think i need to quit drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

think i need to quit drinking

i drink on a regular basis. i can admit i believe i have a problem (unfortunately to say i can drink pretty much half of a 1.75L bottle of whiskey in a day)

now its not a problem like i wake up and need a drink or want a drink but after a few hours i am taking some shots, no prominent feeling to do it most times just kinda habit.

i can say that if i don't drink for the day or even a few days/week i do not get irritable or have the shakes or any form of withdraw so i don't think it is a full dependency but more of a habit/lifestyle

i will say that i do use alcohol and marijuana to give me incentive to accomplish things and duties but not fully needed(could succeed without them but makes the situation not as much of a task). i believe that has to do with my lack of motivation and self-discipline.

never really wrote down what i am thinking but it actually does help in some ways

and just so if any body is thinking that i am just depressed and drunk mentioning this i am not. i am just coming to realize that it is becoming bad for my health and my future at becoming anything.

now my reason for starting this thread is to see if other people have been in this same situation or similar and what they have done to better themselves

P.S. i do work well with constructive criticism so don't worry about me being offended
    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Honestly, it could be a manifestation of depression. By depression, I don't mean that you're sad. But the lack of motivation, and the feeling of relief brought by regular use of a mind-altering substance may very well be clear signs of it. Unfortunately, those things are both depressants themselves, and will only worsen the condition. Fortunately, you seem to realize where you stand, and that's a positive position to be in.

My father drank a lot. A six pack and half a small bottle of gin every night. My mom insists he was an alcoholic. I believe he was just unhappy with life, and as he once told me, alcohol and cigarettes were the only things that he found pleasure in.
    Notice that I am speaking of my father in the past tense.

Comment

i know how you feel man, i used to drink every night and party every weekend...didnt like where it was leading so a few months ago i finally decided to quit...

realized that i was putting on a few pounds and it got me thinking...

im trying to get onto the fire dept. and theres no way in hell they're going to hire me if im a liquor pig whos not in shape....so....i quit drinking over night, started hitting the gym hard, and now in the past 6 weeks ive gained a good 20lbs, im widening out, and im in the best physical shape ive ever been in!!!

so i just keep thinking about getting onto the FD and thats whats keeping me sober for the time being!

if setting a goal and stopping over night is too hard, just cut back by a shot or 2 a day until your able to ween yourself off completely
      ..[CB7][STAR]..
      MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
        Honestly, it could be a manifestation of depression. By depression, I don't mean that you're sad. But the lack of motivation, and the feeling of relief brought by regular use of a mind-altering substance may very well be clear signs of it. Unfortunately, those things are both depressants themselves, and will only worsen the condition. Fortunately, you seem to realize where you stand, and that's a positive position to be in.

My father drank a lot. A six pack and half a small bottle of gin every night. My mom insists he was an alcoholic. I believe he was just unhappy with life, and as he once told me, alcohol and cigarettes were the only things that he found pleasure in.
        Notice that I am speaking of my father in the past tense.
        sorry to hear about your dad passing.

i believe you are correct about the underlying depression part, but when i am drinking or staring to drink it is not really a relief thing b/c i can go on without drinking just as easily.

if i am busy doing stuff or have my time occupied there is not even a thought about drinking that passes through my mind. when i am just sitting around with nothing to do then i will drink just to pass the time.

the lack of motivation has been with me since i was a child. using alcohol to get the initiative to start something in the last few years will probably have a negative affect on motivation when i am not drinking.
        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by stewie View Post
          i know how you feel man, i used to drink every night and party every weekend...didnt like where it was leading so a few months ago i finally decided to quit...

realized that i was putting on a few pounds and it got me thinking...

im trying to get onto the fire dept. and theres no way in hell they're going to hire me if im a liquor pig whos not in shape....so....i quit drinking over night, started hitting the gym hard, and now in the past 6 weeks ive gained a good 20lbs, im widening out, and im in the best physical shape ive ever been in!!!

so i just keep thinking about getting onto the FD and thats whats keeping me sober for the time being!

if setting a goal and stopping over night is too hard, just cut back by a shot or 2 a day until your able to ween yourself off completely
          see i think that is my problem i have no goals in life. i deliver pizzas about 40 hours a week, i am not going to school(never did well so i didn't want to waste my money).
          i need to set some form of goals (like finishing the turbo build)

school is more of an option for me now but i would have no clue what to even take or what direction to go in, don't want to be taking just any classes, i would want to have a path to follow
          ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

All i can say is "Exercise" it does wonders. Generaly feel healther and happyer the more you do. Not that you have to have some crazy routine. But instead of drinking. Why not get outside or to the gym and work out. Go for a jog/walk.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTuner12010 View Post
              All i can say is "Exercise" it does wonders. Generaly feel healther and happyer the more you do. Not that you have to have some crazy routine. But instead of drinking. Why not get outside or to the gym and work out. Go for a jog/walk.
              yeah i have been riding my bike more lately, can't stand running or jogging(no pun intended)

i wish i knew someone with some weights or something, i only have a straight bar and i believe 50lbs which isn't much but does work
              ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post
                yeah i have been riding my bike more lately, can't stand running or jogging(no pun intended)

i wish i knew someone with some weights or something, i only have a straight bar and i believe 50lbs which isn't much but does work
                Doesnt mater what you do as long as you do something. I wish I could ride a bike or something lol. How much do you ride? A mile or 2?

