5th Gear Grind on H22A Trans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5th Gear Grind on H22A Trans

So my new transmission makes A HUGE difference, loving it ! but i now have this "dreaded" 5th gear grind. When shifting at anything higher then say 1.5k RPMs it grinds. I was reading online and alot of forums say its common for the H22 Trans to do this and its because of a mismanufactured shifting fork or a syncro.

So i was wondering if anyone else here has this problem and if/how they fixed it?
    Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
    Originally posted by deevergote
    den das al u ned u no dat u get wurs gas milge tho rite?
    These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Originally posted by tutsuo View Post
    So my new transmission makes A HUGE difference, loving it ! but i now have this "dreaded" 5th gear grind. When shifting at anything higher then say 1.5k RPMs it grinds. I was reading online and alot of forums say its common for the H22 Trans to do this and its because of a mismanufactured shifting fork or a syncro.

So i was wondering if anyone else here has this problem and if/how they fixed it?
    you'll need a new 5th gear syncro and sleeve set. All you have to get is a sleeve set and it'll include the syncro and spring. Hopefully your 5th gear is not too badly chewed up. If its only been doing it for a little while, then you should be fine and shouldn't have to replace the gear, but if its been doing it for years, then for sure its toast.

A new syncro sleeve is about 125, since you're in there you should also replace the mainshaft and countershaft (30 and 45 bucks) bearings because they'll probably have some play.

I spent $205 at my local Honda dealer about 1 month ago fixing the same issue on my M2B4 LSD tranny, but I had a pretty hefty discount, more so than you can find on majestic since I shop there so much. So plan on paying 250 or so for those things. I also swapped in an f22 fifth gear as well so my RPMs are at 3200 at 80 instead of 4000.

But 100% this is exactly what you'll need to fix that issue.

Here's my thread I made with my worn out 5th gear sleeve

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187552

member's ride thread
    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
    91 Accord SE 176k
    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
      you'll need a new 5th gear syncro and sleeve set. All you have to get is a sleeve set and it'll include the syncro and spring. Hopefully your 5th gear is not too badly chewed up. If its only been doing it for a little while, then you should be fine and shouldn't have to replace the gear, but if its been doing it for years, then for sure its toast.

A new syncro sleeve is about 125, since you're in there you should also replace the mainshaft and countershaft (30 and 45 bucks) bearings because they'll probably have some play.

I spent $205 at my local Honda dealer about 1 month ago fixing the same issue on my M2B4 LSD tranny, but I had a pretty hefty discount, more so than you can find on majestic since I shop there so much. So plan on paying 250 or so for those things. I also swapped in an f22 fifth gear as well so my RPMs are at 3200 at 80 instead of 4000.

But 100% this is exactly what you'll need to fix that issue.

Here's my thread I made with my worn out 5th gear sleeve

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187552

Thanks for the great info, i have that exact tranny.
      Jesus drove a Honda, he just didnt talk about it like us. Proof - John 12:49 "For i did not speak of my own accord."
      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

Comment

We had a grinding fifth gear, and got some new synchros for our tranny. Opened it up and the synchro ring for 5th was in 2 pieces laying on the bottom on the tranny. The 5th grea kit from Honda seemed too expensive (same as what we paid for the whole tranny).

Luckily we had an extra F23 tranny sitting around the the ring and sliding grear (maybe called dog clutch?) fit right in the H22 tranny perfect and were in much better shape.
        We are "Slow and Reckless Racing", LIKE us on Facebook to keep up with our progress.

https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Sl...03065806427543

Comment

Originally posted by Slow View Post
          We had a grinding fifth gear, and got some new synchros for our tranny. Opened it up and the synchro ring for 5th was in 2 pieces laying on the bottom on the tranny. The 5th grea kit from Honda seemed too expensive (same as what we paid for the whole tranny).

Luckily we had an extra F23 tranny sitting around the the ring and sliding grear (maybe called dog clutch?) fit right in the H22 tranny perfect and were in much better shape.
          when i opened up my M2B4, the spring was in 2 pieces broken inside the tranny. But i had also been grinding since May 2010, so almost 2 yrs. I'm sure if you rebuild the tranny right as it starts grinding, you could possibly salvage the 5th gear. Mine on the other hand was completely shot, so I opted to put the F22 5th since I got it for 20 bucks shipped and it'll help boost my fuel economy on the highway.

