af_1132 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
    I really do admire your ambition that is on display via your interactions with us on this site. You set out with very lofty goals in the beginning and most probably passed you off as a dreamer. When I saw 9s as your goal, I know I did. But that doesn't matter anymore. You didn't let the impracticality of your original goal stop you. You decided to set out for going quicker whatever that end result ultimately became. You've poured quite a bit into this hobby and have inspired many on this forum to consider the same. I say that because I'm one of them. I've never really cared what my FWD Honda could do in a 1/4-mile, but now I'm looking into race event in my area. When my CL is done I think I'll take it and my Accord out there to see what they can do. Establish a baseline and go from there. I can think of a lot less fun ways to spend $20 on a Friday night than a strip fee.

On an unrelated note; I work for Granite Construction that's based out of Watsonville. They keep telling me that I'll be sent to the corporate office eventually for training. If I ever go, is there anything I should do in town, or does the rest of the Bay Area provide enough entertainment to warrant no spending much time in Watsonville?

Keep it up!
    I'm tripping out right now (there is no smiley fit for this emotion)!

With my limited knowledge and experience, it has been so hard working this past week alone (well, I mean, alone as far as man power). I really needed that encouragement right now, so thank you very much! Now, it's time to swap out the trans, clutch, and flywheel, and I am overwhelmed (but more inspired now ). I have a lot of tangible and intangible support on here, and I hope that I am helping others out in any way I can.

Which track are you thinking of running at: Armarillo, Motorplex, Evadale, San Antonio, Ooo Royal Purple Raceway? I envy how many choices there are in Texas. I can't really complain about Sonoma Raceway at all, except that it's a two hour drive one way.

I just can't believe you work for Granite Creek construction, that is such a trip! Anyway, here is some stuff you have to do while you are here, depending on when you come. Oh, and try not to get too angry at all the JDM kids with their neg. stance yo, vtec screams yo, caltess exhaust yo, JDM stickers for more powa yo, and obscene low offset yo hecka flush cut springs on stock shocks yo. I see anywhere from 10 to 30 of them just driving five minutes to the grocery store and back.

1. To my house to help me in exchange for labor money (haha, just kidding, my goal is to get all the parts I now have on the car and the car tuned and ready for the Sonoma test n' tune in January).

2. To the ocean at virtually any beach in Santa Cruz County except the heavy tourist beaches (yuck). Some highlights are Manresa Beach, Pleasure Point Beach, Carmel Beach (down the coast a little), Moss Landing State Beach, Ano Nuevo (up the coast a little), and so many more. I should probably just take you on a beach tour.

3. Do you like dirt track racing? I can get you in for free at my local dirt track for sprints, IMCA, USAC, CRA, or any of the events that happen to be going on when you are here.

4. Would you be coming with your family? Check out the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk if you are. It's kind of a tourist spot, but great for the younger ones.

5. Check out Capitola. This is where I grew up and is just charming. There is a good night life on the Esplanade, I'm just not into that sort of thing. There's good shopping opportunities there.

6. Good Mexican food in Watsonville: Cilantro's (fine mexican dining) and El Friolito (hole in the wall excellence).

7. Moss Landing: get the full ocean life experience there, and make sure to check out Phil's Fish House. Best fish ever.

8. Ever had Thai food? You really need to eat at Bangcock West in Aptos. My favorite food of ALL TIME is their chicken soup in coconut milk.

There is really just too much to list. Just let me know when you are coming .
    *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Wow, that's quite the response! I'll definitely let you know when I come in. It could be within the year or not. It all depends on how badly one of the projects we have across the US needs people. We just won a couple of really large projects on the East coast so it may depend on that. And it's Granite Construction without the "Creek". I don't know if that's related or not. Either way, headquarters is in Watsonville.

I'd like to start going to Royal Purple Raceway. I'm guessing that the nights I would fit best in are the legal street racing nights. Looking at some of the pictures online it seems like that's a very structured night with points and purses and all that. I was mainly hoping for something on a Saturday during the day where I wouldn't be the only 14 and 17-second car out there. I need to go out there one night and just check it out.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Dude, how far are you from Laguna Seca? I remember it being on the way up there when we were heading north to SF.

Also, i think you're decently close to my favorite camping spot, Mt. Madonna!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett
          I'd like to start going to Royal Purple Raceway. I'm guessing that the nights I would fit best in are the legal street racing nights. Looking at some of the pictures online it seems like that's a very structured night with points and purses and all that. I was mainly hoping for something on a Saturday during the day where I wouldn't be the only 14 and 17-second car out there. I need to go out there one night and just check it out.
          Royal Purple Raceway seems like the goods, and it reminds me of Sonoma. I recently heard (and saw on Youtube) that Frankie Taylor broke the blown pro mod record there (5.47 @ 263) while racing a twin turbo pro mod Camaro that broke the record for all pro mods and door slammers during the same race (5.46 @ 274 or something crazy like that!). I wish I could have been there.

