thumping_accord : 1992 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB is down for the count.

About a month ago on my way to work, my timing belt (which only had a about 50k miles on it) snapped without any warning. When I went to inspect the car (didn't know why it died at first) after trailering it home I found the broken belt, which showed no signs of wear anywhere on it. The material where it broke seemed to have just separated between the different layers. Took the valve cover off and found I have a minimum of 6 bent valves, haven't taken the head off to inspect internally (pistons, valve seats, etc). As of now car is just going to sit in my driveway since I'm getting married in a couple of weeks and things are too hectic to mess with it right now.

There are two future plans as of right now:

Option 1 (preferred) - Buy an obd1 h22 from hmo and put it in (no full rebuild this time). I will replace gaskets, and timing belt (the stuff I don't want to mess with when the motor is in the car). I will then either part out of sell my h23a1, tough decision since its had so much money invested in it (resleeved, full head work, cams, blah blah blah).

Option 2 - Car will either be sold, or parted out. This would be extremely hard for me to do since I have so much money invested in it, that and I've had this car since I was 15, but nonetheless it is still an option.

Anyways, just wanted to post this in case any stragglers were looking through my thread. Thanks.

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

What about just buying an F22A for cheap to get it running? Then pull apart your H23A1, buy an H22A or just the needed components and swap everything to the sleeved block. Sounds like a plan to me. You have a very cheap way to get the car back on the road reliably, and you can go at your own pace when rebuilding the new engine.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
        What about just buying an F22A for cheap to get it running? Then pull apart your H23A1, buy an H22A or just the needed components and swap everything to the sleeved block. Sounds like a plan to me. You have a very cheap way to get the car back on the road reliably, and you can go at your own pace when rebuilding the new engine.
        I've thought about that too. Matter of fact I've looked into doing just that, the problem is we don't have very many of these cars around here in the junk yards that are useable. I've seen 3 and the motors either been taken halfway apart, or the motor is just no good. Heck I even thought about just getting another accord that is running and pull the motor from it and sell the body, lol. But I have my truck that I am currently driving so I don't necessarily need it back on the road asap.

I have not however considered "converting" the h23a to an h22, this is something I might actually look into (as long as my block isn't damaged). I've read some threads about how they can be interchanged but never thought about it. I can foresee a couple of issues (like finding oversized h22a pistons to fit), but its definitely worth looking into, especially since there is a bigger cult following for the h22a than the h23a1, so parts might not be as bad to find.

I appreciate your input, I will definitely have to look into how much that would wind up costing, in comparison to just swapping an h22a in. Thanks for your input!

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered a 93-95 H22a OBD1 motor from HMO this afternoon. This seemed to be the best option for the money and reliability. Should be here beginning of next month. Here's to hoping I don't have any issues with it. I've already made a list of parts I'm going to replace/need before installing if I'm missing something feel free to let me know.
          As of right now:
          Timing Belt - Honda OEM
          Water pump - Honda OEM
          Manual Tensioner - KS
          Header - ??
          Flywheel - Excedy Replacement
          Clutch - Excedy OEM Replacement
          Valve cover gasket
          Spark Plugs - NGK
          Spark Plug wires - (reuse h23a1?)

Parts Using from H23a1:
          Distributor (External Coil)
          Fuel Rail
          Front Water Kneck
          Engine Mounts - Going to window weld fill them as they are starting to crack
          Last edited by thumping_accord; 06-06-2016, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Making Progress

So this past week I got my H22a delivered from HMO and so far it looks super clean, Still haven't taken it off the pallet yet (or removed all the cardboard yet), but from what I can see the only thing messed up is on vacuum nipple on the back of the plenum, and a couple of harness clips have been crushed.

Needless to say with the motor sitting in the garage I jumped on pulling mine out (after pulling a motor 3 times im getting too familiar with it lol). I pulled the trans off and found im gonna need a new clutch so I've got parts on order.

I've got a couple issues I'm going to need to get answers on for putting the motor in, like fuel injectors and headers, but for the most part I've answered all my questions by digging through this site getting info. I'll try to get some pics up if I ever remember to take some!

Comment

Any conceivable question you might have about the H22A swap into the '90-'93 Accord is covered here in depth. In regard to your wiring harness, just use the factory Accord wiring harness and add the necessary wires for VTEC and knock.
              My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Awesome build man keep at it! Glad you didn't go with option 2, I made that mistake selling my first cb (93 se coupe) and now I can't find another to build.

Originally posted by Uncle Willey
                When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                  Any conceivable question you might have about the H22A swap into the '90-'93 Accord is covered here in depth. In regard to your wiring harness, just use the factory Accord wiring harness and add the necessary wires for VTEC and knock.
                  I've been trying to gather as much info as I could without having to ask questions but got stuck on if I needed to keep my resistor box or not on the injectors, wound up making a post and Deev answered it expediently!

