f22a1 an interference engine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

f22a1 an interference engine?

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob but is the f22 an interference engine? My timing belt snapped a couple of days ago and just wanted to find out so I know exactly what to do. I hear it isn't then it is so what is it?

she is down....but definately not out

It is definitely an interference engine. As is the H22. I know that from experience.
    Originally posted by Junior Smurff
    Nevermind guys, google search works wonders!

I don't have road rage, my car just goes faster than yours!

Accords are for winners. And Grandmothers. But mostly winners.

I have grown so Tired of Internet Illiteracy. Please learn proper spelling and grammar. For your sake and that of your children.

Comment

If you broke the timing belt you can go ahead and take the cylinder head off. You almost definitely bet valves.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

This is the first time this has happened to me. I was told that I would have heard some sort of internal contact between the valves and pistons.

Comment

Unless it was at idle when it broke then you probably bent some valves. It may have bent them even at idle. As Jarrett said, you might as well pull the head and check everything out.
          Originally posted by deevergote
          That is exactly why pork chops don't taste like chocolate!

Comment

Originally posted by 4GAccordH22 View Post
            It is definitely an interference engine. As is the H22. I know that from experience.

When I took my timing cover off I saw the timing belt was on the outside of the gear, on the right side instead in the middle.
            Is it possible for a timing belt to slip off the cam gear?

Do a leak down test or a compression test.
            Last edited by Mishakol129; 11-02-2012, 07:17 PM.
            “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
            ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

No. was traveling at around 35 mph barely any load on the motor. It sputtered and the car was jerking till I brought it to a stop. I noticed the rpms dropped to zero. I had this happen to another cb and it turned out to be the main relay so like a dummy I assumed the same. I checked today by taking the dizzy cap off and when cranked over the rotor didn't turn. I figured as much as fast as the starter was spinning the motor. Any ideas on the cheap?

Comment

Originally posted by jova1993cb View Post
                No. was traveling at around 35 mph barely any load on the motor. It sputtered and the car was jerking till I brought it to a stop. I noticed the rpms dropped to zero. I had this happen to another cb and it turned out to be the main relay so like a dummy I assumed the same. I checked today by taking the dizzy cap off and when cranked over the rotor didn't turn. I figured as much as fast as the starter was spinning the motor. Any ideas on the cheap?

Do a leak down test or a compression test. You will tell if you have good valves or not.
                “Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you.”
                ― Jeremy Clarkson

Very first tear down and rebuild. vvv
                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755"]http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=193755

Current Build, F23 block F22b dohc head:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203144

Comment

You cannot perform those tests on engine with a broken timing belt. I mean, you can try it. But the result is meaningless.
                  A&P-IA

Comment

I think I am just going to start tearing it down. Will give me a chance to check things out, replace seals and other things.

Comment

Originally posted by oyajicool View Post
                      You cannot perform those tests on engine with a broken timing belt. I mean, you can try it. But the result is meaningless.
                      Actually you can. Here's how. Remove the valve cover loosen all the rocker arm or valve adjusters this will allow all the valve to close. Do a leak down test on all the cylinders. If there is a leak then you are a few steps closer to removing the head. If there are no leaks then the cam can be turned without fear of bending valve. Line up all your timing marks and replace the belt don't forget to readjust the valves. It is worth a try.
                      Last edited by vh22accord; 11-02-2012, 10:13 PM.

IT IS WHAT IT IS

Comment

If the timing belt is broken, the cam shaft is not going to turn as you turn the crank. Please tell me how you could test compression properly on ALL of cylinders on such engine.

Why do you want to got through the trouble of replacing the broken belt when you know the engine is an interference engine?

It will be a waste of time if you ask me.
                        Last edited by oyajicool; 11-02-2012, 11:17 PM.
                        A&P-IA

Comment

If the timing belt is broken, the cam shaft is not going to turn as you turn the crank. Please tell me how you could test compression properly on ALL of cylinders on such engine.
                          If you remove the rocker assembly, all of the valves will seat, both intake and exhaust, on all cylinders, at the same time. No need to turn the cam shaft, as all valves are already (and always) seated. That is of course assuming they aren't bent; if they're bent they obviously won't seat properly and you will know this because that cylinder will leak. Significantly.
                          Last edited by reklipz; 11-03-2012, 03:46 AM. Reason: comma fetish

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think of that trick. I hope it would work for the op.

With my experiences with interference engines, I was not lucky at all.
                            A&P-IA

Comment

Yeah, I didn't think of that trick. I hope it would work for the op.
                              It's actually a fairly straightforward procedure, quick, easy, and decisive all in one! That's a rare find, . Either way, unless you were in neutral at 35, you're going to be tearing down that head, and most probably the whole block.

Comment

Working...
                              X