Definitely go, you won't regret it if you are into racing! I got HOOKED the first time I went. On a street night, you are bound to find some slow daily cars show up there in the 18s and even 19s. I can't tell for sure when I went to their site, but it looks like there aren't purses for those street legal nights. Hopefully, they run practice rounds and eliminations all the same.

Yeah, I meant Granite Construction. I think I got it mixed up with Big Creek Lumber.
          Last edited by af_1132; 11-26-2014, 05:49 PM.

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by Lucien View Post
            Dude, how far are you from Laguna Seca? I remember it being on the way up there when we were heading north to SF.

Also, i think you're decently close to my favorite camping spot, Mt. Madonna!
            I am only about 40 mintues from there. My favorite event has always been the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) in August during car week (the Concors d'Elegance, Concorso d'Italiano, and McCall event also happen that same weekend every year, it's crazy!)

You've camped at Mt. Madonna? That's literally 15 minutes from my house.

Today is the day of trip outs!

MRT
            Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Originally posted by af_1132 View Post
              I am only about 40 mintues from there. My favorite event has always been the Rolex Monterey Motorsports Reunion (formerly the Monterey Historics) in August during car week (the Concors d'Elegance, Concorso d'Italiano, and McCall event also happen that same weekend every year, it's crazy!)

You've camped at Mt. Madonna? That's literally 15 minutes from my house.

Today is the day of trip outs!
              Yep, camped there a few times with my family. It's gorgeous, the weather is cool, there's actual wildlife all around, the campgrounds are great and the people are chill. I love it there. The windy, forest lined road leading into the campgrounds isn't half bad either.

Something i want to do soon is make it a point to go to at least a couple of those big, world class events a year.

Comment

Updates from November

I made a deal with my fiance: no more parts for the car may be purchased from now until after the wedding in July , but I have everything I need to get this car running again .

Here's some crap that happened. Definitely the low point of the week.

Here's the first bit of tangible "progress" from the last week .

Went to Harbor Freight and picked up their 1 ton shop crane and leveler, pretty sweet, but not fun to assemble. I used it to drop the transmission properly, and I might use it to pull the block to put on the new timing kit (no engine stand, though eek!). I love that crane!

Did the rear main seal once the flywheel was off. I originally put it on the short way, but I forgot to grease the outside, so out it had to come with the cap to be done again. The pan is SURE hard to drop without removing the center beam and flex pipe .

Also, no more messing around with lame filters, I just got this, and can tell that I have the best one out there. This is second to none! The adapter is strong and the gaskets are super nice!

Last edited by af_1132; 12-13-2014, 12:48 AM.

MRT
                Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Comment

I really like your Progress keep the bar high. af 1132
                    CB7TUNER.com
                    Educating each other one car at a time.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I definitely raised the bar this week, haha!

So many puns.

MRT
                      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

I found the place, THE PLACE, to start my married life. Everything is perfect, except the timing. Now, the car has to get back together before the 31st, EEEEKKKKK! The fact that this new place has a garage with a door, a long driveway, and a yard really motivates me. You will see a lot of updates this month. Let's call it the car Christmas!

First off, Sonik Hooked Me UP!!!!!!

This version 3 is awesome and is bluetooth compatible, so I'll look into the servies available through bluetooth.
                        I've got some p12, PT6, and PT3 maps from pgmfi.org and I just need to figure out which will be best with my setup for the tuner trip.

Everybody is going crazy over these Innovate MTX-L's so I had to get one:

I'll take my flex pipe off and have the supplied O2 bung welded on to run the wideband as a standalone afr.

The transmission was scary to put in as all get out! $3400 in parts were at my mercy and I've never done anything like this before.

Here's the new clutch and flywheel installed, so shiny!!

The Prelude studs being in different positions was a real pleasant surprise, but the DIY on here made it real easy to move them to the other holes.

The transmission is in, but I want to clean things up and get the front end all back together before I post pics of it.

MRT
                        Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

Funny, you beat me to the punch. We both posted about our S300 within 10 mins of each other.

Comment

spiffy looking forward to future updates.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by tishock View Post
                              Funny, you beat me to the punch. We both posted about our S300 within 10 mins of each other.
                              What base map are you going to put in? Or are you just going to a tuner on a trailer? I've got a few that I found on pgmfi.org and I can only find one that would work for us on the Vault. It is all about B, D, and H series on there!

Thanks for stopping by, cp[mike]!

MRT
                              Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph

Comment

HA Motorsports made me a custom basemap for my setup. The plan is to drive it to Bisimoto for tuning early next year.

http://www.hamotorsports.com/s300-basemap.html

Comment

Working...
                                X