No announcement yet.

*Official Digital Camera Info Thread*

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the response aznkid .. and I understand what you're saying .. really, I do!

You and deckeda both make alotta sense .. and it's crystal clear .. I assure you ..

If I'm gonna spend nearly 300 or close to 400 with accessories .. on a P/S .. whuddya both think
    of something like this .. (I know eGay links aren't allowed, but this auction has ended)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-REBEL-300D...QQcmdZViewItem

The only bummer is the lens .. 18-55 ehhh .. I'd really like something along the lines of
    a 28-105 .. a lens of that nature would lend itself to a bit more creativity ..
    This paticular eBay seller has sure got some negative feedback .. but I see their stuff
    allll over eBay .. I even bought a video camera several years ago from someone that sold
    *refurbished* stuff .. works great to this day .. no issues whatsoever !

Besides .. I sometimes look at *refurbished* as .. something that's gone back to the manufacture,
    and is now free of any and all bugs .. lol .. I know I love my Sony video camera ..
    and it sure was a bargain at barely $200 bucks ...

Ok .. I dunno .. maybe a few more bucks .. and a DSLR is the key .. whuddya think ?

A Hui Hou !!!
    Tomi
    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 10-27-2006, 05:06 AM.

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda
      digital is still in it's infant stages .. They're really taking baby steps and asking us ..
      the guinea pigs .. to test everything for them .. then .. in 6 months
      they come out with another *hot* digital camera, and wait til we've satisfied them with what they built,
      only to build and incorporate something else in a newer model .. ug ..
      Since September 2001, (Yes, over 5 years ago), Canon has released FOUR different 1 series bodies (top of the line pro cameras).. (Yes, I know they released the N versions of the 1DsMKII and the 1DMKII but I don't count those as seperate bodies..woo hoo for bigger LCDs).

not to mention there are two 1 series bodies which means in the last FIVE years, they have released ONE replacement body per camera..

problem with you pakalolo is you're constantly comparing apples to oranges.. take a look at the high end stuff.. of course, for the regular consumer market (yes, the S3IS is considered consumer) they release and release and release.. my camera, the 1D. is over 5 years old but is still acceptable in today's standards...
      Last edited by aznkid.com; 10-27-2006, 10:30 AM.

www.aznkid.com

Comment

Ok lol .. Just when I agree that you're making sense, you lose me. How am I comparing apples to oranges?

In as much as me being concerned with *high end stuff* well, I assure you .. IF I indeed
        were looking to add a digital camera to my arsnel of already professional equipment,
        I may look at The Hasselblad H2D .. Then again it's only 22MP (they just released
        a new one with 39MP .. The sensor in the H2D is also a monster! And I quote ..
        "The Hasselblad H2D uses an optical format much larger than 35mm, with a large format,
        high quality 22 Megapixel CCD sensor measuring 37mm x 49mm
        ."

The link to the article .. http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_4188.html

At the moment, I dont see myself spending upwards of $40,000 for a new system .. lol
        Perhaps if J. Walter Thompson hired me on as their In-House Photographer .. welllll,
        I might consider something close to it .. but ehhh, ain't gonna happen .. lol!

I wish Pentax would come out with something digital .. for the 6X7 .. I heard somewhere
        that they were designing a back that would modify to the orginal camera's .. or
        something like that .. I really dont remember .. but, it would be pretty cool seeing as how
        I already own the system(s). However, it appears that they've come out with a digital system
        for the 645 format .. (which I owened at one time, and was very disappointed with)

But talk about *high end stuff* .. lmao!
        I dont mean to get into a pissing contest about what is better and so on and so forth ..
        I just want something that I'll be able to easily explore, learn, and create something new with.

I'm just sick of lugging around 75-100 lbs of gear, not to mention Bogen tripod, reflectors,
        and God knows what else .. just to hopefully see the right conditions on the right morning
        on the right day, of the right month .. etc.. etc ..

I believe I can go more *compact* and still retain (if not better in some cases)
        the level of image quality, while at the same time, not feeling like I'll be in traction
        after the session is done and over .. lol

I really dont think my 6X7 equipment will be replaced for my *people* photography
        however, nature and environmental images .. which I haven't done in yeeaaarrrs,
        will soon be done soley by digital .. I really miss subjects that .. well, are never late,
        and don't talk back .. hahaha ..

