SUSP : Rack and Pinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by schierholz View Post
    I have to know if I need any new gaskets or seals the hanger is a year old the rack mount is a year and a half old do I need a gasket for the ehaust ?
    when you take it apart? it wouldn't hurt. the exhaust hanger should be fine, as long as its not cracked or damaged (i think i'm still running the OEM ones after all this time )

the gasket shouldn't cost too much to replace. IMO, I would do it just so that there won't be any complications, if any, later (like leaks or whatnot).
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Yes when I pull the rack I just wonder how many gaskets I need I will look into majestic.

Originally posted by evil_demon_01
      Do it once, do it right.
      Saving a dollar is not worth risking a life.
      Missing My
      White -91 LX Sedan - leather converted
      Mulberry 91 EX Sedan

The project 92

Comment

Bump, bump & bumpity bump. Thanks for the DIY, I am getting started on this job first thing in morning. I am dealing with one exhaust pipe from header to muffler. Also, poor bastard so I am pulling my r&p from a local junk yard. Wish me luck and will post up my results.

Comment

Originally posted by P5ylance View Post
          Second Question: There are tubes connecting to the dust boots. I replaced the boot on the drivers side, but the tube is difficult to re-attach since it is very short. what is this tube for, and is it important? I understand you should always reconnect things, however, this tube was connected to a torn boot, and thus was exposed to air and all sorts of stuff so not re-connecting it is the same as its previous condition and nothing bad really occurred.
          The tube is important. It moves air from one boot to the other (when you turn). I don't know exactly why that is necessary, but all R&P units that I have ever seen have one.
          1991 LX Wagon

Comment

I just thought that I should add that:

1. It is way easier to move the hard power steering lines out of the way if you disconnect your sway bar end links and drop the driver's side of the sway bar by unbolting it from the chassis (this is a good time to replace your end links and bushings).
            2. You should really uses flare nut wrenches for disconnecting the hard lines.
            3. You definitely want to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left as to move the driver's side tie rod in and the passenger's side out.
            1991 LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by Tabor View Post
              I just thought that I should add that:

1. It is way easier to move the hard power steering lines out of the way if you disconnect your sway bar end links and drop the driver's side of the sway bar by unbolting it from the chassis (this is a good time to replace your end links and bushings).
              2. You should really uses flare nut wrenches for disconnecting the hard lines.
              3. You definitely want to turn the steering wheel all the way to the left as to move the driver's side tie rod in and the passenger's side out.
              available at any auto parts store or Harbor Freight tools

dumbass me stripped a flare nut on my old Impala and had to buy a new hose AND the properflare nut wrenches
              http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Here's my rack and pinion vids...

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWqV5Jb_-wM

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xO3VDdLHLM

Hope this helps a bit...

"There are only two types of people in this world... Those who run & win, and those who sit at the sidelines & watch the winners pass them by."

My YouTube Channel! - There's more videos here!
                Check 'em out, hit LIKE, or even better, stay updated with more vids when you SUBSCRIBE, including vids of my JDM H23A swap!

Comment

Necroposting

I have a bad inner tie rod and need to know the proper size of the crowsfoot style wrench needed to remove it
                  http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                    Necroposting

I have a bad inner tie rod and need to know the proper size of the crowsfoot style wrench needed to remove it
                    17 mm
                    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Is there a trick to screw back in the hard lines?
                      I'm having a difficult time putting back the hard lines. The screws don't want to go in or turn, and I am beginning to think the size isn't correct from the reman. part.
                      I don't have a flare wrench and was thinking of getting some but I doubt it's what is stopping me from putting the lines back.

Comment

Those fittings are very difficult to thread in. I think it is due to the stiffness of the hard lines. The way that I usually tackle the task is by loosening the rack mount bolts so that it can move/rotate allowing the fittings to fall into place and then retightening the rack mount bolts.
                        Last edited by SSMAccord; 06-04-2021, 04:34 PM.
                        http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

thank you, i'll give that a try. was hoping i wouldn't have to go into the hood since the car is high. ‍
                          ordering flare wrench also.

update: I got them back in! Did everything from under the car blindly touching the lines and screws. Man it's a life saver undoing the lines to get them back it.

Thank you for the posts, how-to and videos yall!
                          Last edited by ponso; 06-07-2021, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X