Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Swap and boost questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swap and boost questions.

I am looking into getting an H22 swap, and have it boosted. I do not want to do any of the work myself, I just don't have the time and the resources, I really don't, so please don't try to convince me. I would like the learning experience but I really really can't.

I have:
    • 92 Coupe EX
    • F22a6 with 245k mi
    • F tranny, 2nd gear synchro is crapping the bed
    • Brand new oem clutch, timing belt, and water pump
    • Brand new header, and full 2.5 in. exhaust

I need:
    • Low mileage JDM H22
    • H22 transmission, I don't need an LSD
    • 300-350ish whp
    • Reliability (daily driver)
    • New CV boots

So I'm guessing I'm looking at about $1,300 for the H22 and tranny.

Questions:
    1. Where should I take this to be done? I live in Spanish Fork Utah, there is a swap shop at "Japanese Auto Repair" in Provo UT, I don't know if this is best though, anyone know anything/anyone better?
    2. Which turbo do I want for my power/reliability/price needs? How much boost?
    3. Should I have it built? If so what should be done? Cost effective?
    4. About how much should all the labor cost?
    5. Dyno tuning?
    6. Should I buy the parts and just pay for labor?
    7. Is my new F tranny clutch reusable in the H? Is this worth it?
    8. Is $3,000 - $3,500 total cost feasible?

When you guys start throwing out abbreviated names, and specs of components it goes right over my head so please be easy on my noob self.
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!

My clean CB7

first of all i have to say you have your head on straight for chosing the H. . .(I have one) the site www.tigerautoparts.com should have the best deals you can find. . . as far as the tranny goes you can use your f but i would suggest going all the way h but its up to you and with the H it would be best for you to go LSD that motha puts out trust me and your gonna want all the traction you can get especially if your gonna boost it thats my next project but i've been doing a little research. . . so that leads to my question. . . how much horsepower are you lookin to put out exactly and is this positively gonna be a daily drive because the stock H can have a turbo but i wouldn't suggest you do that because of the simple face that you can't boost it over 6psi . . . i think i know its a low number so you seriously need to do some research if your planned on doing that if i was you and i had the money to do it i'd get all my machine work done get all the rods and pistons and all that good stuff. . . get it right internally if you know what i mean then boost it. . . if your anything like me 6 just won't be enough. . . im thinkin numbers like 18psi . . . . 460hp. . . know what i mean

oh yeah ps. . . i got my motor with 22k 1mth warranty and shipping for about 850

one more thing before im out. . . 3000 will get your foot in the door but if you want everything done correctly don't worry about the bill until you get it out the shop

Comment

$3000?

No.

Tiger is a HUGE risk. I've seen about 6 motors come from them that are completely shot. I'd go with www.hmotorsonline.com. More expensive, but MUCH more reliable. They're also in California, rather than Canada... which means if you get a crap motor, you can do something about it. You don't want to get involved in an international lawsuit!

The H22 swap alone, after replacing belts, seals, fluids, etc... will most likely approach your $3000 mark, ESPECIALLY if you're paying someone to do it for you! Proper turbo parts should cost around that much as well... then installation and tuning...
      Also, with that sort of power, the used clutch that comes with the motor isn't going to last long. The axles may be shot. Motor mounts might need replacing.

Your budget should start at about $7000 if you expect this thing to last. Boosting a stock-block H22 generally isn't a great idea, especially if you don't know enough to do it yourself (and therefore not know enough to make sure someone else is doing it properly!)

Oh, and pookie, I merged your posts. No need to have 3 posts one after the other. The "edit" button works if you want to add something.

Comment

You'll want close to $5000 and that's just to boost on the stock motor. I have a boosted h22 and not including the motor the price tag was upwards of $5000 on a stock motor. I have replaced several things (clutch, mounts, seals, gaskets, upgraded axles). I did have everything done professionally and I used quality parts, but I wanted a reliable setup and that what I have. Oh and it is not a "simple fact" you can only run 6psi as was mentioned, I am running 8psi on a conservative tune. Before going through with anything, your best bet is to find a good tuner and someone you can trust

SOLD!!
        Boosted H22
        375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote. View Post
          $3000?

No.

Tiger is a HUGE risk. I've seen about 6 motors come from them that are completely shot. I'd go with www.hmotorsonline.com. More expensive, but MUCH more reliable. They're also in California, rather than Canada... which means if you get a crap motor, you can do something about it. You don't want to get involved in an international lawsuit!

