Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Head Swap Idea, and help. Thinking outside the box.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Swap Idea, and help. Thinking outside the box.

Just thinking out loud here guys.

h22/f22 hybrid has been done. This frank motor is not known for reliability seeing the f22 block cant spin fast enough to make use of the h22 head.
    Why has no one tried to put a worked over f22 head on to the h22 block?
    1. Its agreed that the f22 has a better flowing head design and once the exhaust side is opened up and add a larger cam and springs upgrade this head would be able to handle 7000-8000rpm very well. And with a cam such as the bisi stage 2 should pull pretty well from 3500 and up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

2. h22 block is already able to handle the 7000-8000 rpm as is in stock form.

What I'm thinking with higher compression pistons in the h22, and a fantastic flowing f22 head I believe this would make for one hell of a all motor beast.

Realistically speaking this should make about 200hp if not a little more. What do you guys think would be needed to pull this off. Such as what Timing belt? I think the f22 timing belt would work and just having to swap out the the h22 lower timing gear with the f22's gear and should be good to go.. Again I'm just thinking outside the box.. Gimme some feed back guys. Thanks.

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91 View Post
    Realistically speaking this should make about 200hp if not a little more.
    lol

Comment

your compression ratio would but up there but it might go. i really don't like the like plugging holes in the head for oil draining. it might work though. i dont think 200hp is reasonalbe though, maybe with some killer stuff done ie: cam , major flowbench work, balance and blueprint might keep it reliable.

how well do these frank engines hold up? (h22head and f22aX block)
      96 Accord SiR driveline installed. CF2 donar

Comment

ive heard they do these franks because the h22 is obviously dohc vtec, but the f22 block is made of steel or something, but its very strong. then you get dohc and vtec. most people put turbo on these because you get like a 9ish:1 compression ratio i believe. if your not going to turbo, you wont get as much power as a whole h22.

and if u do f22 head/h22 block, ull get no dohc nor vtec.

Comment

Originally posted by ali954 View Post
          ive heard they do these franks because the h22 is obviously dohc vtec, but the f22 block is made of steel or something, but its very strong. then you get dohc and vtec. most people put turbo on these because you get like a 9ish:1 compression ratio i believe. if your not going to turbo, you wont get as much power as a whole h22.

and if u do f22 head/h22 block, ull get no dohc nor vtec.
          I'm not looking for dohc or vtec. Fact! the h22 head on the f22 block works. But the block can not handle or take advantage of the high rpm that the h22 head offers. This leads to spun rod bearings. The stock f22 redlines before 7krpm for a reason. It cant take it for to long... Fact, the f22 head can and will with very little work out flow the h22's head. So my thoughts are is your going to build a bad ass f22 head why not sit it atop a block that not only will raise the compression but enjoys higher rpm without having to go in and build the bottom end.

As far as plugging the hole (one oil passage) in the h22 head, to make it work with the f22 block. You don't have that problem when using the h22 block with the f22 head. if anything you would have to take a dremmel tool and actually open that single oil passage on the f22 head. Not even open it but make it deeper into the head its self to open the oil flow to that one passage.

So within reason, I do think this would make over 200hp. You retain the attributes of the h22 (revs, higher compression) But you are also adding Better head flow/ port design with the worked over f22 head. It's like having the best of both worlds.

Comment

you should just swap for a h22. port that if you wanna, then you might see 200hp. MIGHT
            96 mx-6, needs work...
            91 accord lx sedan, needs work...

Comment

with all the work you've just done, why wouldn't you just get an H22? There's a reason why Honda didn't mess around w/ their engines like pieces in a puzzle. RELIABILITY. This won't be reliable at all I'm thinking. Who knows whats going to happen.

member's ride thread
              93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
              99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
              91 Accord SE 176k
              97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

damn bro im doing the same type of build here too lol im stuck on what to do but who knows what we might get out of these franks motor... i got an idea how about you do your build like your sayin h22block with f22head and ill do the f22block with h23head yet with some internal work done to both of them and then we compare it and see if we got some all motor beast!!

Comment

Originally posted by los170bx View Post
                  damn bro im doing the same type of build here too lol im stuck on what to do but who knows what we might get out of these franks motor... i got an idea how about you do your build like your saying h22block with f22head and ill do the f22block with h23head yet with some internal work done to both of them and then we compare it and see if we got some all motor beast!!
                  I'm wanting to try something different, this h22block and f22 head has yet to be done to my knowledge. the f22block with the h23 head will make you about 160hp. My issue is the f22 block. Without tearing into it for a major rebuild I'm not going to get what the stock h22 block offers. And frank motors would hold together if built right.. Again vtec head on f22block would rock if you build up the bottom end to handle it. But there when it becomes not worth it. This is when you would be better off getting the h22 swap. I cant pick up a h22 block for 300 bucks with a bad head. I plan on getting my f22's head done anyways. So why not slap it on a block with higher compression? A block that can handle higher revs. A block that has been nicely balanced from the factory! if a stock h22 makes 195-200hp. Just think what It will do when you add a better flowing head.. I don't know but it makes sense to me. Now it's a matter of pulling it off.

