CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 07-23-2019, 07:38 PM   #21
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
Also, think of it this way: in 5 years, you’ll be able to get a potent MR corvette for less than an old NSX!
That's messed up. It's for this reason that I've been keeping an eye on 987.2 Cayman prices. Can't afford my dream early-'90s Honda anymore, so instead I'll have to get a late-naughties/early-teens Porsche.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!

Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-23-2019 at 07:41 PM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:34 PM   #22
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley

AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyborgGT View Post
That's messed up. It's for this reason that I've been keeping an eye on 987.2 Cayman prices. Can't afford my dream early-'90s Honda anymore, so instead I'll have to get a late-naughties/early-teens Porsche.
The beauty is if you hold onto it long enough, the market will always rise and you'll end up at minimum breaking even. I've been watching 914 prices jump up and even 944 prices start to rise. I'm curious when the 924 starts to go.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 11:51 PM   #23
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
Quote:
Meh. They were saying that about the R35, too. "Untunable." It's just a computer, it can be hacked.
I'm not saying untunable. I'm talking big bucks. And that comes from the owner of Church Automotive whose entire business is based primarily on dealing with OEM level tuning work, professional race teams, aftermarket tuning companies, etc.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 03:12 AM   #24
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
Once they've cracked it, though, they're still charging customers that much for tuning software/ECU? I would have thought the demand was great enough, especially among Corvettes, that charging a more reasonable price would be enough to make up for that initial work of getting into the system.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!

Last edited by CyborgGT; 07-24-2019 at 03:16 AM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #25
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
My $0.02.

I saw the car review and interview with Tadge Juechter, and I have my and .

I'll explain. First, I understand that a manual transmission can't compete with a computer that allows a transmission to shift in xxxx millisecond. I get it. The fact that the C8 will not be manufactured in manual sucks @ss IMO.

"When I asked Corvette lead engineer Tadge Juechter at the reveal of the 2020 Corvette on Thursday if there is any chance the manual will come back, he replied simply: “No.”"

Source: https://www.motorauthority.com/news/...dying-business

I also know that the design of the previous generations was holding performance back. I've grown used to the styling of the Vette over the last umpteen years, and I still love the older body styling. This is not to say the C8 will not grow on me, but for now, it's just okay.

Power and performace wise, I understand it's the best ever made. With a newer generation car, I'd always expect that. On paper and performace/track testing, it's confirmed/verified/validated. That's a plus. I'll experience it when I get to drive it myself.

Also, it's even closer to competing with the supercars, although previous models (not the base model) already tackled that problem at 1/3 the price.

As of now, I'm neutral, and should I go out and buy a Vette tomorrow, it'll be a mint condition low mileage C6 ZR1. This is not to say I wouldn't consider a C8 in the near future, but I need to experiment and evaluate.

Aftermarket support is already bananas, and with the younger kids adapting to these new technologies, as Black Rob would say, Whoa!

Last edited by Straight Success; 07-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Straight Success is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:14 PM   #26
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The truly amazing thing to me is how crazy ALL performance cars have gotten. Even the most accessible performance cars (Mustang GT, for example), are more car than the average owner will ever need. A car like the C8 is going to give the average owner just as much accessible performance as a Ferrari (minus the bragging rights of owning a Ferrari.)
Yes, the base model can pull 1.0G on all season tires. How many people will ever even try it?

Quote:
I would LOVE a cayman.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 10:47 PM   #27
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Being on Chevy side again i have to chime in because this discussion went down a month or so ago in the Camaro forums;

1. Chevy claims the camaro is not canceled but merely delayed
2. The 10 speed transmissions are supposed to handle a ballpark figure of 1000hp with torque numbers north of 800 BUT i heard rumors that some of these new transmissions are going into limp mode already on trucks(some Fords at least).

as far as the manuals being faced out; i have never been such a control freak that i feel i have to shift the car so i "can feel the performance", i owned manual cars and hardly drove them because i could always get a properly build auto to do the work better with less of a hassle, hell i have yet to even try the paddle shifters on my SS and WAY too much of a wuss to even try and launch without tranction control. But this is only my opinion.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:54 AM   #28
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Hopefully that’s true for the Camaro! People that don’t agree with the corvette’s engine relocation will flock to it. Or they’ll go to Ford or Dodge.

