Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

jumpy tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

jumpy tachometer

So im currently sitting in the parking lot at work and I notice my tach is skipping all over the place. Its not surging or anything and I even killed all loads on the battery and it still did it. When I gave it gas to see if it continued through out the rpm's it went away. I'm thinking maybe an electrical issue? I know my battery isn't in the best shape anymore so could that be the culprit?

sounds like the ignition control module, which can be tested at most auto part stores for free

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=187851
    sold to: cb7rush\h22-accord\Luis\BurtonRiderT6
    bought from:jokerxfn-tommi-'93cb7ex

Comment

Originally posted by 904drACCORDMANG View Post
      sounds like the ignition control module, which can be tested at most auto part stores for free
      Just to clarify, not many stores can test an igniter. The only place i have found is Autozone, and not all of them can test it.
      Originally posted by Mishakol129
      Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

Yep, generally your igniter is on the way out.

Fairly easy to pull out. Call all your local auto parts store and see if any of them can test it.
        "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

Snag a few from the junkyard, and keep swapping them until you see a difference. That's what I did, when I wasn't sure it was the igniter.

Comment

You can do some basic tests at home with a multimeter to see for yourself if your ICM is out of spec. It is basically just a large high current transistor after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tw34k View Post
              You can do some basic tests at home with a multimeter to see for yourself if your ICM is out of spec. It is basically just a large high current transistor after all.
              Not really. The ICM has to be brought to operating temp for testing, the testers have a lead that hooks to the mounting plate and causes it to heat up. You can't do that with any multi meter I've ever seen.
              Originally posted by Mishakol129
              Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

You do not have to heat the ignitor to test its continuity. I also never said a multimeter had a heater function. Granted thermal changes will affect the operational characteristics of electrical components but in this case the ignitor should still be out of spec at normal ambient temperatures as well if it is indeed on its way out. If you insist on heating the unit Im sure you can get it pretty hot with household items like a blow-dryer.

TO do this check yourself simply check resistance between the terminal on the side and the one on top directly next to the one located on the side. spec window is between 1 and 3.3k ohm IIRC.

Comment

Working...
                X