Anyone here right programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone here right programs

I am just looking into writing programs. And starting to attempt it. Anyone here really good at it or have any good advice?

Originally posted by andrew22888 View Post
    I am just looking into writing programs. And starting to attempt it. Anyone here really good at it or have any good advice?
    Syntax and spelling are important Besides that, grab a book and start reading a language you want to learn.

Comment

I would highly recommend the "Head First" series of programming books. They are quite good. C# would be a good language to start with, it's quite commonly used these days.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

I make a living writing software as a software engineer.

If you're looking for a really versatile language, I would recommend you start with Python. Mastering Python would be a real accomplishment, and would allow you to jump into nearly any language without much difficulty and have a good grasp of what's going on behind the scenes. Unfortunately, there is much more to programming than just the languages (and there-in the syntax and semantics) themselves: things like standard libraries ("pre-written code" that is defined by the same standards body as the language itself) and common frameworks and supporting libraries are basically essential as well.

There are plenty of good, free, resources on the Internet for getting started in most any language. My roommate is attempting to do the same thing right now, and the guides he was following seemed rather fruitful: I'll ask him for a recommendation and post up if it's useful.

Comment

Originally posted by reklipz View Post
          I make a living writing software as a software engineer.

If you're looking for a really versatile language, I would recommend you start with Python. Mastering Python would be a real accomplishment, and would allow you to jump into nearly any language without much difficulty and have a good grasp of what's going on behind the scenes. Unfortunately, there is much more to programming than just the languages (and there-in the syntax and semantics) themselves: things like standard libraries ("pre-written code" that is defined by the same standards body as the language itself) and common frameworks and supporting libraries are basically essential as well.

There are plenty of good, free, resources on the Internet for getting started in most any language. My roommate is attempting to do the same thing right now, and the guides he was following seemed rather fruitful: I'll ask him for a recommendation and post up if it's useful.
          I love python overall, but man do I hate the forced indentation and lack of strongly typed variables.
          Originally posted by sweet91accord
          if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
            I love python overall, but man do I hate the forced indentation and lack of strongly typed variables.
            Call me lazy, but I *love* dynamic languages. I feel like the environment it creates is one where the compiler/parser finally "gets" what you are trying to do, without needing you to be excessively explicit all the time. I can appreciate it a ton, coming from 20 years of both hobby and professional programming experience... but I admit it doesn't lend itself well to teaching proper programming technique. But when you know what you are doing and you are looking for shorthand freedoms, its a DREAM

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
            Current cars:
            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
              Call me lazy
              Lazy pile. Dynamic languages are a PITA when doing any sort of non-trivial production software, IMO. I find myself doing (or wishing to do) the things strictly/strongly/statically typed, compiled languages in the dynamic language anyway, which just creates more work and is more prone to error. Finding out about type errors at runtime is just silly, especially when you're not the only developer on the project.

I don't want to derail the OP's question though: I stand by my Python recommendation. C#, and even Java, are also good candidates. I would prefer to develop in C++, and the same statements about mastery apply for C++ as well, but I feel it would turn away most newcomers.

In the end, it's really just a matter of finding a language and a suitable guide to follow through to the end: if you complete it and learn something along the way, then it's definitely a valuable lesson. Run through it to the end, and then find another. That's your best way to get better in this realm: practice and experience.
              Last edited by reklipz; 12-12-2013, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Sorry guys was off work for awhile so didn't bother getting on the internet enjoyed the time off lol. Anyways well i'm hoping to eventually learn to write a program close to spice csm for my current job. As we can't find anyone else that can do it so i'm gonna start from the bottom and hope to get it done. You said c# was a good one to start with. I'll have to pick up head first and read it and go from there.

Comment

Working...
                X