No announcement yet.

my smog thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks craig, i finally don't have to sweat driving around in the coupe. also since it has a/c as well LOL!
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Any one went to smog their CB with the new STAR station require? What are the newer max values for our cars?
      Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad_dude View Post
        Any one went to smog their CB with the new STAR station require? What are the newer max values for our cars?
        Thanks.
        i just did the smog check. see my next post for the latest numbers!
        - 92 LX coupe
        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

I'm very glad I had this thread to reference as I just went through this again (as we all do every 2 years). here is my experience for posterity!

things have changed for me since my BAR 8 years ago. I spun a bearing on the H22A so I installed an H23A VTEC blue top and only used the long block, meaning I reused the H22A intake manifold. I also installed a greddy header that I found brand new in box which has a CARB number. everything else on my setup stayed the same. after the swap I was not able to do a proper timing adjustment so I guessed to a setting and hoped for the best. I did do a valve adjustment and used OE Honda coolant in the system. as stated in this thread the car must be in proper operating temperatures before a smog check.

with the given setup above I went to my local STAR smog station and received the following:

meas = amount measured
          ave = average for passing cars
          max = maximum allowable

15mph test:
          1803 RPM
          %CO2 meas 16.3
          %O2 meas 0.1
          HC (PPM) max:81 ave:34 meas:85
          CO(%) max:0.74 ave:0.14 meas:0.13
          NO(PPM) max:554 ave:269 meas:589

25mph test:
          3002 RPM
          %CO2 meas 16.3
          %O2 meas 0.0
          HC (PPM) max:63 ave:26 meas:33
          CO(%) max:0.62 ave:0.10 meas:0.03
          NO(PPM) max:511 ave:206 meas:127

results:
          FAIL HC (PPM) and NO(PPM) tests

the smog tech told me that CA is getting stricter (compare the numbers from my original post, they changed) plus they want to see every CARB number for every aftermarket part I had. the header was cleared since it is marked clearly, however he could not find a CARB number on my cat which is a magnaflow. I told him I passed the BAR with this cat and though he believed me, he said it's the new rule! I also failed the fuel cap test.

defeated, I went home to try and remedy this. upon my research my cat was not a CA-legal cat after all though it passed the sniffer and BAR in years past, so it naturally lacked a CARB number. thus I purchased a newer magnaflow CA-legal cat, which had a bigger element in comparison. it also has the CARB number engraved on the side.

in addition to swapping out the cat, I cleaned up the EGR passage like before as dictated in this thread, changed the spark plugs (NGK ZFR6F-11), did an oil change and actually checked the timing which was off. I did retard it a little, same as before. if -> is normal, I did _> on the timing. I bought a new gas cap and back to the smog station I went!

the techs were able to confirm I had the correct cat and proceeded with the test. he kept the car idling which kept the cat warm while performing the inspection. even while prepping for the rollers he kept the car running. afterwards everything passed, however the tech came to me and said that my header CARB number does not match my BAR sticker which states I have a 1994 motor. in reality the motor is a 1995-up since they never made a prelude VTEC motor in 1994. the header was identified for only a 1996 motor. the BAR sticker was inaccurate and the their CARB number reference was incomplete thus the inconsistency. regardless, the tech easily waved this minor issue and gave me my numbers.

meas = amount measured
          ave = average for passing cars
          max = maximum allowable
          (in parenthesis) = previous test numbers from above

15mph test:
          1806 (1803) RPM
          %CO2 meas 16.6 (16.3)
          %O2 meas 0.0 (0.1)
          HC (PPM) max:81 ave:34 meas:42 (85)
          CO(%) max:0.74 ave:0.14 meas:0.02 (0.13)
          NO(PPM) max:554 ave:269 meas:73 (589)

25mph test:
          2916 (3002) RPM
          %CO2 meas 15.3 (15.4)
          %O2 meas 0.0 (0.0)
          HC (PPM) max:63 ave:26 meas:15 (33)
          CO(%) max:0.62 ave:0.10 meas:0.01 (0.03)
          NO(PPM) max:511 ave:206 meas:0 (127)

results:
          PASS test

of course having a new cat does wonders plus I am sure that cleaning the EGR system, changing the plugs, and adjusting the timing helped as well. the numbers dropped dramatically though I was not far off to begin with. remember this is an H23A VTEC blue top but is still running the jdm p13 ECU all OBDI. it's essentially a stroked H22A from the factory anyway minus the oil squirters hence the lower redline.

cheers to another 2 years of driving !
          Last edited by timmy0tool; 06-07-2018, 07:15 PM.
          - 92 LX coupe
          - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

good job tim!

Comment

Nice. Smog techs say the same about my greddy header. They overlook it as well. Funny though, originally when I bar'd mine the header # was not just for '96 and up, it was fine for all obd1 H22's. Something changed in the system.

My swap thread
              Main relay proplems?--DIY

Comment

Dope
                contact info

(562) 324-3639 chan mao

Comment

California sounds like a pain in the ass to pass emissions.
                  For Sale Thread CLICK HERE!

1991 CB9 EX Wagon

1990 CB7 EX Sedan

1997 RA1 LX Wagon

CB7Tuner Discord CLICK ME! -- http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...02#post3285402

Comment

Working...
                  X