Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

has anyone painted there own?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I done flat black on my eg ahha! it did came out very well. I think I should sanddown the hood before spraying it. Few members done it here, just know what are you doing.
    Last edited by HoNdaInspire01; 12-17-2009, 01:44 PM.

Comment

Here's what rexload did with his CB with a roller.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=116931

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
      I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

i painted my semi-gloss black looks kind of flat and shiny at the same time... cost me a total of $66 and took me a week, 8 very thin coats. i been having it for about 4-5 months and still looks good!.. roll on paint job

Comment

I repainted mine, but alot comes into play when considering this.

Truly i did save money but at the same time i had to take advantage of the auto body class offered to my school. It provied me a place with tools , and proper ventilation and oven.

In total i payed about 750 800 dollars. this includes all cost except the bumper i pulled from the junk yard and the after market hood.

other than that it was about...

tape, 3/4 and 2 inch
          Dual action sander paper ,80,180
          wetsanding paper
          bondo
          primer
          catalizts
          clear coat,
          acetone,
          spreaders.
          the paint which was 85 a qrt for me.

not the complete list

Theres is a good list, but you cannot take these items and expect a flat rate, different areas , different prices and different materials according to what you need to do your car, in my case i needed some dents pulled which i had done thanks to a stud gun, which was acquired in class. other than that you would have to pay for your tools and way to bake the car and a clean place to work.

Personally if i didnt have a proper place to work or tools i would not attempt this in a garage for how easy it is to f!@# up. It really is easy.

Here what i got after i finished, im very glad, its not perfect, i already spot some small bubbling from the result of some one touching bare metal and not properly wiping it down with degreaser, i worked mainly on my own car but other students did touch my car.

Last edited by Paradien; 12-17-2009, 07:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
            No help, no links, telling to search, and nothing useful to add to the thread - See you in a week.

OP - I painted my CB. Do you have any experience painting with a gun? Do you know about the different paint types? Do you know what color type you want (Metallic, pearl, pure etc?) preparation is the main key point in painting cars.

This was my CB after final wetsand and buff of top half of door.

And whole car -

It looks very nice.
            Bisimoto Engineering
            1) Call 1-888-9BC-MOTO(888-922-6686 ext. 1) Mon-Fri 9am-6pm PST
            2) Email me, robert@bisimoto.com
            3) Contact me on AIM, robert@bisimoto.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paradien View Post
              I repainted mine, but alot comes into play when considering this.

Truly i did save money but at the same time i had to take advantage of the auto body class offered to my school. It provied me a place with tools , and proper ventilation and oven.

In total i payed about 750 800 dollars. this includes all cost except the bumper i pulled from the junk yard and the after market hood.

other than that it was about...

tape, 3/4 and 2 inch
              Dual action sander paper ,80,180
              wetsanding paper
              bondo
              primer
              catalizts
              clear coat,
              acetone,
              spreaders.
              the paint which was 85 a qrt for me.

not the complete list

Theres is a good list, but you cannot take these items and expect a flat rate, different areas , different prices and different materials according to what you need to do your car, in my case i needed some dents pulled which i had done thanks to a stud gun, which was acquired in class. other than that you would have to pay for your tools and way to bake the car and a clean place to work.

Personally if i didnt have a proper place to work or tools i would not attempt this in a garage for how easy it is to f!@# up. It really is easy.

Here what i got after i finished, im very glad, its not perfect, i already spot some small bubbling from the result of some one touching bare metal and not properly wiping it down with degreaser, i worked mainly on my own car but other students did touch my car.

wow, it came out great.

to the OP. If I were you I would paint my car using a roller since it is cheap and easy at the same time. juts give it a try I have seen some cars come out excellent.