A Hui Hou !!!
        Tomi

Comment

Ok lol .. Just when I agree that you're making sense, you lose me. How am I comparing apples to oranges?

In as much as me being concerned with *high end stuff* well, I assure you .. IF I indeed
          were looking to add a digital camera to my arsnel of already professional equipment,
          I may look at The Hasselblad H2D .. Then again it's only 22MP (they just released
          a new one with 39MP .. The sensor in the H2D is also a monster! And I quote ..
          "The Hasselblad H2D uses an optical format much larger than 35mm, with a large format,
          high quality 22 Megapixel CCD sensor measuring 37mm x 49mm
          ."

The link to the article .. http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/news...tory_4188.html

At the moment, I dont see myself spending upwards of $40,000 for a new system .. lol
          Perhaps if J. Walter Thompson hired me on as their In-House Photographer .. welllll,
          I might consider something close to it .. but ehhh, ain't gonna happen .. lol!

I wish Pentax would come out with something digital .. for the 6X7 .. I heard somewhere
          that they were designing a back that would modify to the orginal camera's .. or
          something like that .. I really dont remember .. but, it would be pretty cool seeing as how
          I already own the system(s). However, it appears that they've come out with a digital system
          for the 645 format .. (which I owened at one time, and was very disappointed with)

But talk about *high end stuff* .. lmao!
          I dont mean to get into a pissing contest about what is better and so on and so forth ..
          I just want something that I'll be able to easily explore, learn, and create something new with.

I'm just sick of lugging around 75-100 lbs of gear, not to mention Bogen tripod, reflectors,
          and God knows what else .. just to hopefully see the right conditions on the right morning
          on the right day, of the right month .. etc.. etc ..

I believe I can go more *compact* and still retain (if not better in some cases)
          the level of image quality, while at the same time, not feeling like I'll be in traction
          after the session is done and over .. lol

I really dont think my 6X7 equipment will be replaced for my *people* photography
          however, nature and environmental images .. which I haven't done in yeeaaarrrs,
          will soon be done soley by digital .. I really miss subjects that .. well, are never late,
          and don't talk back .. hahaha ..

A Hui Hou !!!
          Tomi
          Even tho i know shit about this subject i can see what your going for. I wish i had some advice to give you on cameras tomi!

That Hassleblad setup is 40k???

Comment

just hold off for a Dslr cause thats where your gonna end up I guarantee it if you are what you sound like a professional shooting medium format,etc, a high end P/S wont cut it.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
            "the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
            "Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland

Comment

Hahaaa, no problem Ralphie .. thanks man! You should look me up when you get back
              down here to Floriduh ... I'll buy ya a brewski .. just for the thought dude ..
              Ya .. almost 40 grand for the new 39MP version .. what with a lens and other accessories ...
              Could you imagine what a 2GB card would go for .. for that system?

I suppose I could sell all my 6X7 equipment .. lose some of my important clients,
              and errrr, buy a 1DMKII, or use it as a down-payment on a Hassie H2D .. then again ..
              how would I pay for my DC Header and downpipe .. ?

And Starch .. ya .. I'm kina leaning in that direction right now ...

Thanks Guyz !!!
              Tomi
              Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 10-27-2006, 04:35 PM.

Comment

Kevin ... talk with me about *shutter actuation* .. should I be concerned or .. not?
                You've owned your Canon for five years you say .. what's your actuation count like?

I've owned one of my Pentax 6X7's for well over 15 years now .. and well, can you say ..
                Enegizer Bunnie ???

Boom Boom, Boom Boom !!!
                Tomi

Comment

Hahaaa, no problem Ralphie .. thanks man! You should look me up when you get back
                  down here to Floriduh ... I'll buy ya a brewski .. just for the thought dude ..

Thanks Guyz !!!
                  Tomi
                  Actually you are one of the few people that i was hoping to meet one day. From what ive read, all your posts are just str8 up honest and your never mean or nasty to anyone on here. You seem to have a lot of wisdom concerning everyday obstacles to CB7's and of course photography and overall you just seem pretty cool. So yea man if we dont meet at a meet lol when i move back to fl i will deff drive up there with my girl and have a beer with you man!!

Comment

Right on Ralphie ... thanks man .. wow .. that means alot to me ... and yeah ..
                    there's too much aggression and anger in this world as it is today .. to get upset
                    or even be dismayed by anything that someone says on any forum .. afterall ..
                    we're all here to try and help a buddy out .. right?

