• Time
  • Show
Clear All

ingenious!

Comment

thats awsome call it the hk22 hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by 93twodoorLX View Post
        It is an awesome idea and a possible one at that considering, as mentioned, the JGTC accord had it done that way but. that is in an EXTREMELY competitive enviroment where any advantage at all it welcome because EVERYTHING is so close and it could come down to engine temps and small factors as such, but in the real world, this is a LOT of work and headache and fabrication for very little reward performance wise. ITBs can be done with less thought than flipping the head and as for engine temps, a few washers to raise the hood like a cowl would do the trick just as well with reports of 20 degree bay temps drops, which is significant. all i am trying to say is its probably more trouble than its worth. probably cheaper to just put a K20 swap in the and you are already better off for comparable price lol

-sean
        *****s right that what i ws thinkn when i first read this, glad someone else said it.

Comment

bisimoto heat shield intake gasket drops the temp pretty good too, and i'm sure you could get a head gasket made out of the same material for better results, and thats probably $100-$120. this just looks like $2000+ easy for not enough gains....have fun with it though..

the daily: 2001 VW golf 2.0 (tom01golf on local and vw forums)
          the project: f22a1 400-450whp (build thread to come when things start picking up)

Comment

Originally posted by ihaspotato View Post
            bisimoto heat shield intake gasket drops the temp pretty good too, and i'm sure you could get a head gasket made out of the same material for better results, and thats probably $100-$120. this just looks like $2000+ easy for not enough gains....have fun with it though..

dude, there is NO way a headgasket made of thermoplastic would hold up to anywhere close to the kinds of abuse produced by a combustion chamber. if you dont know what you are talking about, please dont spread false information.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
            Originally posted by Stephen Fry
            'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
            Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

i still see no use for this, other than a cool itb kit...

Comment

Originally posted by steelbluesleepR View Post

dude, there is NO way a headgasket made of thermoplastic would hold up to anywhere close to the kinds of abuse produced by a combustion chamber. if you dont know what you are talking about, please dont spread false information.
                ok maybe headgasket is a little more far fetched, but you still see the point...for all the money you're going to spend to get a 30-40 degrees cooler and a little more room for the ITBs is really not worth it. the bisi intake gasket claims 50 degrees cooler and 2-5whp gain for $48. i guess if you got the money to blow more power to ya, but just doesnt really seem logical.

the daily: 2001 VW golf 2.0 (tom01golf on local and vw forums)
                the project: f22a1 400-450whp (build thread to come when things start picking up)

Comment

Okay, if you think that this build yields a few ponies, think again.

These motors were beast with over 300hp in NA form. Try an ear piercing 8500RPM redline!!! All from a mere 2.0L. Might I also mention, they did not have VTEC.

The original F20B/ H22A spins counter-clockwise. The X-Trac sequential transmission used spins clockwise for the forward gears. The engine was altered to rotate clockwise (like a K-Series), thus allowing the use of the transmission. Also by reversing the head, it put the ITB's in front and with the custom intake boxes created a ram air for the ITB's. A lot more difficult in the rear.

Here is a spec sheet:

Engine:
                  Honda 2.0 litre DOHC (VTEC removed) 16 Valve, cylinder head reversed with intake plenum now forward facing, custom carbon fiber air box, 4 custom carbon fibre intake runners and quad throttles, custom extractors and 3-inch straight-through exhaust (only one back box muffler), forged steel internals, seven fuel pump setup, surge tank, all alloy radiator and oil cooler, alloy oil/air separator.

Drive Train:
                  X Trac 6-speed sequential manual gearbox, super-light flywheel, custom twin plate race clutch, X-Trac differential.

Performance:
                  320bhp

A few more shots:

Custom header:

At the time of building these beastful Accords, the K20 /24 was not available. I am sure that would be the motor of choice if done again. It already has 2.0 displacement and rotates the same direction as the X Trac.

Hope this post sheds some light on this marvel of an engine.

Black Housing DIY 1991 Wagon Morimoto Retrofit
                  JDM One-Piece Headlight Lens Repair

Comment

Originally posted by ihaspotato View Post
                    ok maybe headgasket is a little more far fetched, but you still see the point...for all the money you're going to spend to get a 30-40 degrees cooler and a little more room for the ITBs is really not worth it. the bisi intake gasket claims 50 degrees cooler and 2-5whp gain for $48. i guess if you got the money to blow more power to ya, but just doesnt really seem logical.
                    Okay, so reason would state that if you did the rotation alone, plus the gasket, you'd have at least 80-90 degrees cooler intake temps, right? I mean if by doing the rotation alone is 30-40 degrees and the gasket by itself is 50... I think it'd be worth it...

Thanks djcaz_aom for posting up some more knowledge on the matter.

Comment

subscribed

174.92 BHP / 171.45 WTQ

Comment

i really dont see the benefit in this, you could also decrease your intake temp by simply getting a water/meth kit and the bisimoto intake gasket for a grand total of 300 bucks which would in turn put out as much as a cooling as reversing the head. I couldnt imagine how much it would cost for this. ITBS alone and the custom header. doesnt seem benifical too me good thought but the pros dont out weigh the cost for it. But it would definatly seperate you from the rest.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by djcaz_aom View Post
                          Okay, if you think that this build yields a few ponies, think again.

The original F20B/ H22A spins counter-clockwise. The X-Trac sequential transmission used spins clockwise for the forward gears. The engine was altered to rotate clockwise (like a K-Series), thus allowing the use of the transmission. Also by reversing the head, it put the ITB's in front and with the custom intake boxes created a ram air for the ITB's. A lot more difficult in the rear.
                          thanks for posting that man, i didnt even think about the rotation direction of the motor. being able to use a sequential transmission is a HUGE advantage, with all of the other things (cooler intake charge, etc) just little bonuses.

as for doing this in your road car, there is no reason to. in addition to the custom head gasket, header, machine work, etc. you'd need new cams, a ton of head work...you are almost making a whole motor from scratch. and since it spins the wrong way, you'd have to work something out with a k-series tranny.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                          Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                          'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                          Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

I doubt the intake temps are the only benefit.

Everyone is talking about how much it would cost, but there's really only a special head gasket, some oil lines, lathing the cams, a smaller radiator, a custom header (which most folks get anyways i.e. bisi header), and the ITB's (which probably aren't necessary, it just allows the setup to work better).

Sure it costs more than just a straight swap, but this is a tried and true racing setup and 300 on a NA setup with only turning the head around and a bit of internal work is pretty damn good imo.

Cost will always be a factor, but there are plenty of setups on this site that probably have more money invested in their engines than it would take to run this setup properly. This is just a different approach.

Comment

Do this, then go to honda for a oil change.
                              wat?

Comment

yea...im not going to wast my money on this. there is no room for turbo and they only thing that would binifit from this is a n/a build... now thats like what like $2000 for the head reversal. oh and dont forget the 20 degrees cooler! BUT THEN about $1800. the h22 does about at MAX 190hp to the wheels. but then add the 20 degrees cooler, we will add a few just for luck sooooo what are we at. 192hp to the wheels. oh yea the itbs. ok +10hp. SO lets add it all now.

H2.2 = 190 hp
                                dumb idea = 2 hp
                                itb's = 10 hp

now you just being a silly nilly

H 2.2 Stock = 170hp (we are being realistic now!)= 0$
                                nice turbo kit = 60hp = 1200$

so 3800$ for + 12hp
                                or 1200$ for + 60hp

Comment

Working...
                                X