Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Is there a way to auto tune a car??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is there a way to auto tune a car??

Dont flame me! Just an idea want to see if its viable. Or even possible..

I was thinking about this for the past few days. I know very little about tuning but i know you want to get to a target afr not to rich not to lean something like 11.5 afr << dont know if thats 100% correct. Why couldnt someone make a program that would take a wideband reading at a given rpm and make its own adjustments?

Say someone makes a excel program with 100 points/lines of interest or as many as you want for that matter and each point is a given rpm. You input the target afr for the rpm's in these lines. Now with the use of a data cable or something you simply go for a slow drive it takes it's readings and adjust your tuning program accordingly to your preset afr's? So basically instead of you adjusting the fuel your self adding/taking away fuel to reach your target afr's. You preset in the afr's you want and let the laptop do the work.. Sorry if this sound stupid but i figure this is somewhat how a stock ecu works by making adjustments on its own to keep within the specs the honda preset.. Any idea's? Thanks..

possible but would require more high tech stuff to get the job done. you can only affect so much with a change of voltage and that's really all that would be doing.
    ....and on the 7th day, deevergote rested and called his mom.

Comment

Your refering to the voltage of the wideband correct? From my understanding this is how your get your afr readings anyways. So if you have a program that can read the wideband on a computer just have it add 5% or take away 5% of fuel untill its reached the afr you want. I wish i could build a program or know someone that could make one just to test it out on a stock setup. I know its not as easy as it sounds (seeing i wouldnt even know where to start) Now say street tuning you data log get the rpm and afr's for the given rpm's then manualy go into the sectors and add or subtract fuel untill you get your stable target afr's I dont see a difference here. Other than you have a program making the adjustments and not the user. if this would work it would make tuning quick and easy you know.. I need to do alot more reasearch maybe go to my local tuners and watch and learn how they do it. Automatic tuning on the fly ftw! or not lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
        Your refering to the voltage of the wideband correct? From my understanding this is how your get your afr readings anyways. So if you have a program that can read the wideband on a computer just have it add 5% or take away 5% of fuel untill its reached the afr you want. I wish i could build a program or know someone that could make one just to test it out on a stock setup. I know its not as easy as it sounds (seeing i wouldnt even know where to start) Now say street tuning you data log get the rpm and afr's for the given rpm's then manualy go into the sectors and add or subtract fuel untill you get your stable target afr's I dont see a difference here. Other than you have a program making the adjustments and not the user. if this would work it would make tuning quick and easy you know.. I need to do alot more reasearch maybe go to my local tuners and watch and learn how they do it. Automatic tuning on the fly ftw! or not lol.

nah, i'm talking about you can only adjust the fuel and air and all of that so much before PHYSICAL changes are necessary.

Comment

Look into the AEM EMS

Comment

Originally posted by bruno8747
            Look into the AEM EMS
            he's talking about a base tune that will fine tune itself after everything is up and running. to get the most from any stand alone ecu or chip, you gotta get it close then it can fine tune itself a bit.

Comment

most of the ecu programs have auto tune features. They just aren't as efficient as somebody that knows what they're doing. You can have it assist you for the vacuum map but for anything close to 0 vac and above there's no way i'd trust a computer to make those calculations.
              Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

I can tune much better and faster than most auto tune programs. (if I have my damn laptop with me)

The auto-tune feature in Crome Pro sucks balls.

The best I've seen to date is AEM. But really, if you're spending that much on an ems system, I bet you're going to have someone else tune it.

Also, auto-tune works best for partial throttle. You'd have to have a really fast computer as well as a super advanced program to be able to read everything during wot to even get close.

What's sad about that is that tuning wot is damn easy. Should take less than 30 minutes, depending on the setup.(again, with a laptop).
                Last edited by d112crzy; 09-12-2007, 12:16 PM.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

The new Greddy E-Manage Ultimate has an auto tune A/F ratio feature when connect to wideband A/F source, It cheaper then AEM EMS and does it job well. My AEM UEgo wideband and E)manage Ultimate has auto tune A/F to 11.5:1. ANy manual tune on the laptop and Dyno will has faster direct result, The Auto tune help if your area has big temperature changes all year round. Before my car would run perfect A/F ratio 12:1 in spring and would lean out a bit in summer at 12.6:1 and would run richer in fall and winter at 11:1, now with auto A/F target i'm runing ~11.5:1 through spring and summer hot weather. Just my 2 cent view..
                  90 Accord Coupe LX, Stock JDM H22A Engine 10.6:1 - Stock Automatic LSD MPA1 Trans, JDM P13 Auto ECU + JDM P19 TCU. Tune with Greddy E-Manage Ultimate
                  < 317WHP/227WTQ@11psi> B/W S256 turbo, Daily Driving on 93 pump gas - since 2006. Driving Turbocharged CB7 Accord since 2002.