The lack of manual saddens me, but the majority of previous corvettes sold have been automatic, and the supercars that the C8 is looking to compete with are also auto (or at least lacking a third pedal, which I consider to be “auto”)
I like the feeling of involvement with a manual transmission. If an automatic shifts at the wrong time during a race, costing you precious time, there’s nothing you can do. Unless you can reprogram or physically alter the transmission after the fact. Paddles help greatly with the control aspect, when they’re good, but I’m still not a fan. I’d prefer a pure auto to paddles, and a true manual over all!
Of course, I’m not the target buyer for the C8.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #29
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

According to the Camaro forum and the whinnying the Challenger has replaced the mustang as the highest selling muscle car, I looked at all 3 before I ended up in my Camaro and actually planned on getting a C6 but the need for a lift to actually work on the car was what led me in the direction I went. The Corvette has always lured a certain group and I don't think that will change much since you need money to modify due to "the Corvette tax" on all the parts and labor cost involved with the car. Usually tuners ask to tune the trans on these cars to optimize shift points then once you get into gears and stalls it really gets vicious, on my model they claim a .7 second increase in time with a 3400 stall and even better with gear swaps.
Old 07-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #30
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
I feel like the person who designed the front is different than the person who designed the rear. I see this in a lot of cars....

PS - fix that spam bot Deev :P
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #31
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raf99 View Post
I feel like the person who designed the front is different than the person who designed the rear. I see this in a lot of cars....

PS - fix that spam bot Deev :P
Working on it!
I've cleared and banned something like 75 posts/spammers this morning.
Changed up our security settings as well... though some of these spammers tend to lay dormant for a long time.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM   #32
Straight Success
Contributing Member

Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire Straight Success is someone to admire
The rendering of a potential Z06 model that af_1132 posted has Straight Success written all over it. I can see one of those parked in my 12 car garage.

Old 07-25-2019, 01:07 PM   #33
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
If the C8 drops C6 Z06 prices, I'd love it even more!

Let's be honest here, the majority of people that buy the Vette are doing it for looks/status or dream car fulfillment. The 1% that track the car seriously or even at just a high amateur level won't care that it's an auto.
Old 07-25-2019, 09:11 PM   #34
Straight Success
Contributing Member

You're probably right.

Although not a Vette, I've driven both a manual and a paddle shift Ferrari 360 Modena. I wasn't on the track, but keeping it on a bean, I'd use either one at the track. At that point, I'd just be grinning from ear to ear.

It's moreso daily driving an auto on the street is what I don't like. I hate waiting for the downshift from second to first when slowing down. I've never been in any automatic car where that was a smooth transition without any hiccup or hesitation.

On the track, that's a whole different ball game. Paddle shifting - I welcome it. Just my personal preference.

With the balance of the the C8, from what I've read, I can imagine this thing is so much fun coming out of a sweeper with the throttle pinned. Having a fuel injected pushrod V8 behind your ear lobes screaming at 6500 RPMs; I'll probably bust all over the steering wheel. JK.

Old 07-25-2019, 11:03 PM   #35
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

In that case you wouldn't have a problem straight, some of the newer Chevy transmissions do not use first gear during daily driving due to how aggressive it is; I kept counting gears and only counted 5 over and over again until another person told me it starts in second unless you floor it or manually select first using the shifters. I have gone out early in the morning some days looking for a Scat Pack or anything of that power level to measure up against and the only day I have run into a Ferrari my car had been driving like crap due to poor fuel so I opted to sit it out as I want to lose fair so I have no excuses. Deeve is right though, having that CTS he knows there is really no place to let it eat unless you stay up into the 3-4 am slot when the drunks are off the street and the good folks in bed.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: