Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you think some sort of racism is natural?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you think some sort of racism is natural?

Before you read any further, please be polite.
    I'm going to check this periodically throughout the day, and if it's gone, me or a mod deleted it.

Now, onto the question.
    When I was younger, my parents were the hip people of the day.
    They always said treat everyone equal. We're all the same, regardless of the color.
    We often went to Detroit for events, which of course is full of many races.

I was often uncomfortable around these people, but never said anything.

We had Windows 95, and some piece of software that came with it (Encarta?) that allowed us to play some music videos.
    One of the more catchy tunes was something by an artist I'm not sure of (possibly Janet Jackson).
    After a while of watching it, I said I didn't like it. My dad asked why, and I said because that lady is dark, and I don't like dark people.

After a terrifying walk downstairs to his study/drawing room, he told me again that all people should be treated the same, regardless of the color.
    (I didn't like this answer, but decided to keep it silent from them for many years)

I've since moved on from this, but I still think about it from time to time.
    Is it just naturally bred into us to dislike others?

Edit: I was 3-5 years old
    Last edited by GeoffM; 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM.
    MRT
    37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
    30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
    27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
    Originally posted by Tippey764
    I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
    Originally posted by deevergote
    sneaky motherfucker

Maybe.

I dislike lazy and stupid people. If you can call that a race. I think it is.

But as far as different nationalities or color. That doesn't bother me as much as the other two.

But I do dislike them. So maybe it is natural to not like everybody.

steve

Comment

I might sound like a bigot, but yes "racism" is ingrained into our dna. Maybe not the specifics that are "learned" through life, but basically people react to differences with apprehension. I guess its living life and everything else that then decides how a person reacts to those differences.

http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...abies-see-race
      http://www.scientificamerican.com/ar...abies-see-race

A baby would be a good control group because theyre too young to have learned anything biased, but the reaction is still there. Were still mammals and before society made everyone "proper" it was a kill or be killed world. If your little village had a bunch of different looking people showing up, the first thought would probably not be "theyre our friends" at least right at the very beginning.

From the primal cues built in, theyre amplified by any social proclivities.

Were all different if this society were to embrace differences things might be better, but i think from early childhood its hammered into kids brains that different is bad, mysterious and to be feared. Just look at all the clicks in highschools, the same turds clump together, then point at other groups.

Anyway this is kind of a can of worms. But at the very basics of it yes, everyone senses differences and then from there its up to that persons upbriging, social upraising etc, on how to react to those feelings.

at the end of the day theres dumb pieces of shit in every race, so I hate everyone equally

Comment

i like or dislike people on a case by case basis

but i have had experiences where i have been exposed to racist views and have learned from them
        http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

I don't agree that you are born with any other feeling or impulse other then self defense and the need to eat.

That is ALL a newborn infant knows. If you grab at his feet, his arms go up...

or if you wave something close to his/her face, arms go up.

Self defense.

And obv we are all born with the need to eat.

Other then that, it is not "engrained" in our DNA. You learn what you observe. So depending on how you're raised and what you "observe" is what you will put forth.

My opinion of course, but I just don't see how DNA can tell you to be racist.....doesn't make sense.

I do agree that it is natural to notice differences and question them....

If you are not integrated with different types of people at a young age then you would naturally be ignorant of the differences and that easily turns into a dislike.

We fear/dislike that which we do not understand.

If you go to a day care that is a good mix of children, then early on you will learn(hopefully) to share and to understand why everyone is different and to embrace those differences and use them for the greater good as opposed to tearing down individuals and society.
          Last edited by Ralphie; 10-27-2013, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post

We fear/dislike that which we do not understand.
            I think this makes the most sense.
            My parents were/are not racist, so it didn't come from them, and your explanation shows why.
            MRT
            37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
            30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
            27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
            Originally posted by Tippey764
            I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
            Originally posted by deevergote
            sneaky motherfucker

Comment

i think racism is a quick way of "trying" to break a person down through stereotypes.
              I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

I wouldn't call myself racist. I don't dislike any nationality and I can't think of any I haven't been in bed with. But I do find myself checking my words and actions when I'm around black people. Even though I have plenty of black friends. So is it racist that I consciously act different around them? Possibly by definition.
                '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

A fear of the unknown is natural (and actually a survival mechanism). There's nothing wrong with feeling uncomfortable around anyone that seems "different".
                  That in itself is not racism. Allowing that discomfort and fear to manifest itself in hostility is where racism comes from.

