 gauge)
    -female disconnects for the relays (5 per relay depending, you do the math)
    -a few butt connectors if you won’t be soldering the wires (i recommend you solder)
    -some wiring knowledge but you can do it!

for those who are curious, i will be taking pictures of the actual mounting of the relays and grounding points in the engine bay later on. for now enjoy the diagram i worked so hard on making. good luck and remember: i am not responsible for your actions .
    Attached Files
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Hyperblinks? Nice writeup btw. Where can I find the necessary relays? Just covering my bases here, but am I correct in assuming this will only work with oem bumper lights or not?
    Last edited by texasvtak; 09-09-2005, 02:12 AM.
    To-Do List for Today
    Be Awesome

Comment

Dang thanx tool man! Good shit I've been waiting your assistance and you pulled thru. Great cb7 member!!!!

I am no longer using this forum name.
      You can find me as
      jdm_inspired...
      I'm starting all over again since I got another CB.

NOC OUT!!!

Comment

uhm..cool..haha... nice write up..i'll try to look for the supplies and try to do this..ive been thinking about having a fog light installed but not those aftermarket looking ones..i want to get it as clean as possible like an OEM that just completes the look of the whole front end..
        "
        Fast and cheap won't be reliable
        Cheap and reliable won't be fast.
        And fast and reliable won't be cheap
        "
        ~EYCEE~

Comment

great stuff man

this is exactly what I've been looking for (keeping the stock single filament bulb)

however, when you say 'hyperblinks', how fast are we talking here? I hate it if it's really fast blinking...a bit faster than stock I can live with, but not too fast

wonder if adding a resistor anywhere in the circuit would eliminate the hyperblinking

My members ride thread

Comment

mxcx: hyperblink=double the stock blinking rate. you can get the relays at any automotive store or even radio shack. they are not that expensive. you can make this work with any signal light that uses a 1156 bulb be it stock or not. if you are using aftermarket bumper lenses there is a slight chance they will melt a little due to more heat by the bulb being on all the time. it's quality doesn't compare to stock as well.

Nocturnal CB7: i made this just for you. now others can benefit as well.

JDMedOUTCB7: these don't perform as good as actual foglights but they do make for a cleaner look.

fliplyricist1: hyperblink=double the stock blinking rate. it's like when a bulb is burnt out. it will signal at that rate because technically the bulb is subtracted from the system when the parking lights are turned on; thus the hyperblink. the resistor idea is a great idea! i'll look into that right now! i don't like the hyperblink myself.
            - 92 LX coupe
            - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool
              mxcx: hyperblink=double the stock blinking rate. you can get the relays at any automotive store or even radio shack. they are not that expensive. you can make this work with any signal light that uses a 1156 bulb be it stock or not. if you are using aftermarket bumper lenses there is a slight chance they will melt a little due to more heat by the bulb being on all the time. it's quality doesn't compare to stock as well.

Nocturnal CB7: i made this just for you. now others can benefit as well.

JDMedOUTCB7: these don't perform as good as actual foglights but they do make for a cleaner look.

fliplyricist1: hyperblink=double the stock blinking rate. it's like when a bulb is burnt out. it will signal at that rate because technically the bulb is subtracted from the system when the parking lights are turned on; thus the hyperblink. the resistor idea is a great idea! i'll look into that right now! i don't like the hyperblink myself.
              YOUR THE MAN!!!!!!

You can find me as
              jdm_inspired...

NOC OUT!!!

Comment

i think hyperblink looks cheap. i see cars all the time with blinkers that look all hyperactive, looks like they did they're own wiring and shit didn't get hooked up right and it's about to explode. slower looks classier. super fast is tacky. tacky because some really old shitbox cars have hyperblink without any modding. it just develops on some cars i've seen over a period of time. that's why i think i associate it with crappiness.

Comment

hey tim.. i got an spdt relay.. BUT it doesnt look like the one on the diagram you showed..

got any pictures of it?

whats the amp rating and all that other stuff.. cuz i got a pair but i dont think its the right one..

Comment

Is it street legal to have the bumper lights stay on using the single filament 1157 bulb? In other words, the bumper lights will be much brighter when constantly on compared with the the low filament of the 1157 bulb. I really don' t want to get hassled by cops.

Comment

Originally posted by SSDH22Accord
                      hey tim.. i got an spdt relay.. BUT it doesnt look like the one on the diagram you showed..

got any pictures of it?

whats the amp rating and all that other stuff.. cuz i got a pair but i dont think its the right one..
                      if it's 4-prong you might have a SPST (single pole single throw). it's an automotive SPDT relay 30A and looks like this:

fac90: it is not illegal to have them lit up. however here in california, if you have more than 4 sets of lights on at the same time, you can get pulled over. i know since my buddy did in his DA integra (fogs in headlight, lowbeam, bumper lights, and fogs in grill). he got a warning.
                      - 92 LX coupe
                      - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

any luck with the resistor? Or has no one tried it yet?

You can find me as
                        jdm_inspired...

NOC OUT!!!

Comment

What do you guys think about the idea that I've heard hear on the board about using the corner bulbs from a 92-95 civic because it has three wires on the harness and two go to the bumper wires and then the third one (red) is taped to the corner none blinking wire on our corner lights!!! I think accordwarrior is the one whos done it, but not sure! I'd do it the way this tread that has done it (which seems better), but if this way works, then what the heck!

Originally posted by cp[mike]
                          oh well. its just a car, its not the end of the world.

Comment

So what would the wiring setup look like without the sidemarkers?
                            -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
                            -1993 Accord EX SOLD
                            -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
                            -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by 90accordlxcb7
                              What do you guys think about the idea that I've heard hear on the board about using the corner bulbs from a 92-95 civic because it has three wires on the harness and two go to the bumper wires and then the third one (red) is taped to the corner none blinking wire on our corner lights!!! I think accordwarrior is the one whos done it, but not sure! I'd do it the way this tread that has done it (which seems better), but if this way works, then what the heck!
                              i just did this today with the 92-95 civic sockets... It took me 10mins !!!!! the 92-95 civic sockets have three wires . connect (black to black) (green t0 green) and for the red wire run it to the constent corner (the one that always stays on) bulb postive side... Like i said it took me 10mins... anyone can do this
                              "Know Your Rank"

Comment

Working...
                              X