The H22 swap alone, after replacing belts, seals, fluids, etc... will most likely approach your $3000 mark, ESPECIALLY if you're paying someone to do it for you! Proper turbo parts should cost around that much as well... then installation and tuning...
          Also, with that sort of power, the used clutch that comes with the motor isn't going to last long. The axles may be shot. Motor mounts might need replacing.

Your budget should start at about $7000 if you expect this thing to last. Boosting a stock-block H22 generally isn't a great idea, especially if you don't know enough to do it yourself (and therefore not know enough to make sure someone else is doing it properly!)

Oh, and pookie, I merged your posts. No need to have 3 posts one after the other. The "edit" button works if you want to add something.
          I knew it was something like that. . . I just got me another block a while ago and im sending it off to get it sleeved and polished and all that in a month or so
          My BAD bout all the replys im still trying to figure all this stuff out. . . but back to it . .i've had my first and only h motor from tiger. . . and haven't had any problems outside of electrical and vaccum lines and stuff like that, not sayin that they don't have no duds but if he's gonna turbo it any way he could buy a cheap engine from tiger and get it machined worked instead of spending alot of cash. . .think about it like this you said "The H22 swap alone, after replacing belts, seals, fluids, etc... will most likely approach your $3000 mark" ok if he buys a a cheap engine around like 850 he can have all the machine work done and still come out better but cheaper not saying that your wrong deevergote but im just going off personal experience this is the honest truth. . . i done my complete swap for about 1100..
          Last edited by Pookie7223; 06-30-2009, 05:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pookie7223 View Post
            I knew it was something like that. . . I just got me another block a while ago and im sending it off to get it sleeved and polished and all that in a month or so
            My BAD bout all the replys im still trying to figure all this stuff out. . . but back to it . .i've had my first and only h motor from tiger. . . and haven't had any problems outside of electrical and vaccum lines and stuff like that, not sayin that they don't have no duds but if he's gonna turbo it any way he could buy a cheap engine from tiger and get it machined worked instead of spending alot of cash. . .think about it like this you said "The H22 swap alone, after replacing belts, seals, fluids, etc... will most likely approach your $3000 mark" ok if he buys a a cheap engine around like 850 he can have all the machine work done and still come out better but cheaper not saying that your wrong deevergote but im just going off personal experience this is the honest truth. . . i done my complete swap for about 1100..
            True... but it doesn't sound like he's looking to do a full rebuild. If he were to plan to go that route, you can get a blown H22 for $200 and rebuild it with forged internals and iron sleeves. That WOULD be the smarter way to do it, but it can potentially be more expensive.

The less money you put into something, the greater the risk is. That risk is increased dramatically as you allow other people to do things to your car that you don't fully understand.

Comment

True that hommie. . . . that why i gain as much knowledge as i can and do all my work myself. . . wish i knew how to tune ecu's. . .

Comment

that's why we have an ECU tuning forum

I watched d112crzy go from a tuning noob to the guy to go to (and now a mod of that section) when it comes to ECUs... the info is out there, you just have to apply yourself! (I have to take my own advice... I know very little myself!)

Comment

i know you said you don't have the resources but check out the book "maximum boost" to at least let you know whats going on with it. It is a really rad book!

Comment

Originally posted by babbott92 View Post

Questions:
                    1. Where should I take this to be done? I live in Spanish Fork Utah, there is a swap shop at "Japanese Auto Repair" in Provo UT, I don't know if this is best though, anyone know anything/anyone better?
                    2. Which turbo do I want for my power/reliability/price needs? How much boost?
                    3. Should I have it built? If so what should be done? Cost effective?
                    4. About how much should all the labor cost?
                    5. Dyno tuning?
                    6. Should I buy the parts and just pay for labor?
                    7. Is my new F tranny clutch reusable in the H? Is this worth it?
                    8. Is $3,000 - $3,500 total cost feasible?
                    1. For 350whp in a daily driver you definitely want to have a built engine
                    2. If you are going to pay a shop to do everything, you are looking at $7,000 AT LEAST for this setup like deevergote said.
                    3. You will need dyno tuning
                    4. I think you should do as much as you can yourself to learn more about your car and make sure it is done RIGHT
                    5. You will need to invest in a quality clutch, a stock clutch is not adequate for that much power

I personally think that there is no need to buy an H22 because you already have an F22 which you can rebuild with forged pistons/rods, you don't really need to sleeve it for your power goal. You could get your 350whp with about $4,000 in parts +labor if you go with the F22.

Comment

nad auto in georgia you can get the whole jdm front clip they usually have like 30000 on them. mine was very no sludge oil was gold, timing belt and water pump was still new.
                      nadauto.com

Comment

Hi
                        Last edited by Accord_GTR; 07-02-2009, 12:55 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X