Originally posted by visualpoet
              some owners think it's the best thing since titties

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                ive been following that guy on H-T for a few months now. that civic he used the gun to paint it. theres another he used the paint roller but with the same results. but all of his projects look good tho. like a professional paint job too.
                maybe the second time through but the first time he definitely used a roller. shows pictures of the process and it came out just as good as any other pic i saw it in. wish i had a project car to try it lol
                90 ACCORD EX..<-- MR thread

Comment

yea im going to try it. i wish it was still my DD and not a project xaaronxx. i will upload pics soon of just the car now. it just sits by my garage but about to go in soon!!! i already ripped out the back seats,the shift linkage(puttin a 5-speed in), and disconected all wires so the engine will be ready to pull for rebuild!. its going to be a track car. i live in the houston area and they have a couple of events

Comment

http://www.paintforcars.com/

^Hope that helps too. Cheap as hell!

life is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Shadow1 View Post
                      that looks good Evil....what did you use to paint with?
                      I used 4 coats lacquer primer, 3 coats lacquer base, and 4 coats lacquer clear.
                      Next year I plan on going over it with 2K clear so that I don't have to buff / polish it so often.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

i did mines in the summer in a friends house garage for about 150 to 175 in materials being the first time i had a little bit of runs on the clear but it was minor on the bottom of the doors..it was a nice xperience

Comment

DIY on Rolling.
                          http://rollyourcar.com/default.aspx

Member's Ride Thread

Originally posted by mercyboy
                          I'd rather lose by a mile because I built my own car then win by an inch because someone else built it for me..your car is your story, so don't let someone else write the book!

Comment

Originally posted by evil_demon_01 View Post
                            I used 4 coats lacquer primer, 3 coats lacquer base, and 4 coats lacquer clear.
                            Next year I plan on going over it with 2K clear so that I don't have to buff / polish it so often.
                            hold up...................

I'd advise you not to do that, 2k over laquer is a verry bad idea, your paint you have now will cook up and lift like crazzy., if your venturing into the world of 2k products, you need to remove all your laquer products first.
                            "Self Renewed"

Comment

Originally posted by KeeleDesign View Post
                              hold up...................

I'd advise you not to do that, 2k over laquer is a verry bad idea, your paint you have now will cook up and lift like crazzy., if your venturing into the world of 2k products, you need to remove all your laquer products first.
                              So I've been told by several people, and also been told by several people that its OK
                              Thanks for the advice Keele's, I'd take your advice over anyone's.

However - When you say 2k over lacquer is bad what exactly do you mean?
                              I've done 3 cars now, and known many other people to do it (even honda used to do it) with lacquer base and then 2k clear with no issues.

But I havn't done 2k clear over Lacquer clear yet - Is that what you mean?

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

for the life of a 2K, paint, lets put it this way. a good quality 2k paint, continues to get hard for 90 days before it's completely cured,

This means that the primer, the paint and the clear keep shrinking closer and closer to the adhered surfice, showing all imperfections after 90 days, and it had a death drip on your car.

Laquer products, do not ever really completely cure to a rock solid form, it stays somewhat flexibly soft, not fingerprint soft, but one reason it needs to be waxed and buffed more often, is because it expands and contracts around twice the amount as the metal and polyurathane bumpers do.

now, if you put a high soild 2K product over laquer guess whats going to happen.

the top layer is going to try and shrink in tight to the base and the laquer is going to slighhtly mover, causing your 2k product to litterly split open and have cracks in your paint,

if your lucky it won't do anything for a year but then it will most likely crows foot at the least.

Although it is possible to spray a good 2k product over just laquer primer, don't get me wrong, but even this will fail within a year or 2 as they are not designed to adhere to each other.
                                If you are not carefull and spray really heavy like i do, as spraying really heavy and wet creates much slicker paint jobs, your reduced paint such as ppg deltron will litterly cook up the the laquer primer before it is even cleared.

I the ideal thing is to stick with what your product is designed for, mismatching products can work sometimes, but unless your a chemist, I'd leave the chemistry to the professionals and head the labels advice with what products to use.

edit: i added this to the new paint faqs,
                                Last edited by KeeleDesign; 12-20-2009, 10:18 AM.
                                "Self Renewed"

Comment

Working...
                                X