Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Dashboard gets dim while braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dashboard gets dim while braking

Hello internet!
    I got a 1992 Honda Accord LX and as of recently I've noticed that my dashboard and clock seem to go dim as I brake to a complete hault. I also noticed that my windshield wipers are slower than normal and that my side windows take a while for them to either go up or down. The thing that alarmed me was seeing my rpm meter jitter from 800 rpm to 0 . I've had the battery for about a year and a half so it makes me believe it could be the alternator.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

bad grounds crusty connectors. get dirty.

Comment

You are going to need to look at the wiring. I had a similar problem with the speedometer diving to zero while under breaking. I fiddled and repositioned the wire bundle above the left front tire under the hood (easy to get to), and the problem is fixed. This tells me that there was some loose connection or wearing of a wire that needed repositioning to restore necessary contact.
      *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
      ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
      ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
      "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
      Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
      The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
      Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Originally posted by ATM351 View Post
        Hello internet!
        I got a 1992 Honda Accord LX and as of recently I've noticed that my dashboard and clock seem to go dim as I brake to a complete hault. I also noticed that my windshield wipers are slower than normal and that my side windows take a while for them to either go up or down. The thing that alarmed me was seeing my rpm meter jitter from 800 rpm to 0 . I've had the battery for about a year and a half so it makes me believe it could be the alternator.

Any suggestions on what the problem could be?

Had this problem, Battery was dying out on me and it will only dim during stops and then light up again while driving. "replaced battery and problem stopped"

everyone has a different outtake thought so just follow your advice, I cleaned everything and every possible neg wire under my hood and still the same prob till i changed the battery.

Comment

ATM351, Do you have an Auto Zone in your area? They do a free battery/starter/alternator diagnostic with a special tool. If you got a cheap battery a year and a half ago, it could be time to replace it, but it is nice to have the extra piece of mind that the alternator and starter are working fine.
          Last edited by af_1132; 02-11-2014, 02:17 AM. Reason: wanted to include original thread starter's username
          *** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
          ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
          ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
          "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
          Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
          The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
          Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

I would load test the Alternator. Even if the voltage is where it should be when charging does not mean it is good. You have to see what the amperage output is. If this is below spec it will cause these issues.

Comment

Hi, ive had the same problems also. The cause was due to Corrosion on my battery terminals. I live in the NYC are and my CB deals with the harsh unforgiving weather. I noticed also when i pressed my brake pedal the whole dash and whatever lights were on would fade and relight almost instantly. eventually it came to the point where my radio would cut out and reset. At first i thought it was a battery issue, so i paid for a new battery. But the problem still occured. So me next choice was to change the battery terminals that i suspected were the preblem. As soon as i changed those, that problem never happened again. Now if you want to be sure wether or not if its your battery or alternator, simply take a wrench and loosen your terminals and with the terminals still connected but loosened, start the car. When the car starts, siply remove the terminals off of the battery and if the car continues to run, then your alternantor is fine. You might hear a drop in rpm but the car will pick itself back up.

My CB specs:
              1992 coupe
              5spd manual
              stock F22a
              240,xxx miles and counting

This is what my battery looked like.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my Negative terminal close up.

[IMG][/IMG]

This is my positive. Note the cracking because of the severe corrosion.

[IMG][/IMG]

I hope this helps

Comment

Also check the engine ground wire near the drivers side mount.
                93 SE Coupe

Comment

Working...
                X