Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Engine Removal for Noobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine Removal for Noobs

I was pulling my HF's 8v for the B7 swap and got bored so I decided to do a write-up for noobs to use. This is a pretty simple process and doesn't require a whole lot to do. Though this was done on a CRX the basic process should be the same other than having shifter cables instead of the shift rods.

Materials:

Sockets (10-20 and a 32mm for the axles)
    Ratchets
    Wrenches
    Hammer
    Ball Joint Seperator
    Jack
    Jack Stands
    Wire Cutters
    Screwdriver
    5/16 Punch (bitch pin removal)
    Cherry Picker

Those are the basic tools you need. I have a few extras I use but they're not necessary in most cases. Now onto the swap. I took a combo of video and pics every so often so just about everything should be covered.

First get the car on jack stands. I also like to put my wheels under the sides of the car as extra protection in case anything falls. I also like having it up since it helps you avoid leaning over as much and getting a sore back.

Once the car is up. I remove the battery, battery tray, and intake piping. The battery requires a 10mm socket and the battery tray is a 10 and has 1 12mm iirc.

Part 1

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 1

Once you have that done go ahead and unplug the wiring harness for the engine from the chassis harness at the strut towers.

Part 2

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 2

This fuel feedline to the fuel rail is a 17mm.

I also forgot to mention to disconnect the fuel return line here.

Part 3

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 3

After that is done I like to take care of everything underneath the car before pulling any coolant hoses. This includes unbolting the header, disconnecting the shift linkage, and removing the axles.

Part 4

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 4

Part 5

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 5

Once that is taken care of you can pull the axles. This only takes 2 bolts to do. One is the 32mm axle bolt and the other is the 17mm lower ball joint bolt.

Part 6

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 6

I usually position the floor jack right about here when I jack up the LCA. This helps to keep the ball joint from spinning when you go to unbolt it.

Part 7

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 7

Once the ball joint and axle nuts are removed, you can then pop the axles out.

Part 8

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 8

Once the axles are pulled you're done underneath the car. From here you can disconnect the vacumn and coolant lines.

Part 9

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 9

Part 10

YouTube - Engine Removal Part 10

Once all of this is done, the engine should be out.

For CB's the axle nut is 36MM

Wrong section btw.

Comment

I put it in this section of the forum since it's directed at noobs who are more inclined to need the write-up. Thanks for adding the info on the axle nut.

Comment

Added to the "helpful thread" index. Good job!

Comment

My buddies and I were actually plannin on screwin around in his old preludes he has, this should be extremly helpful. other than some basic knowledge of mechanics, we really haven't got a clue how to pull an engine.
          Thanks!

Comment

Have you moved your pics to another storage spot by any chance?
            My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
            Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
            Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

You've got to quit bumping these old threads where the OP has not been online for YEARS...

Pictures are pretty pointless. All they show are some tools (impact sockets, hammer, and a pickle fork), engine jack/hoist, front of a CRX, and picture of his intake manifold fuel system. Nothing pertaining to the CB chassis at all to be honest.
              Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Working...
              X