Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ideas for AWD CBs! Motors? Drivetrains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
    The thought is always presented as if it was the first time, too... and the person posting it always asks "has anyone done it?"

Only one in maybe a dozen threads like this have I seen the creator of the thread show that they actually put effort into the idea before presenting it. As in "would it be possible to use these parts, and do this?" Normally, it's "can I just take an AWD Mitsubishi or Honda and make my CB7 AWD?" It's never Subaru, never BMW, never VW... always Mitsu and Honda. For some reason, those makes must somehow seem easier to use than others!

I researched making my 86 Accord (in my sig at the moment) RWD using S13 parts. I made a thread about it on 3geez.com, and got laughed at... as expected. However, before I even discussed it, I took measurements of an S13, and measurements of my car, and put together a vague idea of how I'd approach it.
    If I had a garage and the necessary equipment and knowledge to weld a car together, I'd probably have done it.
    It is true that we don't always know someone's tools and garage capabilities, but it is true that most are not close to the finances and mechanical ability to complete something like rwd or 4wd. But as a community, if someone is serious we would support as best ad we could. It's just.... I can count one local s2k rwd civic I've seen locally, and the mentioned 240 rwd project here on the forum, and the pics of the v8 coupe from long ago. There was a s2k project thameone on here started, but I never saw posts of it being completed. Put that in percentage vs all the threads started and its quite laughable without progress shown.
    My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

You can often tell someone's level of seriousness by the amount of thought they put into it, and how easily they're talked out of it. If you don't realize from the start that it's going to be one hell of an involved project, then you'll only be wasting money if you even begin.
      AlmostJDM has made significant progress with his build. It's taking a long time, but he's gone further with it than anyone else on this site has. 90% of the posts in his threads are positive, urging him to keep going.

Comment

There are plenty of options for AWD drivetrains, if I were to do it. I was just wondering what the community thought of an Evo drivetrain specifically. I like the F20B, because 1. it isn't as common as the H22 that nearly everyone with a CB7 or Prelude swaps 2. It has good hp for a stock motor, even an H23A1 has less with a full Apexi catback, high flow cat, and an AEM SRI 3. I probably wouldn't get too involved with internals anyway. Mostly just bolt ons. Plus, there has always been something more appealing about it. I know it wouldn't be cheap, or easy, but it's what I want, and I would be more than happy if I accomplished it. It's just one site I use to check prices, btw.

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Comment

Because you want it is fine. Because it's different is an idiotic reason. Only a very small percentage of the people that see it will know it's a swap, those that know won't know by sight what it is (most people will think it's a B18, because that's the DOHC VTEC engine everyone uses, right?) Those that know what it is won't be impressed. Those that are impressed will be impressed for about 30 seconds.
          If it's what you want powering your car, fine. But don't get that piece of shit engine just to be different. Also, stock for stock, a CB7 with an H23A1 would be just as fast, given the wider powerband and greater torque output. Horsepower isn't everything, especially in larger, heavier cars like ours. ESPECIALLY if you plan on trying to power all 4 wheels!

The Evo drivetrain is a good choice, but damn expensive. Older Evos, the ones we didn't get here, shared their AWD system with the Eclipse and Talon. You'll be much more likely to find a donor Eclipse to rip apart. You're going to need far more than just the AWD stuff. You'll need to cut out portions of that car and weld them to your own.

Comment

And then what will you have. A Frankensteined Galant VR4

"Better" idea would be to find an old Mitsubishi Mirage, get the corresponding EVO shipped over, do a mix n match. Been done a ton of times, but those shells are hard to find.

Originally posted by lordoja
            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Because you want it is fine. Because it's different is an idiotic reason. Only a very small percentage of the people that see it will know it's a swap, those that know won't know by sight what it is (most people will think it's a B18, because that's the DOHC VTEC engine everyone uses, right?) Those that know what it is won't be impressed. Those that are impressed will be impressed for about 30 seconds.
              If it's what you want powering your car, fine. But don't get that piece of shit engine just to be different. Also, stock for stock, a CB7 with an H23A1 would be just as fast, given the wider powerband and greater torque output. Horsepower isn't everything, especially in larger, heavier cars like ours. ESPECIALLY if you plan on trying to power all 4 wheels!