Sure, some people take advantage of other folks by not sending stuff they paid for
                    or even rag on someone's thread with a one liner or a sorry ass term in regards to
                    just how they feel about what they just read or, for that matter heard .. ehhh..
                    I always say .. *Karma* .. heheheh .. what goes around always comes around ..
                    That much I have learned in life .. if nothing else I assure you ..

So errr .. Barkeep !! Two brewski's .. one for my CB7 buddy .. and another for
                    the beautiful lady ... and uhh, make mine an Iced Tea .. I'ma light-weight

Thanks again for your very kind words .. I look foward to a great time with you ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                    Tomi

Comment

Right on Ralphie ... thanks man .. wow .. that means alot to me ... and yeah ..
                      there's too much aggression and anger in this world as it is today .. to get upset
                      or even be dismayed by anything that someone says on any forum .. afterall ..
                      we're all here to try and help a buddy out .. right?

Sure, some people take advantage of other folks by not sending stuff they paid for
                      or even rag on someone's thread with a one liner or a sorry ass term in regards to
                      just how they feel about what they just read or, for that matter heard .. ehhh..
                      I always say .. *Karma* .. heheheh .. what goes around always comes around ..
                      That much I have learned in life .. if nothing else I assure you ..

So errr .. Barkeep !! Two brewski's .. one for my CB7 buddy .. and another for
                      the beautiful lady ... and uhh, make mine an Iced Tea .. I'ma light-weight

Thanks again for your very kind words .. I look foward to a great time with you ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                      Tomi

Exactly dude!! Yea man i just feel life can be too short to make enemies, especially on a internet forum where the whole point is to come together to trade ideas and info so the group as a whole is stronger. Just dont have the patience for that, and i guess im kind of a laid back guy.

But yea ill be home from the 23rd to 29th in DEC for the holidays and then back here to ga but i get out of the military OCT 07 so from there on out its Fla for me baby! lol

So well deff meet up, you got my word dude!!

Comment

Wowww, imagine that .. Stan Malinowski's very own Canon 20D on eBay ... hurry ...
                        it's going faaasst .. lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EOS-20D-BO...QQcmdZViewItem

If you read the page .. he says he bought a new 5D .. but he had to sell a sculpture
                        that he owned for 25 years just to pay for it .. lmfao!

Kewl guy .. you've seen his work everywhere .. you prolly just dont know the name ..
                        If I'm not mistaken .. I believe he shot one of the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit issues ..

EDIT: when I vewied this aution about a half hour ago .. it was at $605.00 .. lets see what happens .. hehehh
                        Ok Ok .. back to my *homework* .. sigh ..

A Hui Hou !!!
                        Tomi
                        Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 10-27-2006, 07:36 PM.

Comment

The only bummer is the lens .. 18-55 ehhh .. I'd really like something along the lines of a 28-105 .. a lens of that nature would lend itself to a bit more creativity ..
                          Well, here's the deal with most dSLRs: Remember the image sensor size I talked about earlier, as being larger than those used in point-and-shoots? In most dSLRs, the image sensor is still smaller than a film SLR's 35x24mm rectangle. Why? Cost.

The top dog Canons mentioned by aznkid.com have a "full size" sensor. I haven't kept up the market in the last year but most of the rest still have a smaller sensor. Most Canon dSLRs have what's referred to as a "lens factor" of 1.6. Most, if not all Nikon dSLRs and others have a 1.5 "lens factor".

The upshot of all this is that for a given lens on a dSLR, you multiply the focal length by the "lens factor" to arrive at what the focal length would be if used on a film SLR. Assuming that you're used to the focal lengths of 35mm film cameras.

So that 18-55mm kit lens usually sold with the Rebel like in that eBay auction? It gives a focal range equivalent to a 28.8-88mm if it could be used on a film SLR. [18x1.6=28.8 and 55x1.6=88] (That one won't mount on the film cameras actually; Canon has EF lenses that mount on any Canon and some that mount only on dSLRs.) So when on the DigiReb, it "looks" as if you're using a 28.8-88 lens on a film camera even though it's really a 18-55mm lens.

Now, what can't be compensated for of course are the other factors dictated by focal length, such as perspective and depth of field. So in other words, while a film SLR's "standard" lens is about a 50mm, a "standard" lens on a Canon dSLR would have to be about a 30mm lens. [50 divided by 1.6=31.25] So, a 30mm lens on the DigiReb won't look like a wide angle, but will act like on with respect to perspective and increased depth of field, etc.

