Underdash component identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Underdash component identification

Alright, the FSM has been a pretty big help so far, but I've got some confusion that I'd like not to worsen going forward. I thought I'd ask you guys for some help, since some of you may be more fresh when it comes to pulling out components under the dash. I'm looking at you, Rilas.

I'm stripping another chassis harness from a parts car auto LX and removing everything that won't be needed for the Infinity 6 harness, and for the ultimate use of the car. I have it mostly done, aside from a few components under the left hand side of the dash. I've eliminated the engine harness portions, cruise control, injector resistor harness, key inter lock box, auto selector, TCU, ECU and horn & lowbeam from the driver's side. The pictures below are the components I'd like some clarity on.

The red box is the inter lock module and it has been removed. The gray metal box behind the dangling SRS wire is the cruise controller and it has also been removed. The relay bolted to the dash frame is the cigarette lighter relay, and that will be staying. What I can't determine from the FSM is what the connector with the orange and black wires is for, nor the relay next to the cruise controller (yellow plug) and black box hiding in plain sight above the hood latch release.

This picture has a couple of extra connectors in it that are all tied in somehow to the relay in question.

The relay next to the cruise module. I think this is actually for the cruise system, but I'm not totally sure. Tracing wires hasn't been fully conclusive.

The teal/blue wire shown in the relay picture splits and one comes to this connector. This goes blue, teal/blue, teal/red, teal/black. The other goes to the large blue connector going to the combination switch.

Some other teal wires go to this connector, which also appears to be a relay connector, though I didn't pull it with the harness if it did. I also didn't seem to take a reference picture in the parts car that can find this. I would only have cut the wires if I traced them from a known unnecessary component, so I feel this can go, but I'd like to know what it is, and where its relay is located.

This is just a picture of the orange and black wire connector from the first picture.

My best guess from the FSM is that this is for the rear engine mount. I can't remember my old LX knowledge like I used to, so I can't remember if the LX auto had an electronically-controlled rear mount. I do know that one of the wires leading to it is associated with the TPS, though.

Thanks for any help you can provide! Once I get it fully stripped, I'll begin the process of tying other components back into it.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

orange/black to the small silver box is the "headlights on" chime.

black plastic box under the chime is indeed the auto mount control.

relay "346" with the yellow connector is the horn, based on the wire colors - not cigarette lighter. I think the cigarette lighter relay is extra tiny/thin.

there is also a radiator fan control module deep in there somewhere - an 8-pin black plastic box mounted to the same stud as the Main Relay.

the relay on the left with the brown connector might be the starter relay? what are the wire colors on that one?
    Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-27-2018, 02:59 AM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
    - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
    - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
    - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
    - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
    Current cars:
    - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
    - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
      orange/black to the small silver box is the "headlights on" chime.
      10-4

black plastic box under the chime is indeed the auto mount control.
      10-4

relay "346" with the yellow connector is the horn, based on the wire colors - not cigarette lighter. I think the cigarette lighter relay is extra tiny/thin.
      I wasn't saying this one was the cigarette lighter. I was saying the brown one was. More on that down below. If you think this is the horn relay, then that may help me figure out what the other yellow connector is that the teal/blue wire goes to from this relay.

there is also a radiator fan control module deep in there somewhere - an 8-pin black plastic box mounted to the same stud as the Main Relay.
      I can see it in this diagram, but I haven't narrowed it down to the connector that went to it. My reference pictures inside the car weren't great, as I was in a hurry. Once everything else starts getting narrowed down, I'm sure I'll find it. I wonder what of the OEM radiator fan control system the Infinity will need, anyway.

the relay on the left with the brown connector might be the starter relay? what are the wire colors on that one?
      The colors on it match the colors as they are called out in the FSM location diagram.

Thank you VERY much for your help! I know you would be the person to ask, but I wasn't sure how much you were around.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

no problem!

The radiator fan control plug is 8 pin, in 2 rows. I think its a grey block connector. The FSM includes a better diagram further into the chapter about diagnosing the cooling system.

Sounds like you are correct about the cigarette lighter relay, the mounting location and wire colors sound like a match.

I'm still not sure about that 4 (or 5?) pin yellow receptacle plug. I always assumed it was how the SRS system accesses speed/VSS/etc information because of the yellow plug... and I'm pretty sure when removing an SRS harness, it has the same "loose end" on it.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

I think I'm going to go ahead and eliminate that timer, too. The AEM Infinity triggers the fan relay with a switched ground, so it will likely be easier to just simplify that with new wiring directly to the existing relay.

I'll keep looking to see if I can determine what the other connectors are for. It would be nice if the diagrams were labeled like the Toyota diagrams. This is one of the diagrams I'm using for my Toyota EHPS pump.

Comment

Working...
          X