Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

how much boost?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how much boost?!

im boosting my stock f22a1 with a dsm turbo setup im going with the 14b turbo and im curious on how much pounds do i run on it.. I've read a few threads but it always end up going off topic. My tuner says he can make it run strong with 10pounds but i want to find out from people with experience.

its bin bothering me for a while let me know..

and i know this dont matter but i have 460 injectors, 255lph treperformance fuel pump,boost controller,fpr...ehh this is useless lets just say i have everything i need..

anyone...?

Comment

on a stock block I would not go any higher than 12 psi.
      thats just me. all depends on your motor.

I like 8-10 psi for the F22 with 14b!

Good luck!
      MadLab Racing
      Southern Maryland

Comment

What are you using for tuning? The higher the boost, the more precise your tuning must be.

Also, I wouldn't plan on using that 14b for long. Small turbos make more heat. The 14b was small for the 2.0L engine it came on... it is far too small for the F22A!

Comment

im going to use a po6 chipped with chrome.. and yea its going to get dyno tuned the tuner had bin tuning for 25 years.. but when i get a 16g do i need to get another tune or i could just bold it right on? and how high are the chances of me messing up my engine with the 14b?

thanks for the replys fellas

Comment

Originally posted by drummersteve7 View Post
            on a stock block I would not go any higher than 12 psi.
            thats just me. all depends on your motor.

I like 8-10 psi for the F22 with 14b!

Good luck!
            didnt you have a 14b on your setup? did you have any heat related problems or anything? what do you think about the whole heat situation.

Comment

I have a 14b turbo on my F22A1 currently. I have an 8.2:1 compression ratio, effiecient front-mount intercooler, and im running a P06 on Crome Pro, street-tuned by myself.

Im at 10 PSI right now, and it pulls hard, I love having a smaller turbo. Everyone always bashes the 14b but it has alot of potential if you can use it correctly. Im keeping a VERY close eye on my intake air temps via my USB datalogger and so far they have been well within tolerable limits. I plan to up the boost a little more soon, so I'll see what my 14b ends up maxing out at without making too much heat. So far my intake air temps under boost arent much more than when im off-boost so apparently I still have some room for improvement, while still running it safely.

I would much rather use the smallest turbo possible in any boosted situation. Theres no point in finally making boost at 2,000 RPMs before your redline with a huge turbo. As long as your intake temps are low enough, and your turbo is still operating in a relatively effecient range then you should be fine. Although the 14b is a small turbo, it actually works quite well outside the range it was designed for, which is why we can still use it succesfully on our slightly larger F22 engines. Horsepower sounds cool, but torque wins the race = smaller turbo for the win! Get that boost down low where you need it the most

My build goal is to try and get on the top ten most powerful turbo builds on this site with my "little" 14b. It might take a little more work to get there, but I'll have boost on demand, and still have high top-end power. Dont underestimate the 14b in the right hands.
              Last edited by ON_N20; 05-21-2010, 12:29 AM.
              ON_N20
              Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

the right hands is the issue... Most people don't have the sense or knowledge to properly monitor intake temps.

A larger turbo is safer. Temps are lower, and boost comes later (so driving out of boost is possible).

When you change turbos, you change everything... you will need to re-tune. Just do it right and get an Evo3 16g.

Comment

Originally posted by ON_N20 View Post
                  I have a 14b turbo on my F22A1 currently. I have an 8.2:1 compression ratio, effiecient front-mount intercooler, and im running a P06 on Crome Pro, street-tuned by myself.

Im at 10 PSI right now, and it pulls hard, I love having a smaller turbo. Everyone always bashes the 14b but it has alot of potential if you can use it correctly. Im keeping a VERY close eye on my intake air temps via my USB datalogger and so far they have been well within tolerable limits. I plan to up the boost a little more soon, so I'll see what my 14b ends up maxing out at without making too much heat. So far my intake air temps under boost arent much more than when im off-boost so apparently I still have some room for improvement, while still running it safely.

I would much rather use the smallest turbo possible in any boosted situation. Theres no point in finally making boost at 2,000 RPMs before your redline with a huge turbo. As long as your intake temps are low enough, and your turbo is still operating in a relatively effecient range then you should be fine. Although the 14b is a small turbo, it actually works quite well outside the range it was designed for, which is why we can still use it succesfully on our slightly larger F22 engines. Horsepower sounds cool, but torque wins the race = smaller turbo for the win! Get that boost down low where you need it the most

My build goal is to try and get on the top ten most powerful turbo builds on this site with my "little" 14b. It might take a little more work to get there, but I'll have boost on demand, and still have high top-end power. Dont underestimate the 14b in the right hands.

are you running on stock internals?? and how long yu bin boosted for??
                  and thanks mann i really appreciate your input

Comment

tdo5h is a 14b? or tdo5?? mine is a tdo5h

Comment

Originally posted by turbolude View Post
                      are you running on stock internals?? and how long yu bin boosted for??
                      and thanks mann i really appreciate your input
                      Nope the engine is built, I have all forged internals in the bottom end. Thats also why my compression ratio is 8.2:1 instead of the stock 8.8:1. I just have the stock crankshaft, Toga forged H-beam rods, and Arias forged 8.2:1 CR dish pistons / floating wrist pins, and the cylinder head is completely rebuilt stock.

My turbo says TDO5H on the compressor housing, which I believe just determines the overall size of the compressor housing including the intake diameter. The turbine housing and turbine/compressor should all be interchangeable with most other compressor housings like the TDO6 or whatever, to the best of my knowledge.

Ive only been boosted now for about 700 miles, but Ive been taking it "easy" and watching my AFR's real closely as well as other engine vitals. So far so good
                      ON_N20
                      Nitrous = Been there. Turbo = Now. Nitrous + Turbo?... LOADING

Comment

The task ON_N20 is taking on is quite a task to be in the top 10. He may build the crap out of his motor and boost 50psi on the 14b but the fact is....that turbo dies out way to soon. The turbos efficiency starts to die. He'll start makin less and less power per PSI once he starts hittin 12-13psi while multiplying the heat of his intake temps. I know at 13 psi on my 14b, my peak horsepower was at like 5500 rpms at like 217whp on my stock f22a1 block. Anything higher in boost wasnt worth it as my gains were practically pointless while adding so much more risk.

Comment

how much hp and tq are you guys running on with around 10pounds

Comment

Working...
                          X