Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those of you wanting to swap in a J-series...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For those of you wanting to swap in a J-series...

I know the idea is far-fetched for most, given both the expense and downtime such a swap requires. But, we have four known swaps either fully driving or with questionable capabilities.

Just think if you could take it a step further. What if your 248 hp J35A3 just wasn't cutting it. Well, you'd probably throw in some J32A2 cams and put a J37A4 intake manifold on top of it and shoot for 250whp, right? Failing that, you'd bolt on a set of headers and 3.5" intake and see if you could get 265whp. What if you still wanted to bolt on just a little bit more and you weren't ready for a full on rebuild? Somewhere in the neighborhood of 50whp for around $1500. I think this could be your starting point.

http://prankparts.com/store/m90-adapter
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

I saw this one at CAM yesterday.

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

Has a lot of foreign market and rare parts and yet does not have one-piecers.
      Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post

Those are the JDM Coupe headlights. Even more rare than your run of he mill JDM one-piece.
        ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::For Sale Thread::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::: S2K::::::::::::::::: ::::::::::::::::: CB7:::::::::::::::: Flickr

Comment

I wouldn't say that. Every car outside of the US and Canadian market got those 2-piece headlights with the exception of the JDM-only sedans that got 1-piece headlights.

And that car belongs to Mike Torres who I'm not sure is a member here or not. I know he's not on the Facebook page because of some indifferences, but it's a cool car nonetheless.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Looks like edm headlights to me. The edm ones are the ones without the little glass nipples on them right?

I wish I could trade my heart for an extra liver, just so I can drink more and care less.

Comment

Which is the same as JDM coupes and wagons, anything from Malaysia, Thailand, Taiwan, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, France, Germany, Finland, Croatia, Poland and Russia. South American cars seem to go either way in terms of the above-mentioned convention or the USDM-style. The only difference is that Australia's are upside-down.

Comment

He's not on the Facebook group due to some inappropriate slurs...

But I do give him credit for building the first J swapped CB7 that was proven to be driveable.

As for the use of a supercharger... I would expect that would make for a practically uncontrollable amount of power to the front wheels! I say this having been the owner of a 2002 Grand Prix GTP. Supercharged 3.8L V6, making only 240hp (280tq) at the crank. It came with a 4 speed automatic, and it was quite easy to spin the wheels (with inexpensive all season tires) through 2nd gear.

However, a supercharged V6 in a CB7 would still be drool-worthy!

Also, for the work and expense it would take to do a J swap, a supercharged 3800 swap would likely be no more difficult, and possibly less costly. The J engines are SO different than anything we have in our cars now that it might as well come from a different manufacturer. The J engines are great engines, however, it seems brand loyalty is the primary reason for the swap... or the assumption that it's easier because it's Honda.

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                  because that determines what wins an award or not
                  I <3 G60.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    He's not on the Facebook group due to some inappropriate slurs...
                    I wasn't aware of the details and figured it was none of my business.

The J engines are great engines, however, it seems brand loyalty is the primary reason for the swap... or the assumption that it's easier because it's Honda.
                    The aftermarket is fairly large for them, and the ability to buy a J30A1 for under $300 to get the swap done and the kinks worked out is enticing. Once you've gotten that far, it's not too much more effort to get a J32A2 or custom-built 3.6-liter J-series installed and running.

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
                    because that determines what wins an award or not
                    What did you think it took? Originality and hard work?

However, in this day and age, there aren't many people helping the CB Accord crowd out in terms of other-market parts. I've had to get pretty creative with my searching to come up with some of the things that I have recently. So, I can appreciate the effort in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      I wasn't aware of the details and figured it was none of my business.

The aftermarket is fairly large for them, and the ability to buy a J30A1 for under $300 to get the swap done and the kinks worked out is enticing. Once you've gotten that far, it's not too much more effort to get a J32A2 or custom-built 3.6-liter J-series installed and running.

What did you think it took? Originality and hard work?

However, in this day and age, there aren't many people helping the CB Accord crowd out in terms of other-market parts. I've had to get pretty creative with my searching to come up with some of the things that I have recently. So, I can appreciate the effort in that regard.
                      I think wed3k was just talking about the fact that not having one piece headlights isn't exactly a big deal.
                      Honestly, after seeing icedplaya123's TSX projector retrofit done on USDM glass housings, I kinda wish I didn't have my plastic JDM 1 one piece lights! (the real irony of it is that my lights originally came from his car!)