And yah the weights part. Can get expensive, usualy about a dollar a pound. What you could do, is go to some of your local gyms. They usually have promotions, and good deals just to try it out. If things go good and you enjoy it. More power to you, if not. Not much of a loss.

Comment

Im just curious why people automatically associate drinking/smoking pot to being depressed?

I drink 3-4 beers 4-5 nights a week. I smoke regularly, several times a day.

I have been the same way for mmmmmm, I dunno atleast 15 years. Ive smoked pot for most of my life, like 20+ years. Drinking a couple beers and smoking a bowl does alter my state of mind, but why is that being "depressed"?

Im one of if not thee most motivated and accomplished people I know. I spend more time tinkering with cars then most people spend at work. Im accomplished, I own a company, my house is almost paid off, I have 0 debt. I dont understand why copping a buzz = being depressed.

I really am a pretty happy guy, like 110% of the time the coolest/happiest/easiest going person. I've worked my entire life to have everything I want. Theres is literally nothing I want that I cannot have. I have moddest desires, but still.

So, I suppose I dont get it.

To the op:

You have got to inspire yourself. Accomplish something, and that will start everything. When you accomplish something it feels good-run with that.

Id personally start small. Mow the lawn and make it look like a golf course. Trim the sidewalks, clean up all the weeds in the cracks. Give yourself something to look at and say "I did that"

Maybe you live in an APT and mowing the lawn isnt possible. Thats cool, organize your tools. Clean them up, straighten them out and feel good about getting shit done. Maybe you need to caulk your windows on your house. Maybe the bathroom sink is leaking. Theres work and tasks for you to get done, and my point is get some shit done. You will feel good about it.

Do you have your own place or live with parents? That could have a lot to do with it. If moms/pops is taking care of you, and your an adult maybe you are depressed. I dunno.

Getting any ass in your life? No booty makes Justin go crazy. Personally, Id pay for sex before Id go without, that shit will make anyone depressed. Id be fucking fat bitches too, before id go without. Fortunately for me, Im married to a hotty.

Working out helps me relieve stress too. I hit the gym 3 days a week for about an hour and a half. That may contribute to me being me, who knows. I am positive the gym is awesome for feeling good about yourself though.

Tell us more about you/your daily grind and maybe we can point out some better ideas.

***Waiting for feedback on the depression ?'s***
                  Last edited by toycar; 10-11-2011, 09:50 AM.
                  Originally posted by wed3k
                  im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperTuner12010 View Post
                    Doesnt mater what you do as long as you do something. I wish I could ride a bike or something lol. How much do you ride? A mile or 2?

And yah the weights part. Can get expensive, usualy about a dollar a pound. What you could do, is go to some of your local gyms. They usually have promotions, and good deals just to try it out. If things go good and you enjoy it. More power to you, if not. Not much of a loss.
                    i actually just got back from a 5 mile ride and then lifted some weights when i came home b/c my heart rate was still up
                    ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

quaidum, that's great!
                      I was pretty down on myself for a while. Life kinda fell apart for me a few years ago. It was easy to hide inside, post on the forum, watch anime online, play video games, and just separate myself from the rest of the world. I didn't drink, thankfully... because no doubt I'd have done it far too much myself. I knew better than to have it in the house while I was feeling like that.
                      Exercise helped me a great deal as well. I lost 60lbs, had more energy (thus it was easier to motivate myself), and just felt better about myself in general. Plus, exercising outside (biking, running... hell, I got mine just by walking fast!) is great because the sun actually has a very strong antidepressant effect.
                      Other than exercise, I started a band. Having something I was passionate about to focus on (that involved other people) was a good thing as well. Of course being in that band made me drink more...

If you have the means to go back to school, I definitely say you should do it. The first 2 years of college are basically the same... all the BS math, writing, history... it's like high school all over again. You could bang out those 2 years at a cheap community college (look to see where they can transfer their credits to...) and figure out what you want to do while you're there. You'll be active, involved with other people, and you'll be doing something that will benefit you in the long run. You've got nothing to lose!

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                      Im just curious why people automatically associate drinking/smoking pot to being depressed?

I have been the same way for mmmmmm, I dunno atleast 15 years. Ive smoked pot for most of my life, like 20+ years. Drinking a couple beers and smoking a bowl does alter my state of mind, but why is that being "depressed"?

Im one of if not thee most motivated and accomplished people I know. I spend more time tinkering with cars then most people spend at work. Im accomplished, I own a company, my house is almost paid off, I have 0 debt. I dont understand why copping a buzz = being depressed.

I really am a pretty happy guy, like 110% of the time the coolest/happiest/easiest going person. I've worked my entire life to have everything I want. Theres is literally nothing I want that I cannot have. I have moddest desires, but still.

