'Function and Form' question...???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
    lol, I find it funny what people think a high spring rate is...

My buddy had a 90 coupe with these on them. Sure, you can slam your car. But, when they were set at a functional height, they perform very well. Are they GREAT coilovers? Nope. They are just pretty good. If you want great coilovers, then you better be prepared to shovel out a couple grand. Real tuneability for the track is not cheap.
    I mean what spring rate are you running..?
    Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
      I mean what spring rate are you running..?
      Well, that all depends on the car and the style of the build.

I used to own a Lexus SC300 that was slammed on Stance Coils (the idea for this build was to see how low I could go and still drive it; subframe was about 1/2" off the ground). 35kg fronts and 20kg rears. Not as stiff as the RX7 I had with 20kg fronts and 16kg rears (cheapy no name coils; purchase because of leaky struts and they were $200 on CL). It truly has more to do with how the strut/shock is valved to handle the spring. My mom liked riding around in the Lexus, said it was very comfortable for how stupid low it was.

My accord, well that's not around anymore. But, I had a custom spring made for GC sleeves that was around 15kg front and 12kg rear. I had the Konis revalved for the higher spring rate. Oof. That car could handle on the track.(were the springs stiff? yes. Was the ride stiff? no. Did the car handle like a racecar? yeah it did.)

Comment

Originally posted by oni_cb7 View Post
        Well, that all depends on the car and the style of the build.

I used to own a Lexus SC300 that was slammed on Stance Coils (the idea for this build was to see how low I could go and still drive it; subframe was about 1/2" off the ground). 35kg fronts and 20kg rears. Not as stiff as the RX7 I had with 20kg fronts and 16kg rears (cheapy no name coils; purchase because of leaky struts and they were $200 on CL). It truly has more to do with how the strut/shock is valved to handle the spring. My mom liked riding around in the Lexus, said it was very comfortable for how stupid low it was.

My accord, well that's not around anymore. But, I had a custom spring made for GC sleeves that was around 15kg front and 12kg rear. I had the Konis revalved for the higher spring rate. Oof. That car could handle on the track.(were the springs stiff? yes. Was the ride stiff? no. Did the car handle like a racecar? yeah it did.)

Wow, that spring rate on the Lexus is pretty serious. But, hearing that you said your Mother enjoyed the ride sounds like it was pretty comfortable? I guess the F&F coilovers aren't extremely stiff then!
        Keep Pushing..

Comment

The ride quality can be decent with stiff springs if the shocks are valved appropriately for them. It can still be rather harsh, but much MUCH better than a mismatch.

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
            Wow, that spring rate on the Lexus is pretty serious. But, hearing that you said your Mother enjoyed the ride sounds like it was pretty comfortable? I guess the F&F coilovers aren't extremely stiff then!
            The Lexus was comfortable because the struts were valved for the high spring rate and to be on the softer side. The high spring rate simply kept the car from slamming the subframe constantly.

As for F&F, it depends on the driver and what they want out of the car. When I rode on F&F, they felt a tad bit stiffer than tokico illumina/skunk2 springs on full stiffness. It was not harsh and certainly was comfortable (this also depends on how low you make them and your other modifications). It is not fun banging the upper control arm on the inner fender.

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            The ride quality can be decent with stiff springs if the shocks are valved appropriately for them. It can still be rather harsh, but much MUCH better than a mismatch.
            This is absolutely correct. Some people HATED riding around in my Lexus.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              To my knowledge, Function and Form Autolife (the full name of the company... something about 70% of their "fans" probably aren't even aware of) is not a legitimate suspension company. They do not engineer or manufacture their products. They merely outsource design and production to a third party, most likely in China or Taiwan, where such things can be made VERY cheaply. Even in the best situations, such low-overhead options can result in incredibly inconsistent results. One person's experience may not be another's. Manufacturing processes, machinery, materials, and quality control may cause there to be significant differences between one batch and the next.

How they ride is largely determined by the selected ride height and spring rate. It is also determined by which model is selected (as they offer more than one.) Additionally, such a thing is fully subjective... a matter of opinion. Some people may think they're great, while others may think they're kidney-shattering.
              If you look around on this site, you'll see that over the last decade or so we've had dozens of members using their products. In their defense, I have heard very few complaints.

Regardless, considering your life is riding on your suspension, I would feel MUCH more comfortable buying a product that has been engineered and manufactured by a legitimate company with many years of experience behind them. Such brands are still producing products for the CB, though they are becoming fewer. You can buy quality coilovers from trustworthy companies such as H&R, Tein, and KW, for example. Koni shocks and Ground Control sleeves made specifically for them are also a valid option (and despite being separate pieces, they are every bit as good as "real" coilovers.)
              take notes forum partakers.... ask and non-sass ass responses should be replied.

ShiroiKinCB

Comment

i had them on my cb9 years ago. the f&f type 1 put 85k of thrashing on them and road fine. sold the car long ago.

but who know where the quality has gone since then
                back at it again

Comment

Working...
                X