As for Mike... I only mentioned it because there have undoubtedly been things said about his departure. Since said departure was mentioned, I'd rather it be known what the reason was. He did respectable work, and it's a shame he's no longer part of the CB7tuner community in any fashion... but we don't tolerate that sort of thing. No exceptions are made, even for the owners of impressive builds like that.

Comment

You know, I have been scheming about two possible Honda projects.

The first one is a Legend with a tranny swap to make it RWD. The hard part would be the rear end, as most of the other major stuff is already there.

Oddly, the 2nd Gen Legend rear suspension was designed for AWD, because you can see where they planned for all the drive shafts and such to go.

I suppose you could borrow a rear diff from something like an S13, BMW, or S2000 to put back there. It would just be sort of cool to get a 6MT Type II Legend to be RWD.

The other project I have thought about was making a RWD CB7 with a J series swap. Not sure how ugly the hood would have to be though to clear it, and there would definitely be major changes to the chassis structure... But it would be a hell of a fun car...
                        The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

A RWD 2nd gen Legend would be absolutely incredible. That car should've been RWD from the start. It has the right look for it. It has the right engine orientation for it. It's Honda's luxury flagship model... with its intended Japanese competition being not only RWD, but V8 powered as well (Lexus LS400 and Infiniti Q45.) RWD would've evened the playing field a bit, I think. Even though, despite being incredibly impressive for a V6 of its time, the Type II C32A was still between 20hp and 60hp short of the V8s found in the Lexus and Infiniti. Although the Legend was roughly 250lbs lighter than each of those cars (3550lbs vs 3850lbs for both the Q45 and LS400 in 1995.) Lesser weight, and the offering of a manual transmission (which I'd have hoped would've remained had they gone RWD) would've evened things out quite a bit, I feel.

If Honda had gone AWD with the Legend as they seem to have planned, do you think they'd have done a traditional RWD-based AWD system (which would make sense, given the engine orientation)? Or do you think they'd have gone with a FWD-based AWD system, with a transfer case added to the existing FWD transmission?
                          Seems like it'd be a backwards way of doing things... but hey... if Saab managed to put their 900's engine in with the clutch in front, and the transmission underneath... nothing else seems weird!

Comment

A RWD 2nd gen Legend would be absolutely incredible. That car should've been RWD from the start. It has the right look for it. It has the right engine orientation for it. It's Honda's luxury flagship model... with its intended Japanese competition being not only RWD, but V8 powered as well (Lexus LS400 and Infiniti Q45.) RWD would've evened the playing field a bit, I think. Even though, despite being incredibly impressive for a V6 of its time, the Type II C32A was still between 20hp and 60hp short of the V8s found in the Lexus and Infiniti. Although the Legend was roughly 250lbs lighter than each of those cars (3550lbs vs 3850lbs for both the Q45 and LS400 in 1995.) Lesser weight, and the offering of a manual transmission (which I'd have hoped would've remained had they gone RWD) would've evened things out quite a bit, I feel.

If Honda had gone AWD with the Legend as they seem to have planned, do you think they'd have done a traditional RWD-based AWD system (which would make sense, given the engine orientation)? Or do you think they'd have gone with a FWD-based AWD system, with a transfer case added to the existing FWD transmission?
                            Seems like it'd be a backwards way of doing things... but hey... if Saab managed to put their 900's engine in with the clutch in front, and the transmission underneath... nothing else seems weird!
                            Actually, the Type II Legend was faster than those V8 powered luxury cars. The LS400 of the time only had 20 more HP, and it was heavier and more lazily programmed.

Acura didn't really have any trouble keeping up until they got stupid and debuted the first gen RL and started softening everything and going away from their roots. Of course, that was more indicative that bad management had already gotten far up the ladder than just changing the names on the cars. There aren't many reviews of it, but here is a decent one:

He sort of talks about all of that. And yes, as far as sedans go, it is in the top 5 all time designs for the early to mid 90's.
                            The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Given how far back the C32A in the Legend sits relative to the drive wheels I would be hard pressed to come up with a transmission for use with it better than the AWD Skyline GT-R 6-speed. A custom driveshaft connecting the Skyline center differential with the forward differential from the Legend could work. If you swapped the engine to a J-series, a custom oil pan spacer could be made that incorporated the front differential mount. Lengthen the pick-up tube, mill an adapter for the transmission, settle the clutch issue and you're halfway there. Even the 6-speed attached to the R-34 GT-R puts the shifter pretty close to where the Legend shifter is. Of course, if you were swapping in a J-series engine, mount location could be played with to line it up exactly.

Comment

Working...
                              X