Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

putting it in nutral when coming to a stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I always put the car in neutral when rolling to a stop sign or traffic light. Down shifting makes noise and added effort.

I'd rather pay for brakes parts than transmission parts. unless coasting in neutral hurts your tranny? well then i'm just ignorant, lol.
    Last edited by coletrain; 07-22-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 90Haccord View Post
      I've got an auto. I always throw it into Neutral to drop the RPMs when coming to a stop and it saves gas.
      ya it might save u gas but i wouldnt recommend it!
      i just had to rebuild my auto tranny and its a fortune to fix....
      so its better for ur transmission and ur wallet in the long run to not do that.
      check my sig for price and parts info
      STUFF FOR SALE!!!
      1992 Accord Lx.
      1992 Accord Ex.(SOLD)

Comment

just fix the brakes... if all you need are front pads its simple, you can do it yourself in about an hour tops if you need rotors thats a different story but still cheaper than a clutch job

Comment

If you have an automatic transmission, it is pointless to put the car in neutral when coasting. Same thing with a manual because the engine RPM will help slow down the car (with an engaged clutch) if you're that worried about your brakes. Downshifting correctly (should be almost seamless) combined with braking is the most efficient way of stopping the car. Your synchronizers wear very little when shifting is done correctly.

"The fault-finder will find faults even in paradise. Love your life, poor as it is. You may perhaps have some pleasant, thrilling, glorious hours, even in a poorhouse."-Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Originally posted by IAmTheNight View Post
            If you have an automatic transmission, it is pointless to put the car in neutral when coasting. Same thing with a manual because the engine RPM will help slow down the car (with an engaged clutch) if you're that worried about your brakes. Downshifting correctly (should be almost seamless) combined with braking is the most efficient way of stopping the car. Your synchronizers wear very little when shifting is done correctly.
            ok lol im not worried about my brakes i have new rotors the only thing im worried about is the tranny or waring out my mounts even more
            93 Honda Accord Lx
            Check it out A.O.M. 11/2014

Comment

Originally posted by Accord R33 View Post
              you should NEVER slow the car down with the transmission, thats what brakes were made for. the best way to do it would be to slow the car with the brakes, and rev match the downshift. you don't necessarily have to heel toe it, unless you were driving agressively. A simple throttle blip would work.

putting in neutral is fine, it means you are stopping with the brakes like you should be. Just be warned that you have more control of the car when its in gear, so if there were an emergency situation you would be much better off with the car in gear.
              in my manual to my accord it is recommended by honda to downshift to save on brakes....

Please, Leave me some feeedback on my ride ^CLICK ^CLICK ^CLICK
              Originally posted by deevergote.
              But Honda guys know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING! If you don't believe that, then you're just wrong...

Comment

Working...
              X