I'm not automatically associating drinking or smoking pot with being depressed... I'm associating the way he's using them with depression (I am earning a doctorate in counseling psychology, so I'm not just taking a shot in the dark here.)

The lack of motivation, the "nothing better to do", the "just killing time"... all of those can be very clear signs of depression. Introduce substances that provide an easy escape, and it strengthens that idea. Take into consideration that those substances are depressants themselves, and it creates a repeating cycle.
                      Substances, very often alcohol and marijuana, are often the choice of depressed people. Still, it could be anything. It could be jerking off 10 times a day, or watching cartoons from sunrise to sunset.

The action itself isn't bad, but when done to excess just because there's nothing better to do... THAT is depression.

People often have a misconception of what depression is. Being depressed doesn't mean you're sad. It doesn't mean you're Eeyore. It can, but it doesn't have to. You could be perfectly smiley and social with friends and family, feeling motivated to do things when you're active... but the moment you're alone and inactive, you feel stuck. No motivation, no energy, no desire to do anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post

i don't think that it should be lumped into the depression category but more soever ailment to lifes situations

i am the same way i mess with my car a lot, was turbo 3 years ago, have done 3 retrofits, live in a 2400sq ft house that is being paid off i am fairly active and accomplish a good amount of little things but nothing that will promote my future

To the op:

You have got to inspire yourself. Accomplish something, and that will start everything. When you accomplish something it feels good-run with that. that is exactly how i feel after getting something done, i hate spending all day sitting around then it comes time to go to bed and i realize i didn't do anything in the day

Id personally start small. Mow the lawn and make it look like a golf course. Trim the sidewalks, clean up all the weeds in the cracks. Give yourself something to look at and say "I did that"my sand lot is not able to do that,but my grandmother lives across the street from me and i have made her lawn look amazing.
                        last year i replaced almost 50 sprinklers and replaced many broken lines and moved about 7 sprinklers to different spots b/c she had a vinyl fence added

Maybe you live in an APT and mowing the lawn isnt possible. Thats cool, organize your tools. Clean them up, straighten them out and feel good about getting shit done. Maybe you need to caulk your windows on your house. Maybe the bathroom sink is leaking. Theres work and tasks for you to get done, and my point is get some shit done. You will feel good about it. the tool idea is something i am bad at i have places to put all of them its just after working on the car i am usually beat and don't even want to deal with the tools at the time

the windows in my house are actually going to be replaced here in the next few months but the idea is good b/c it would also save on the electric bill

definitely need to stay active b/c ''idol hands are the devils workshop'' as the amish say

Do you have your own place or live with parents? That could have a lot to do with it. If moms/pops is taking care of you, and your an adult maybe you are depressed. I dunno.
                        well sort of, i live with my brother and father but we are all more roommates than family at times
                        when it comes down to it though i am self sufficient and really don't rely on anyone

Getting any ass in your life? No booty makes Justin go crazy. Personally, Id pay for sex before Id go without, that shit will make anyone depressed. Id be fucking fat bitches too, before id go without. Fortunately for me, Im married to a hotty. its funny you say that b/c women have never been something that was to influential on my life, no i am not homosexual in any way. to answer your question about getting any lately it has probably been more than a 2 years (good damn that is a long time now that i think about it)

Working out helps me relieve stress too. I hit the gym 3 days a week for about an hour and a half. That may contribute to me being me, who knows. I am positive the gym is awesome for feeling good about yourself though.

Tell us more about you/your daily grind and maybe we can point out some better ideas.

***Waiting for feedback on the depression ?'s***
                        answers in red
                        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

all right guys got to go to work but i appreciate all the time you have spent to give me your advice, it actually means a lot

will be on sometime around 9-10ish tonight to reply to some more comments
                          ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Sounds like you need to get some tail, no offense
                            2 years and I'd hang myself. The last time I went more then a couple days was almost 5 years ago, when we had my son.

Get some tail, keep working out and staying busy. The idea is to forget about the feelings you talked about in your first post.

In the beginning it'll take effort to keep it up, but in the end you will find your new normal, and it won't take much effort to keep at it. Creating expectations for yourself is tough, but you have to live with you.

You are the only one who really knows what makes you happy yanno. So, forget about all the bs of being down/unnmotivated and keep yourself busy for 6 weeks. Work out regularly, make a few small changes like being productive-even if only small stuff-and a no time you'll shake off the funk.

About the time you start noticing a difference in your physical appearance, from working out, you'll have a new normal to work with.

Be proud, confident, full of honor and respect and the rest will find you.

Respect yourself, take better care of you and I swear to god it'll pay off before you know it.
                            Originally posted by wed3k
                            im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Ive been drinking a lot more lately myself.....actually going out to get drunk tonight.....I tend to drink more on mondays, tuesdays, wednesdays vs the weekend as weekends I tend to work a lot.

Im not at the point where I think I should stop....I rarely drink more than 1 day a week....max of 2....but if you think you should stop for a bit...youd know best so its likely the best thing to do

I know if I start drinking more often....Im gonna stop....shits not worth it.

Burrito Bandidos: It will change your fuckin life

Comment

Working...
                              X