Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

[1990 EX] Looking into getting a programmable OBD1 ECU, what are my options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[1990 EX] Looking into getting a programmable OBD1 ECU, what are my options?

I'm currently working on a wire tuck and while doing so I'm removing unnecessary things like EGR and EVAP, etc. I know I'll probably get a CEL if I start driving without EGR. I obviously don't want a continuous CEL so I will need a programmable OBD1 ECU and have certain things turned off, and maybe have a slightly better map installed on it.

I have 0 experience with ECU'S so I'm not sure if it's possible or not but I'd preferably get an ECU that's plug and play into the current harness, I've heard OBD1 had the same plugs as my OBD0 1990 EX CB3?

Thanks!

Your CB3 is already OBD1. Any chippable OBD1 ECU will work.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

It's that easy huh? Do all OBD1 ECU's have the same socket and pin locations? Regardless of brand? Can I just choose the cheapest chippable OBD1 ECU I can find, get an F20A4 map slapped on it, have the stuff I want removed removed and go?
      Last edited by yh61r; 10-07-2018, 03:36 PM.

Comment

For the most part
        Here you go:
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=56836

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Thanks! Very interesting.

Looking at the different types of ECU's, I noticed IAB. A quick Google told me it means Intake Air Bypass. Do we even have this function on our Accords? If so, is there benefit/downside of having/not having it?

Also, my Accord had a 4-wire O2 sensor, does this mean I need to pick an ECU from the list that has a 4-wire O2 sensor? Probably a dumb question but just making sure!
          Last edited by yh61r; 10-08-2018, 12:02 PM.

Comment

IAB in Honda speak stands for Intake Air Butterfly, which is simply a set of throttle butterflies that allow high air velocity at low engine speeds (low end torque) and high air flow (top end power). Kind of like VTEC, but simpler.

You can check it by looking at the right side of the intake manifold. Right side when you are facing the engine bay. There should be a little vacuum diaphragm attached to the lower runners. If you don't have it, you don't have IAB functionality.

Yes, you should get the 4-wire O2 if you are keeping your stock sensor.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Thank you very much for your help!

Comment

Working...
              X