The Evo drivetrain is a good choice, but damn expensive. Older Evos, the ones we didn't get here, shared their AWD system with the Eclipse and Talon. You'll be much more likely to find a donor Eclipse to rip apart. You're going to need far more than just the AWD stuff. You'll need to cut out portions of that car and weld them to your own.

What he said. Why you would want less torque for awd is beyond me.. I got a story too.. lee, aka da9b16 on cb7tuner put a clean Jdm f20b motor in his wagon last year and it blew up spewing oil everywhere.. while he was cruising at 30mph on the service road... A couple weeks after he swapped it in. And just bolt ons and a tune for pushing an awd system.. you are going to have a slower than stock car... You won't even break traction much with fwd on any swap with just bolt ons, so it's just not worth it IM0
              My 91 Accord F22B DOHC MR

My 1996 Civic Ex H23A VTEC MR

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                And then what will you have. A Frankensteined Galant VR4

"Better" idea would be to find an old Mitsubishi Mirage, get the corresponding EVO shipped over, do a mix n match. Been done a ton of times, but those shells are hard to find.
                I'd get a Galant VR-4, swap in a CB7 interior, run some Accord wheels, and get creative with the body panels to make them look like Accord panels. It'd be easier, and it'd maintain the structural integrity of the car. It would also ensure that everything will function as it should mechanically.

Of course, if I had a Galant VR-4, I wouldn't disgrace it by dressing it up like a CB7.

Comment

Buy a 02-04 WRX wagon, get a stealth FMIC kit and a scoopless hood. Debadge, stock looking exhaust with some bolt on mods. Theres a sleeper for way less money.

Comment

Better than that... get a Saabaru. Saab 9-2x.

But the point here isn't another car. The point is the CB7, or at least a car that looks like a CB7.

Comment

Better than that... get a Saabaru. Saab 9-2x.

But the point here isn't another car. The point is the CB7, or at least a car that looks like a CB7.
                      Looks like a cb7 huh? How about a DB1? You could use a CRV drivetrain, a turbo CR-VTEC hybrid build engine... The path has been blazed for all of this in the past with mixed success.

Comment

Look up AlmostJDM's RWD conversion project. Converting a CB7 to AWD would be just as complicated, if not more so.

Could it be done? Sure. Would it be worth the effort? Perhaps. You'd certainly have something unique, provided you can actually make it work reliably.

Personally, if I wanted an early 90s midsize family sedan with AWD and a turbo 4g63, I'd just buy a Galant VR4. Hell, it'd probably be cheaper and easier to make a Galant VR4 look like a CB7 than it would be to convert a CB7 to run an Evo engine and trans!
                        Mike we think alot alike
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

I researched making my 86 Accord (in my sig at the moment) RWD using S13 parts. I made a thread about it on 3geez.com, and got laughed at... as expected. However, before I even discussed it, I took measurements of an S13, and measurements of my car, and put together a vague idea of how I'd approach it.
                          If I had a garage and the necessary equipment and knowledge to weld a car together, I'd probably have done it.
                          Why would they laugh at that??? I used to be big I to ford probes, and it always seems like someone is building a RWD one on probetalk. The last one used a miata as a doner car...and it looks like it came factory

Comment

Probably because, like on this site, there's always some noob with this great idea... and very few ever follow through.

RWD Probe would be cool to see. I've never seen one. They were pretty neat little cars for what they were. FWD was a bad platform for a sporty car like that, I feel. The Probe was more of a Prelude competitor than the 240sx competitor it should've been. Especially since it damn near replaced the Mustang!

Comment

Im not asking what I need ir what to do, or saying that I am going to, I was just asking what people thought of it

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
                              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

Comment

Which is why I moved it to the Off Topic section, since it wasn't a technical question to begin with.

To be honest, though... a thread like this isn't much better than saying "hey guys, what would you think if I built a zombie robot dog with lasers for eyes and a jetpack so he could fly!"

Comment

Working...
                                X