Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I'm going to add shock forces soon I think to this. Also, does anyone know the damn stock spring rates? I can't find them.
    There are no black and white suspension answers!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I added the most common dampers for the CB7 to the list and whether they have damping adjustability or any other special features. I will try to find the damping forces for them when I have time. This will help people match up well-performing shock and spring combos.

Comment

Searching the site today I came accross this thread, where on post #20-#21, if I'm reading it right says that OEM replacement springs are in the range of 255 front/149 rear. Im guessing that these would be fairly close to the OEM Honda stock springs right? But at the same time, comparing these spring rates with the posted Neuspeed sport spring rate, they are quite close. Considering this comparison, can our original springs have a spring rate close to the rates of Neuspeed Sports? Reason Im trying to find out so much is because Im trying to determine if the Koni STR.T struts will be able to support my Neuspeed Sports spring rates. Hope I didnt go too off topic here.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=full+soft
        Last edited by vinbon63; 01-20-2010, 03:36 PM.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Originally posted by vinbon63 View Post
          Searching the site today I came accross this thread, where on post #20-#21, if I'm reading it right says that OEM replacement springs are in the range of 255 front/149 rear. Im guessing that these would be fairly close to the OEM Honda stock springs right? But at the same time, comparing these spring rates with the posted Neuspeed sport spring rate, they are quite close. Considering this comparison, can our original springs have a spring rate close to the rates of Neuspeed Sports? Reason Im trying to find out so much is because Im trying to determine if the Koni STR.T struts will be able to support my Neuspeed Sports spring rates. Hope I didnt go too off topic here.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=full+soft
          I seriously doubt those numbers are right. That would also mean that a Tokico HP shock is too weak for a stock spring...and that isn't true.
          STR.T's and Neuspeed sports should be just find. If you're in doubt, call Koni and give them the Neuspeed sport spring rates and see if they can tell you if it would be ok.

I actually JUST got off the phone with Tokico tech. I'm working on finding the damping forces for all the common shocks, so that people will be able to answer questions just like yours by looking at this thread.

Comment

d2 springs. stock shocks.

Comment

Originally posted by accord_rider View Post
              d2 springs. stock shocks.

No other comments? How does it ride? How does it handle? Is it smooth, bouncy, was understeer increased or reduced?

Comment

oh my bad.

its great. understeer was definetly reduced. just took it on a roadtrip to cali and back and i loved every mile of it. (ask my wife ) but seriously though, i didnt expect it to handle/feel this good. ive had h&r and teins before and they were both bouncier. these are my favorite so far. imma upgrade to d2 1piece coilovers when i have the funds.

Comment

Originally posted by mndude07 View Post
                  I seriously doubt those numbers are right. That would also mean that a Tokico HP shock is too weak for a stock spring...and that isn't true.
                  STR.T's and Neuspeed sports should be just find. If you're in doubt, call Koni and give them the Neuspeed sport spring rates and see if they can tell you if it would be ok.

I actually JUST got off the phone with Tokico tech. I'm working on finding the damping forces for all the common shocks, so that people will be able to answer questions just like yours by looking at this thread.
                  Very true, I was thinking they sounded too high. I did contact Koni North America today and got some info from them. I was told that the STR.t's do have the Sport valving inside and are comparable to the koni sport (yellows) on full soft. I asked for some comparative details on the damping force between Koni STR.T's and Sports on full soft and this is what I received:

Fronts str-t is 670 bump and 3150 rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm
                  Front sports is 750 bump and 3000 min (full soft) rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpms

Rear str-t is 310bump and 760 rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm
                  Rear sport is 300 bump and 950 min (full soft) rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm

I was trying to understand this all...I understand what bump and rebound are, I also understand how this shock dyno works and what the stroke and rpm settings mean, but I dont actually understand the values for bump and rebound...what would the unit of measurement be for them? Again, I hope this is valuble content for this thread, otherwise no problem, just delete it.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Originally posted by vinbon63 View Post
                    Very true, I was thinking they sounded too high. I did contact Koni North America today and got some info from them. I was told that the STR.t's do have the Sport valving inside and are comparable to the koni sport (yellows) on full soft. I asked for some comparative details on the damping force between Koni STR.T's and Sports on full soft and this is what I received:

Fronts str-t is 670 bump and 3150 rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm
                    Front sports is 750 bump and 3000 min (full soft) rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpms

Rear str-t is 310bump and 760 rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm
                    Rear sport is 300 bump and 950 min (full soft) rebound at 75mm stroke and 84rpm

I was trying to understand this all...I understand what bump and rebound are, I also understand how this shock dyno works and what the stroke and rpm settings mean, but I dont actually understand the values for bump and rebound...what would the unit of measurement be for them? Again, I hope this is valuble content for this thread, otherwise no problem, just delete it.

No, that is very useful, thanks. I would like to know the forces at full stiff for the yellows also though. The units are the same as a spring rate, so lbs/in. The damping force opposes the spring force, so they must be the same units. On a suspension histogram though, usually you would look at inches/second travel speed of the shock vs the force, so maybe I need to do some conversions with those strokes and rpms. Low speed damping is usually the most important thing to look at..3-4 inches/second and less. As a damper tries to change piston direction, it must first slow down, hence the lower speeds.
                    I love seeing info like this. Thank you. CB7tuner needs to get smarter and more technical, and its things like this that help.
                    Last edited by mndude07; 01-20-2010, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Here's something interesting to look at:

http://www.koni-na.com/presentations/mustang/

Its for a mustang, yes, but there is alot of good info there comparatively. Notice the AGX is superior to the Illumina in that there is far less cross-talk between compression and rebound adjustments. Koni is superior though. Adjusting the knob changes the rebound with hardly any change in compression, which is what is supposed to happen. On the Illumina's however, both the compression and rebound are changed almost equivalently, which is NOT good. Notice the AGX performs similar to the Koni Sport except for adjustment position number 1, otherwise there is very little cross talk.

Since technology used is the same, and only the valvings change between applications, you could expect similar comparisons for the CB7. For that reason, I would say the AGX is a better shock than the Illumina.

Keep this in mind too: If you see this comparison of the AGX and Illumina, then think about how poor the performance of the Tokico HP must be.

Comment

440/300# sleeves, Tokico Illuminas

The front springs are off a Civic... I think they may have gone a little soft. During long sweepers the car leans crazily. It's stiff enough for 8/10ths driving but way too soft for bonzai track maneuvers. It is very predictable though and definitely more fun than stock, and with these new tires I have to really drive like an ape to lose traction in any direction. I currently have NO finger gap in front with 205-55-16s and 1.5 finger gap in the rear.

I kind of want to upgrade to D2s or something with more bite.

Originally posted by lordoja
                        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Glory, are the wheels in that pic 16s? Look a little bigger than that.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                          Originally posted by Jarrett
                          Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

Originally posted by greencb7inkc View Post
                            Glory, are the wheels in that pic 16s? Look a little bigger than that.
                            Lol, everyone says that. They are RSX (Type-Ss I think. They are 7" wide) wheels in 205-55-16 Goodyear RS-As. This is an old pic, the tires are actually bigger now. Debating getting the fake Type-Rs

Originally posted by lordoja
                            im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

It seems Koni has several presentations, but the database won't list them, so you have to randomly guess under the path:

http://www.koni-na.com/presentations/

example being:

http://www.koni-na.com/presentations/civic/

Comment

subscribed for more informations.

Comment

Working...
                                X