X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jdm mirror wiring revisited (w/pics) 56k warning

this is in reference to my thread below:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=11545

here is my experience when installing the infamous power folding mirrors. i was lucky enough to find a set for a coupe and since i have not yet seen an in-depth thread regarding the wiring, placement of relay, positioning of the mirrors, and explanations, i have decided to take some time and enlighten you all on my findings. enjoy!

below is the diagram i used to wire done by arrozburner. it is very self explanatory. for those with LX/EX models, parts C, D, and E on each mirror already exist as part of the stock wiring that goes to the main switch. DX models need to add them to make it work. i'm not going to go too deep into the actual wiring. if you can't even wire up a lightbulb, this isn't a project for you.

for those that are curious, the DC integra (94-01) mirror switch is the same as CB accords. i needed a replacement for the switch that came with my mirrors b/c i didn't like the huge gouges it had and the folding button icon was faded. here is a comparison of the two. the brand new integra piece is on the left. you can see the ugly gouge marks from the accord piece on the right.

here is the backside showing the pinouts. besides the color and spring bracket, they are essentially the same unit. it plugged right into the accord harness.

now the good stuff. my driver's side door looks like this after wiring. you can see where i mounted the relay. one set of the wires run to the driver's mirror and the other "jumps" the door gap and goes under the dash to the other mirror. two run the power and ground which were tapped nearby. i only needed to add one wire to the stock harness and that was the wire "a" going into the main switch. this one wire runs the fold button. i used the same method to extract ECU pins to extract the one pin to add to the main switch harness. follow the diagram and it should all work!

of course make sure it all functions properly before putting back the door panel. ensure that the relay box doesn't interfere with the window or panel itself. mine didn't but for the sedan guys it might be a different story. here is the switch as it sits now.
    1cor10:31
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

now for the discussion regarding the jdm mirror differences.

here is my driver's side mirror. please excuse my flip-flops and bear legs. winter in california sucks LOL. ok back to the lecture at hand. note the angle of the mirror...

...and compare it to my passenger side.

notice that my driver's side mirror has a steeper angle. since this is a jdm piece it came from a RHD configuration (duh!). obviously the usdm counterparts are opposite of this. the angle greatly affects visibility! i HAVE to adjust the mirror all the way over to the opposite side just for me to be able to see out of them. here is my driver's side. it's positioned all the way to the left.

and my passenger side is positioned all the way to the left as well. you can see the crazy gap it leaves.

with them all the way to the left, i still can't see much from my passenger side mirror. this is also due to the convex mirror being on the driver's side and not on the passenger side which is where it should belong. the passenger side has a normal mirror now. but since the driver's side now has the convex mirror, i can see way over to where my blind spots used to be. i still look over my shoulder to ensure clearance b/c the "objects in the mirror are closer than they appear" rule still applies even though it's not stamped on there.

it took some getting used to but the mirrors aren't too bad to see out of. just use basic common sense. they work as they should and the fold in at the touch of a button. here is the mirror folded, for those that can't imagine how it may look.

lastly here is a farther angle. you can see my neighbor's 91 EX 5-speed. it used to be my father's car but he sold it after being freshly painted to my neighbor for cheap ($2200!) and it's bone stock with 170k-miles.

in regards to swapping the mirrors, it is very possible though you can only swap over the mirror itself. the mirror itself sits on a base (a part of it is that black outline you see that frames the mirror) and that base is what the motors tilt and turn to adjust its angle. you can dismount the mirror from the base. if you really want to know how, i can scan the pages from my honda manual on how to do it. you CAN NOT swap over the internals as they differ greatly. the wiring is integrated and i can't see how one is able to remove them and be able to return it back.

well i hope we all learned somethings here. for those that actually took time to read what i typed, thank you! it's not easy to describe your findings. enjoy your newfound information kids .
    - 92 LX coupe
    - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

good shit mah du .

good to see you finally got the pwr folds.
      "LAND OF THE GREAT"!! OSAKA,JAPAN

Comment

Carlos
        My Members Ride Page

Comment

Great job timmy, this will come in handy to all who will be installing there mirrors, or who are in the process of buying some

Comment

thanks alot son that was a big help

Comment

Originally posted by yeamans17
              does anyone know if its possible to switch the mirror glass from usdm mirrors into the jdm mirrors, i wont be installing mine til may, but if its possible, and it makes it easier to see then maybe thate is a solution
              No...I tried and it wouldn't work right.

Comment

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Thanks man for taking the time to post this up and taking pics....this will help me out TONS
                ________
                Marijuana
                Last edited by accord4thgen; 05-12-2011, 10:44 AM.
                無限WESTCOAST FUKINWITCHU ACCORD4THGEN 1990 CB7 Coupe無限

Comment

man thats tight... cant wait to get mine.

97% Stock
                  Check Out My Cb7

Comment

thanks for the diagram. will be using it this weekend to hook up mine.

maury

Comment

If you take the mirrors apart, would you be able to change the angle? i would be guessing it should be possible to make one mirror not fold out all the way... I agree it will be very difficult to make the other mirror fold out further...
                      But does anyone who has seen a set like these think it might be possible? Or tried it?
                      Accord Aerodeck 1991 (CB8) JDM H22A

Sleeper!

Comment

you cannot change the angle. it's all in the housing. the jdm mirrors are completely different from the udsm; all of it. the housing and internals are all different and nothing is swappable. only the mirror itself can be swapped but that has to be heated in order to be removed. the pivot that the mirror sits on is different as well.

that's the difference between RHD mirrors and LHD mirrors.
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

I don't like bumping ancient threads, but I just finished installing my power-folding mirrors and have a few things to add.

The mirror-folding mechanism in the sedan JDM mirrors is a DIRECT FIT into USDM housings. AlmostJDM has a thread that explains the minor modification (1) necessary to swap housings. Swapping the JDM mirror glass with USDM mirror glass further decreases the RHD-driver-angle problem. With my installation in USDM housing and USDM glass, my mirror angles are as perfect as they were with the OEM setup.

Finally, to ease the wiring process, I highly recommend getting some junkyard mirror wiring. You will have to add 2 female connectors to each mirror, 2 male connectors to each mirror, and one male connector on the main switch. All of these connectors (pins) can be attained from junkyard parts.
                          Last edited by Nurega; 03-21-2012, 12:56 AM.
                          Original-Owner 1991 Honda Accord
                          2005 Acura TSX 6MT
                          2010 Mazda Miata Grand Touring

Comment

Exactly what I did. Those extra male and female pins are invaluable to doing this with an OEM-quality install.
                            My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

i appreciate the bump! adding useful content is not frowned upon !
                              - 92 LX coupe
                              - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Working...
                              X