Clear as mud?
                          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
                            Well, here's the deal with most dSLRs: Remember the image sensor size I talked about earlier, as being larger than those used in point-and-shoots? In most dSLRs, the image sensor is still smaller than a film SLR's 35x24mm rectangle. Why? Cost.

The top dog Canons mentioned by aznkid.com have a "full size" sensor. I haven't kept up the market in the last year but most of the rest still have a smaller sensor. Most Canon dSLRs have what's referred to as a "lens factor" of 1.6. Most, if not all Nikon dSLRs and others have a 1.5 "lens factor".

The upshot of all this is that for a given lens on a dSLR, you multiply the focal length by the "lens factor" to arrive at what the focal length would be if used on a film SLR. Assuming that you're used to the focal lengths of 35mm film cameras.

So that 18-55mm kit lens usually sold with the Rebel like in that eBay auction? It gives a focal range equivalent to a 28.8-88mm if it could be used on a film SLR. [18x1.6=28.8 and 55x1.6=88] (That one won't mount on the film cameras actually; Canon has EF lenses that mount on any Canon and some that mount only on dSLRs.) So when on the DigiReb, it "looks" as if you're using a 28.8-88 lens on a film camera even though it's really a 18-55mm lens.

Now, what can't be compensated for of course are the other factors dictated by focal length, such as perspective and depth of field. So in other words, while a film SLR's "standard" lens is about a 50mm, a "standard" lens on a Canon dSLR would have to be about a 30mm lens. [50 divided by 1.6=31.25] So, a 30mm lens on the DigiReb won't look like a wide angle, but will act like on with respect to perspective and increased depth of field, etc.

Clear as mud?
                            great point! this is also part of the reason i was pissed cuz getting a true fisheye for a rebel xt is damn near imosssible because the focal length need be so short...

"Tucking tires and wires."
                            The Chronicles.

Comment

deckeda .. yep .. clear as mud .. lol

I know thats how the Canon's work .. and yes, I understand why .. but I would like
                              something a bit longer then 88mm or .. well ... in this case .. ahem .. 55 ..
                              I was looking at this earlier ..
                              http://cgi.ebay.com/CANON-EF-28-105m...QQcmdZViewItem

Maybe thinking about a body first, then adding a lens .. I dunno yet .. but that lens
                              works out to something like 45-168 in 35mm ..
                              I just remember buyng 35mm Nikon's and practically giving away the *normal* lens ..ug
                              And sure enough .. I go to eBay and search 18-55 lol, and there's a ton of um .. cheap!
                              I notice also that most of these lenses are slow .. then again .. most all zooms are.

We'll see .. I still gots my training wheels on, and my head buried in links .. heheh
                              I'm kina looking at the Canon XT .. reasonable, good entry level, and any lens should work
                              with any upgrade, should I decide to do that .. I cant stand normal lenses .. lol!
                              Matter a fact, I dont even own one for any of my Pentax 67's .. I think normal for 6x7 is
                              somewhere in the 90-105 range .. and I jump from the 75mm shift lens, to the 135 macro.
                              Which is an unreal portrait lens in itself! And I know what J-spec's saying too .. heheh
                              I have the fisheye for the 6x7, and it's a 35mm .. has 3 built in filters that rotate.
                              Some of the bigger EF lenses are as much, if not more then some of my 67 lenses .. lol!

Okie .. its bed time, I've studied long enough for one day!

Thanks for the info's
                              Tomi

Comment

Welp .. after days of research, finding more forums then I could ever imagine exsisted,
                                and reading review after review about the three camera's I thought would benefit me most ..
                                My buddy just bought his wife the new Rebel XTi .. and wants to sell me their Rebel XT.
                                It'll come with everything they got with it, including the warrantee that was never sent in.
                                All I have to do is go out and get a card and a reader .. he wants $500 for it!

The one that I had my eyes on, was the D60 .. pretty awesome camera .. I thought ..
                                But, how do I pass up an offer that my buddy made me? Besides .. I even used his camera
                                on the day of his wedding and remember really liking it .. alot! It's flawless too ..
                                Like brand new .. and I dont think his wife has used it much since the day they got married.

Hmmmmmmm ...
                                Tomi

Comment

Working...
                                X