Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY Brake Service (Part One) 56k don't bother.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 92Accord EX-R View Post
    With the grease in good shape, you're ready to permanently put the sliders in, and reinstall the brake pads. Make sure you don't have air in the holes the sliders sit in... pull the boot away from the edge, and push the slider down. If you hear clicking, air is escaping. Air isn't good, in brakes. It leads to unpredictable braking and or failure... If you have to, take the slider out, pack it EVENLY with grease, and re-insert. Notice how the one on the right in my picture is pushed out further, on it's own. This is air. Air compresses. Grease doesn't. ELIMINATE the air before installation. This is very very very important.

Sorry, I know it's an old thread but how to you get the air out? You slide the boot off?
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 92Accord EX-R View Post
      Make sure you don't have air in the holes the sliders sit in... pull the boot away from the edge, and push the slider down. If you hear clicking, air is escaping. Air isn't good, in brakes. It leads to unpredictable braking and or failure... If you have to, take the slider out, pack it EVENLY with grease, and re-insert. Notice how the one on the right in my picture is pushed out further, on it's own. This is air. Air compresses. Grease doesn't. ELIMINATE the air before installation. This is very very very important.

Those boots aren't meant to be airtight. There will always be some air in there. Those boots don't need to be chock full of grease either. I light coating is all they need.

Also, the only reason to take off that caliper bracket is if you need to grease those sliders. If the brakes are squeaking, that would be the only time I would inspect those parts. Otherwise you can just remove the lower caliper bolt, swing it up to remove the old pads. No need to get anything to hold up he caliper, unless there's not enough slack to swing it up far enough.
      Last edited by wtfisafleek; 10-11-2017, 02:16 PM.
      My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
      Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
      Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
      X