Comment

I would definately like to see this done .
                    Vouches: Bruno8747, 1badwag, Excalibur02, Bliz07, Slick, Gloryaccordy, H23CB7.

Comment

Actually, I've really put some serious thought into this sort of project. The only thing stopping me from actually doing this is I lack a car to put it in (my 5th gen prelude is staying stock and my 4th gen lude is getting it's own hybrid. The accord is gone).

My buddy has a complete JDM H22 short block that he wanted the head from and I have 3 heads to pick from to put on it... f22a, f23a1, and h23a1.

I've been playing around with the head gaskets from each motor, and it seems the h23 and perhaps f23 heads would work without alterations. The f22 head is really close to working too.

The oil plug from the non-vtec motors would need to be installed if you use a non-vtec head. Don't use one if you use a vtec head.

The coolant cross-over pipe is the biggest issue I can find with this setup. The f22a/h23 head setup shouldn't require any hacking so long as you use an h23 manifold. The f23 head/manifold I think would require hacking. Of course, this is theoretical since I don't have an h22 block to play with... just an f23 and f22

The stock h22 block and a stock f22/f23/h23 head would net about 11.1 compression and 11.6:1 compression if you sub type-s pistons in the block.
                      There is no reason you couldn't get 200hp out of this setup... I'd think 200whp isn't out of the question. It's not too far off of Cisco's white project's specs for compression and RPMs. As long as you can get the head to flow, use a big enough cam, and find a good header this should own bolt on h22s on the dyno and compete with Cisco's white project for power. It will probably kill this on torque though because of the extra displacement and stroke.

Comment

Originally posted by preludeman92 View Post
                        Actually, I've really put some serious thought into this sort of project. The only thing stopping me from actually doing this is I lack a car to put it in (my 5th gen prelude is staying stock and my 4th gen lude is getting it's own hybrid. The accord is gone).

My buddy has a complete JDM H22 short block that he wanted the head from and I have 3 heads to pick from to put on it... f22a, f23a1, and h23a1.

I've been playing around with the head gaskets from each motor, and it seems the h23 and perhaps f23 heads would work without alterations. The f22 head is really close to working too.

The oil plug from the non-vtec motors would need to be installed if you use a non-vtec head. Don't use one if you use a vtec head.

The coolant cross-over pipe is the biggest issue I can find with this setup. The f22a/h23 head setup shouldn't require any hacking so long as you use an h23 manifold. The f23 head/manifold I think would require hacking. Of course, this is theoretical since I don't have an h22 block to play with... just an f23 and f22

The stock h22 block and a stock f22/f23/h23 head would net about 11.1 compression and 11.6:1 compression if you sub type-s pistons in the block.
                        There is no reason you couldn't get 200hp out of this setup... I'd think 200whp isn't out of the question. It's not too far off of Cisco's white project's specs for compression and RPMs. As long as you can get the head to flow, use a big enough cam, and find a good header this should own bolt on h22s on the dyno and compete with Cisco's white project for power. It will probably kill this on torque though because of the extra displacement and stroke.
                        Yeah my largest problem with trying this is the fact my cb is my daily driver I'm getting a 200-400 a month raise in jan so I will just have to see what I can do. If this is something i can not tackle on my own I sure would love to see someone try.. I believe the key is going to be the head... I would love to see what Cisco's head would do on a h22 block. I'm thinking monster. Others just don't see it.. They think its a down grade. Vtec or go home. Blah!

Comment

Other than the FRM sleeves in the h22 block there really arent that many differences between the two unless your going to be using the solid deck h22.

Another option is use the h22 crank rods and pistons in the f22 and you technically have an h22 with a f22 head.

My Wiretuck/ Insane engine bay
                          member ride thread
                          11.86@120mph T66 turbo 612hp F22A
                          DIVULGE MOTORSPORTS
                          People can hate all they want, my f22 is faster than yours.
                          I have literally been on this site for 10 years, I know what i am talking about!
                          John 10:18 "No one takes it from me, but I lay it down of my own accord. I have authority to lay it down and authority to take it up again. "

Comment

i have a h23 head (no cams), rods/pistons for sale... great for hybrid

Comment

Originally posted by turbo90accord View Post
                              Other than the FRM sleeves in the h22 block there really arent that many differences between the two unless your going to be using the solid deck h22.

Another option is use the h22 crank rods and pistons in the f22 and you technically have an h22 with a f22 head.
                              This is what I would do...you'd have to have the f22 block bored though.
                              There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X