The car still has good highway power in 5th with the RPMs being 700 lower. Its also way quieter by a big margin.

member's ride thread
          91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Wow im happy i ran into this thread as i guess its a know problem? but i too also have a 5th gear geind in my M2B4

Lou's Build Thread!
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
            "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

Thank god nobody said you need a whole new tranny. Those high gear syncros go bad all the time. Remember how you take everything off because when you try to put it together it seems like more parts than you actually took off. Good luck man
              10th Anniversary Accord.
              05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Originally posted by CB7H22Los View Post
                Wow im happy i ran into this thread as i guess its a know problem? but i too also have a 5th gear geind in my M2B4
                yeah, well its definitely more common than in nonLSD trannys thats for sure. If you wanna be cheap, it should only cost you about 125 in parts to fix if your 5th gear is alright, but like I said above, replace those input shaft and main shaft bearings to save a headache later down the road. One of mine had a LOT of play in it and I've only put on 30k miles since I got it from an importer in Anaheim, CA w/ 45-65k miles they claimed.

member's ride thread
                91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

i was told to get 3 GM Syncro Mesh. and that would fix my problem, isnt that tanny bearing kit like $525?

Comment

i was told to get 3 GM Syncro Mesh. and that would fix my problem, isnt that tanny bearing kit like $525?
                    no, don't put that in your car, if your trans is already grinding, its a physical problem, no fluid is going to magically fix anything. Plus it'll stain the inside of the case a dark grey.

And you don't need to buy a bearing kit, although that would be good, not necessary. They'relike 225 off syncrotech's website. Just get the mainshaft and countershaft bearings is the expert advise I was told by a guy that rebuilds all the local honda trannys for all the racers. He literally had my case apart in 10 minutes, looking at the condition of the synros and gears.

member's ride thread
                    91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Originally posted by Losiracer2 View Post
                      no, don't put that in your car, if your trans is already grinding, its a physical problem, no fluid is going to magically fix anything. Plus it'll stain the inside of the case a dark grey.

And you don't need to buy a bearing kit, although that would be good, not necessary. They'relike 225 off syncrotech's website. Just get the mainshaft and countershaft bearings is the expert advise I was told by a guy that rebuilds all the local honda trannys for all the racers. He literally had my case apart in 10 minutes, looking at the condition of the synros and gears.
                      just to clairify all i need is "mainshaft and countershaft bearings" and that will fix my 5 gear grind ?

PS- i found a kind of band-aid for it. When in fourth going to fifth put it in nuertal let out the clutch push it back in and move to 5th... tada no grind.

Comment

I had similar issues with my m2b4,3rd an 5th used to grind.
                        Thank God I had a spare m2s4 h23 tranny for parts .I replaced the sleeved and the syncros. Tranny feels better than ever.

-->751 whp @ 27psi <--...Midnight Tuning <----

Comment

Putting it in neutral first puts less strain on the synchros... but yes, it's just a band aid.

Proper lubrication CAN help. GM Synchromesh is pretty much the best you'll find.
                          I had a shop stupidly put gear oil (very thick) in my transmission, and I had grinds in 3rd and 5th. GM Synchromesh made those grinds all but go away. It won't fix any physical problems, but any grinds that are due to poor lubrication will respond to a better fluid (and the proper amount.)

But yes... a rebuild is necessary to actually fix the physical problems.

Comment

just to clairify all i need is "mainshaft and countershaft bearings" and that will fix my 5 gear grind ?

PS- i found a kind of band-aid for it. When in fourth going to fifth put it in nuertal let out the clutch push it back in and move to 5th... tada no grind.
                            no you'll need the 5th gear sleeve set for sure. Yours is probably toast. And if you keep driving on it with the grinding, you'll need a 5th gear as well. So its better to take care of this issue now vs. later, unless you can't afford to now. A new 5th gear is about 85 bucks.

What you'll most likely need to replace:

-5th gear syncro and sleeve set

What's optional that you should replace at the same time:

-Mainshaft & Countershaft bearings

member's ride thread
                            91 Accord SE 176k

Comment

Working...
                            X