Everyone feels awkward around someone that is significantly different from themselves, especially when those differences are first encountered. The differences may seem strange, even unacceptable.

Like Bobby said, I also judge individuals, not groups. Individuals vary significantly, even those that are among a group with shared "different" traits.
                  However, I'm not afraid to admit that there are certain groups of people that I feel uncomfortable around. There are certain groups with practices within their culture (and often mixed in with the local culture that I'm familiar with) that I don't particularly understand or enjoy.
                  I don't see myself as being racist, as I don't allow the dislike of various culturally-influenced actions to define the individuals. I have friends among all the groups that I say make me feel uncomfortable. My friends don't make me feel uncomfortable, even when they exhibit the traits I don't care for.

The point is, it's just the foreign aspect that creates that discomfort. There's nothing wrong with it, as long as you act appropriately. Getting to know individuals within the "offensive" groups will often show you just how little those "offensive" traits really mean.

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    i think racism is a quick way of "trying" to break a person down through stereotypes.
                    however stereotypes are only created by large sample sizes of behavior exhibited by particular races. examples being people thinks germans are nazis or irish people are drunks or jewish people are cheap. is all that considered racism? hardly. all that is considered a harmless joke. however when stereotypes about blacks of muslims or asians or whatever are uttered then shit gets real. go figure. is it natural...no. but do people just pull these "stereotypes" from thin air...no. you figure it out.

-sean
                    Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                    Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

Well sterotypes are based on some truth, and some are just plain silly.

It is one thing if we are bringing light to them in a Dave Chapelle kind of way, it is another to take it too far or wholly believe that they are absolute truth.

Comment

I think what you described is natural, GeoffM, but I don't think your father understood what was going on when you said it.

The human brain is an amazing piece of machinery. It's extremely well suited for pattern recognition, etc. and making generalizations in order to survive. All you did as a kid was make a generalization/stereotype: you felt uncomfortable around those folks in Detroit, and not knowing any better you associated the same with the artist in the video. That's where the conscious mind kicks in and whatever it is that makes you you takes over; you're able to see through this sort of "gut" reaction and use reasoning and understanding to know that it's generally unfounded in society today.

This is all conjecture I believe, as I'm no expert in psychology etc., but I think it's sensible. I wouldn't call that racism either, though without taking some sort of conscious effort to understand it, this process probably is what gives way to racism at large.

Just my $0.02.

Comment

so if a white guy actually managed to convince comedy network that he was doing a Chapelle type show where he sits there and acts out black stereotypes or muslim stereotypes like Chapelle or any kind. you think his show wouldnt get pulled after all the negative feedback? its just acting right. and just comedy right. so why isnt it funny when a white guy does it?

if there were a WET (white entertainment network) like there is a BET (black entertainment network) on tv where only whites could be the star of the show and only be largely about white music would the NAACP give a wink and a smile

THAT is racism for you

-sean
                          Members ride 15.927 @ 86.76 (f22a1)

Hit the clutch Hit the gear Hit the gas and i'm GONE>>>
                          Arcadia Green Crew #10

Comment

"We fear/dislike that which we do not understand." Indeed, and even as an infant you would "know" that someone looks, talks, and acts differently from the parents from which you came. Google it.

Yes, everyone on this planet naturally prefers to be around other people who have traits similar to them. Physical or other. Even the different classes within one tribe of people prefer people within their class. It's been this way since the beginning of time and it's not going to change. Doesn't mean it's a negative thing. The fact that some people want to make everyone equal creates more strife in society than is needed. So, yes, we all are "racists" but the meaning of that word implies blind hate so unfortunately we can't use that to describe the truth. Until the people who know better have a louder voice than the cowardly and misinformed crowds, the problems between us all will continue.

"The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal." -Artistotle

"Truth is hate to those who hate the truth." - Unknown
                            Metal Metal and more Metal!!!

How much does your wheel/tire combo weigh? Post here!
                            -=Suicide Crew Member #1 (only member so far)=-
                            MY RIDE

"I was hoping the Wolverine would finger one of those Japanese girls and then extend a claw into her b hole just for fun, BUT that never happened and I was extremely unsatisfied with the movie because of it." -Macaqueistrong

Comment

I think its normal. I walked into the Social Security office the other day and spoke in English and they gave me the papers for a renewal in Spanish. I understood it but I saw that they only had one Spanish speaking guy so I would have to wait a lot more. I asked to papers in English and the guy said he wasn't trying to be racist or anything and we just had a laugh about it.
                              10th Anniversary Accord.
                              05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

Working...
                              X