Originally posted by JaberCB7 View Post
                  Awesome build man keep at it! Glad you didn't go with option 2, I made that mistake selling my first cb (93 se coupe) and now I can't find another to build.
                  Thanks! I couldn't bring myself to get rid of it, too much time, money, and work has gone into for me to part ways with it.... that and the fact that this was my very first car probably has something to do with it too, hahaha.

Comment

Update: H22a

So I've gotten the new H22a in and have put it in the car here are a couple pics of the process (not many as I always fail to remember to take pics while I'm doing something).

When I first got the motor delivered (my CB& exhaust is out cause I was in fear of somebody going by and snatching it since my car is on stands outside)

When I Uncovered her to check for damage and start work:

Found a couple of damaged spots nothing big:
                    slightly bent vacuum nipple

Broken connector clip

Bonus JDM Spec seeds!

My helper keeping guard while I work on the motor

Oil wound up getting in my old wire harness, so I wound up taking it apart, cleaning the wires, and relooming it to get rid of the oil.

Right after I dropped her in

Started her up yesterday, she runs like crap (no tune and only half a header) but she at least ran. Money is a little tight right now so I've got a mediocre header on the way in the mail, gonna switch the gaskets out and put it in, then getting it tuned hopefully next weekend!

Comment

Glad to see that it is up and running. Good work!!!
                      http://www.hondanews.com/releases/19...d-introduction

Comment

Man, that H22 looks right at home in that engine bay now doesn't it...

Comment

Originally posted by SSMAccord View Post
                          Glad to see that it is up and running. Good work!!!
                          Thanks! I'm ready to have her back on the road, if all things go well that will be next week!

Originally posted by jchsmiley View Post
                          Man, that H22 looks right at home in that engine bay now doesn't it...
                          I thought about painting the valve cover, but the crinkle black just makes the motor look like it should've been in there from the get go!

Comment

Back on the road!

Finally got the car tuned, wound up having to not use the guy that normally tunes my car and brought it to Motorvations Motorsports close to Birmingham Al. He did a great job and was really good about telling me what he was doing and just showing me everything I had questions about. He even went as far as to make sure that my part throttle would give me optimal mpg and response at my normal travel speed. All in all the guy was great and I would definitely make the 2 hour drive to get it tuned again!

We trailered the car down on Friday afternoon and got back around 12 at night, worth it to get me car back on the road!

Here are the Dyno results!

The red line is my tune I left with, the blue line is the tune I showed up with... if you notice the Air ratio line at the bottom the blue line is all the way at the bottom and is completely pegged out!

Also I found this on my right front trailer tire (double axle trailer) when we were leaving his shop to come home that night in the rain..... made it back with out it blowing though!

Comment

Originally posted by thumping_accord View Post
                              Finally got the car tuned, wound up having to not use the guy that normally tunes my car and brought it to Motorvations Motorsports close to Birmingham Al. He did a great job and was really good about telling me what he was doing and just showing me everything I had questions about. He even went as far as to make sure that my part throttle would give me optimal mpg and response at my normal travel speed. All in all the guy was great and I would definitely make the 2 hour drive to get it tuned again!

We trailered the car down on Friday afternoon and got back around 12 at night, worth it to get me car back on the road!

Here are the Dyno results!

The red line is my tune I left with, the blue line is the tune I showed up with... if you notice the Air ratio line at the bottom the blue line is all the way at the bottom and is completely pegged out!

Also I found this on my right front trailer tire (double axle trailer) when we were leaving his shop to come home that night in the rain..... made it back with out it blowing though!
                              Wow those numbers are good!! I'm jealous. Really makes me want to learn how to do this myself!
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Originally posted by GTRON View Post
                                Wow those numbers are good!! I'm jealous. Really makes me want to learn how to do this myself!
                                Thanks! To be honest with you the best way to learn how to do this stuff is to just get out there and do it lol, that's how I have learned most of my car knowledge. It's particularly easy to take that leap of faith when you have a vast amount of info out here in the web. I have been "working" on cars since I was 10, by that means I was in the garage helping my dad with whatever he was doing: changing the brakes, doing oil changes, spark plugs, all your typical DIY tune up stuff. Since I knew how to turn a wrench, and I don't mind getting my hands dirty, when my car was getting up there in miles, and motor noises lol, I wanted to do a motor swap. Had a friend with a busted H23a1 he gave it to me for free and then I took it apart and slowly rebuilt it. Swapping the motor, doing wiring, any technical stuff I didn't know I went looking on the web for. This site had a smorgousbord of info that would come up when I did google searches, so I wound up signing up on here. If I ever got stuck on something and couldn't find the answer, I could make a post and someone out there would be knowledgable enough to help me out. So my comment to you would be, gather some money, do some research, then grab a buddy or two and go for it! If you get stuck on something there are a lot of people on this site that will probably know the answer!

Comment

Working...
                                X