Computer Heads. I needs help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Computer Heads. I needs help.

I have a Lenovo laptop , model Z565-4311.

Windows 7 Home 64Bit OS
    Currently on 4GB memory PC-10600 DDR3 1333mhz.
    2GB per slot (has 2 slots) , 8GB max supported.

Now I ordered 8GB sticks (2 x 4GB ,same speed)

I install both sticks and the laptop won't boot at all.
    Now I leave 1 4GB stick in there and re-install one of the original 2GB , and the computer will boot up. It will read 6GB memory , however , it only has 1.74GB usable out of the 6GB. Meaning the other 4GB doesn't even work at all?

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

1993 Honda Accord LX 2004-2009
    1996 Honda Civic LX 2009-2012
    2012 Kia Optima LX 2012-2013
    2010 Honda Accord EX-L V6 2013-2018
    2007 Honda Fit Sport 2017-2017
    2018 Honda Accord EX-L 2.0T 2018-20XX

sounds like bad mem stick...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
      i agree.

Comment

Download Memtest and run it as an .iso. You can basically run it as long as you want and it will thoroughly test the memory in your system.
        My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
          Originally posted by Leung View Post
          i agree.
          I'll take this as a possibility. Thanks.

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          Download Memtest and run it as an .iso. You can basically run it as long as you want and it will thoroughly test the memory in your system.
          Doing it now. Thanks.

Comment

when purchasing memory, especially for a laptop, its crucial that you match the required timing specifications and voltages alike. also, some laptops have very arbitrary limitations on how much you can install. i had a dual core laptop that was restricted to 2gb for some reason. you could 'fit' more, but it wouldnt work.

oh, and for the love of god steer clear of kingston KVR memory!!!

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
              I did the test , the 4GB sticks was not recognized. It showed up as 0 aka no memory detected.

I tried the sticks on my bro's laptop and they worked fine, both are readable. So I'm guessing mine is not compatible to handle 4gb per slot?

Though I already have 4GB (2gb/slot) , but 4gb alone in a slot won't work either.

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
              when purchasing memory, especially for a laptop, its crucial that you match the required timing specifications and voltages alike. also, some laptops have very arbitrary limitations on how much you can install. i had a dual core laptop that was restricted to 2gb for some reason. you could 'fit' more, but it wouldnt work.

oh, and for the love of god steer clear of kingston KVR memory!!!
              I made sure I had the right voltage. Mine is at 1.5V and of course I stay out of KVR.

Comment

Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates for your laptop?

Comment

Have you checked to see if there are any BIOS updates for your laptop?
                  I was digging for that info on the manufacturer website. There's no Bios update as of now. I'm still diggin for info about a bios update.

Comment

Your laptop, ideapad I believe, does have a maximum of 4GB per slot, and apparently it supports both 1.35v and 1.5v memory. Keep in mind that the laptops mainboard will reserve some memory for your video, so always take BIOS reports over operating system reports. That being said, you def have bad sticks.

Also, its not uncommon for bad sticks to work in some systems and not others, when RAM goes bad a few millivolts can make the difference between POST and FAIL. IMO it got static'd

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

What brand of ram did you buy OP?

Comment

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
                        Your laptop, ideapad I believe, does have a maximum of 4GB per slot, and apparently it supports both 1.35v and 1.5v memory. Keep in mind that the laptops mainboard will reserve some memory for your video, so always take BIOS reports over operating system reports. That being said, you def have bad sticks.

Also, its not uncommon for bad sticks to work in some systems and not others, when RAM goes bad a few millivolts can make the difference between POST and FAIL. IMO it got static'd
                        Understood. I contacted the seller for a replacement. Hopefully, this set is not a rotten egg.

What brand of ram did you buy OP?

Corsair.

Comment

Sorry if this has been said already but have to go soon so don't have time to read all replies - check the max memory your laptop supports. If it only supports 4gb max it won't recognize it. Theres a chance you could have bad ram, but if it's brand new and from a reputable supplier and brand then I doubt that would be it. But there always is a chance.

Also make sure it's compatible with your laptop, I'm sure you can find threads on it if you google it.

goodluck

edit: also update your bios. even if your hardware is compatible with more ram, you have to make sure your software is as well.
                          Last edited by Amiss; 10-07-2012, 03:58 AM.

Comment

I have been working with computers since 1994 and I will ask that you return the RAM. You will never get it working correctly eventhough the specs says it max out at 8GB. Even if you shell out the money for Crucial or Kingston RAM, and it does boot up, you will get all kind of issues. For example blue screen, applications freeze, and bios won't update. I had that issue with my Dell Studio. Upgrade to 8GB, it didn't run any faster but I cannot do lots of things. Like I cannot install Dell app when normally with 4GB you could. Your laptop will not benefit with the 8GB much more than with 4GB. The problem is with voltage stability. You have to down clock the memory speed, and increase the voltage to the RAM sticks. Most laptop cannot do this. My top of the line Asus PC motherboard max out at 24GB of RAM. I had to down clock the RAM speed to get it running stable. However, I benefit b/c I need quantity RAM rather than speed. In my case, the more the better and speed does little to benefit.

So return the RAM, it will never work no matter with which ever RAM. Try this, run a 4GB with a 2GB stick. That should work. However, your laptop won't run dual channel. Any way, return the RAM, you won't get any benefit spending that money.
                            BTW, memtest only work accurate if your hardware is not an issue.
                            Last edited by Bad_dude; 10-07-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

"DDR III 800/1066M DIMM socket x 2 (max 4GB per slot)"
                              http://support.lenovo.com/en_US/down...DocID=PD022770

As long as you bought the correct kind of RAM it should work. If the RAM works in another laptop fine, then its not bad RAM.
                              Try one stick at a time and see if the BIOS/CMOS shows the proper amount of RAM. If so, then try two. I would need to know what the BIOS is showing for RAM installed.

I'm not seeing any BIOS updates for your laptop either. And reducing the speed of the RAM is probably not possible in your BIOS setup.

Comment

Working...
                              X