Comment

For weather changing issues, there's options like ect vs iat tables.

Or just leave it in closed loop. Unless you just want outstanding gas mileage, which I completely understand because I hardly run closed loop after I tune.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys. Reason im asking is because i do plan to go turbo some time down the road if finances allow. It's going to be a different setup but very simple. I'm not looking for big hp as of yet but i do want to get some hands on and teach myself. Tuning is going to be the biggest hurdle for me. There are very few people here that can tune and i sure as hell dont want to pay a shop 150-200 bucks an hour for tuning. Id much rather get hands on with atleast a basemap on a stock motor just for learning how to get the correct afr's and what not. I know some of you guys know what your doing, what programs to use, dataloging and what hardware is needed to make it all go right. But for right now im not willing to make the investment just to fail. But if i can get a chance to watch over someones shoulder and get my hands dirty that alone would make all the difference. But low and behold there just is not opportunity in my area. One of the closest shops to me dont actually even have a in house tuner, they fly soneone in from texas for a few days and only do this once or twice a year so needless to say there is a long ass line. But again who wants to pay for someone to do the tuning just to have to wait another 6 months to make any changes and pay out the ass again.. I know you have to pay to play but shit for the cost id just fly my own ass to someone that knows what they are doing and learn from them. Thanks guys..

Comment

Looks like were on the same boat I want to learn to tune also so I don't have to pay an arma nd aleg everytime I need a tune
                        lost but not forgotten 9-11-01

Comment

Originally posted by Gettin_faster91
                          Thanks for the advice guys. Reason im asking is because i do plan to go turbo some time down the road if finances allow. It's going to be a different setup but very simple. I'm not looking for big hp as of yet but i do want to get some hands on and teach myself. Tuning is going to be the biggest hurdle for me. There are very few people here that can tune and i sure as hell dont want to pay a shop 150-200 bucks an hour for tuning. Id much rather get hands on with atleast a basemap on a stock motor just for learning how to get the correct afr's and what not. I know some of you guys know what your doing, what programs to use, dataloging and what hardware is needed to make it all go right. But for right now im not willing to make the investment just to fail. But if i can get a chance to watch over someones shoulder and get my hands dirty that alone would make all the difference. But low and behold there just is not opportunity in my area. One of the closest shops to me dont actually even have a in house tuner, they fly soneone in from texas for a few days and only do this once or twice a year so needless to say there is a long ass line. But again who wants to pay for someone to do the tuning just to have to wait another 6 months to make any changes and pay out the ass again.. I know you have to pay to play but shit for the cost id just fly my own ass to someone that knows what they are doing and learn from them. Thanks guys..
                          Make the investment, it's worth it.

Start buy buying a wideband and burner. Play around with your stock car. It's the best way to learn. After a few months, you'll get the hang of it.

It's VERY hard to blow up a stock engine. I've gone super lean, and super rich on our cars.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

Start buy buying a wideband and burner. Play around with your stock car. It's the best way to learn. After a few months, you'll get the hang of it.

It's VERY hard to blow up a stock engine. I've gone super lean, and super rich on our cars.
                            as far as stock, you mean nothing altered like i/h/e, or nothing major like valve work and electrical changes(msd, hks, etc.)
                            "You don't have to be a Phi Beta Kappa to know not to strip-search a girl who is accused of stealing change,"

I did gagoogity that girl. I gashmoigitied her gaflavity with my googis. And I am sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy

Yeah when i get some funds together i'm going to hit you up for a chipped ecu and a basemap. Whats the going price for a chipped po6? I might want to run a duel chip setup or something that holds two maps and i can switch between the two without removing and replacing the chips.. Thanks Guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X