Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Misc. Engine bay questions [W/Pictures]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misc. Engine bay questions [W/Pictures]

Hey guys, I have a few questions pertaining to things in the engine bay.

1) This large hose going from the radiator fan to the engine is sometimes "squishy". I've had two people tell me it shouldn't be that way. Does this indicate something is wrong?

2) My cooling fan seems to be supported by zip ties. I'd like to get rid of these ASAP and put whatever belongs back in it's place. What are the parts called?

In a thread labeled 'Engine bay dress up" I noticed two "plate" looking things supporting the fan on the chassis.

3) Final question, are these what are called "Engine mounts"?

Last edited by Kamatari+; 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM.

||91 Accord EX|| All of my images are hosted courtesy of imageShack.com
    Door-Sensor fix (DIY)||Interfacing Arduino to Power locks
    RICE = Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement.
    "The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
    "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

I can't see your photos but that error is on my end, so I'll guess at what you are speaking of.

1. I'm gonna say that the big hose is going to the radiator and not the cooling fan, when the engine is off it should be squishy as there shouldn't be any pressure. It only gets firm after the engine is warm and pressure has built.

2. The fans should be attached to the radiator which is big and square and has tiny fins that push in easily, as kids sometimes think is fun to do, I know I did when I was little. The radiator should have two triangular looking plates up top each with a hole and rubber grommet. If you don't have that and it's zip-tied then head to the local JY and pick them up for a few bucks.

3. Engine mounts are round in shape often with 3 "spokes" and are located: in the front between the engine and radiator/cooling fans; on the drivers side just forward of the timing belt near the top of the engine; and in the back just below the intake manifold and right at the block where it meets the tranny.
    Last edited by BurtonRiderT6; 04-02-2012, 08:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BurtonRiderT6 View Post
      I can't see your photos but that error is on my end, so I'll guess at what you are speaking of.

1. I'm gonna say that the big hose is going to the radiator and not the cooling fan, when the engine is off it should be squishy as there shouldn't be any pressure. It only gets firm after the engine is warm and pressure has built.

2. The fans should be attached to the radiator which is big and square and has tiny fins that push in easily, as kids sometimes think is fun to do, I know I did when I was little. The radiator should have two triangular looking plates up top each with a hole and rubber grommet. If you don't have that and it's zip-tied then head to the local JY and pick them up for a few bucks.

3. Engine mounts are round in shape often with 3 "spokes" and are located: in the front between the engine and radiator/cooling fans; on the drivers side just forward of the timing belt near the top of the engine; and in the back just below the intake manifold and right at the block where it meets the tranny.
      Admirable. You didn't have to see the pictures to know what I'm talking about! I believe you are right, it is not the cooling fans but radiator. I corrected that now thanks. The triangular looking plates I don't believe are at my junk yard because the cars have been stripped to a almost non-existent state. And again, What I took a picture of is what you described regarding the engine mounts. Thank you!

"The greatest advantage of speaking the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said." - unknown
      "That's the funny thing about parts that break... they're never broken until they are!" -deevergote

Comment

those are radiator mounts that you should be able to get off any cb7 at a automotive yard and yup those are engine mounts.

Comment

I see the pics
          1 that hose is your upper radiator hose and can be "squishy" but if its gummy replace
          2 where the zip ties are should be the triangular plates you've been told about
          3 yes that is the "dog bone" you also have motor mounts on both inner fenderwells the one oon the pass side is actually for the trans

Comment

Originally posted by oksleeper View Post
            I see the pics
            1 that hose is your upper radiator hose and can be "squishy" but if its gummy replace
            2 where the zip ties are should be the triangular plates you've been told about
            3 yes that is the "dog bone" you also have motor mounts on both inner fenderwells the one oon the pass side is actually for the trans
            and there is a mount on the rear of the transmission to the firewall.
            SHARPIE ACCORD HERE....
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192457

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys.

Comment

Also, someone is selling carbon fiber radiator mounts on here, you should check em out.
                "domesticated" is the seller
                Last edited by AAPOQ; 04-04-2012, 03:11 PM.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Originally posted by Kamatari+ View Post
                  2) My cooling fan seems to be supported by zip ties. I'd like to get rid of these ASAP and put whatever belongs back in it's place. What are the parts called?

Is it me or does your radiator sit below the support beam in front of it? I wonder if that is why it is zip tied, because if those posts that come up out of the radiator are too low, the brackets you need to get will not hold the radiator anyways.
                  "There is nothing wrong with you that an expensive operation cannot prolong."

Comment

I bet you're right, it does look lower. OP you might want to check all the mounting for your radiator. it definitely shouldn't sag down that low.

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                    BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                    Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                    CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Originally posted by AAPOQ View Post
                      I bet you're right, it does look lower. OP you might want to check all the mounting for your radiator. it definitely shouldn't sag down that low.
                      The easiest check would be to see if you have the rubber shoes/boots on the bottom two posts of the radiator are there. If those are not on there, I know the radiator sits lower.

Comment

*Face sad*

I sure hope there's nothing wrong here. I wouldn't know as 1) I've driven like this since last year and 2) I don't know if I can keep up with these issues financially.

How would I check if it's too low? Should I look under the area of the radiator? How would I fix this? Would this cause worse issues?

Comment

*Face sad*

I sure hope there's nothing wrong here. I wouldn't know as 1) I've driven like this since last year and 2) I don't know if I can keep up with these issues financially.

How would I check if it's too low? Should I look under the area of the radiator? How would I fix this? Would this cause worse issues?
                          there are 2 bolts at the bottom of each of the fans, most likely they are missing and causing the "sag".
                          Originally posted by Mishakol129
                          Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

*Face sad*

Well look at it from the front instead of straight down. The post should at least go above the brace by at least 1/2 inch. That's your first check.

If it is not, on the bottom of the radiator there is also the two posts like on the top. See if they are seated in the brackets down below (They are like little cups below the radiator) if they are, put your finger where the post goes in and see if you feel the rubber boot. you can also wiggle the radiator back and forth, if it moves at the bottom, then something is wrong.

Now you say you cannot keep up with the costs. If you are only missing the two bottom rubber boots and the top two brackets, I cannot imagine that costing you more than $10 (at max) in a junk yard. No need to stress over it.

Lastly, if you have been driving around that way since last year then leave it the way it is

Comment

Originally posted by dj_ender View Post
                              there are 2 bolts at the bottom of each of the fans, most likely they are missing and causing the "sag".
                              2 bolts holding the radiator on??????

Comment

Working...
                              X