Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Gas Mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My temp gauge does not go up a lot. Its only about 20-30 degrees here. After 20mins of driving, it still doesn't go up far. I believe it is broken, would buying one from the junkyard be a good idea? thermostat i mean.

Stock 10th Anniversary Edition.

Comment

For the most part I think my car has a complete tune up.
      New plugs/wires/cap/rotors/t-stat/rad-cap/fuelfilter/K&N/pcv/ and a few other things. The best I EVER made was 430MPT. Normally I make about 370-380 pertank which isnt that good. Some where I lost alot of milage. I drive pretty bad too. Id suggest not having alot of extra wieght in the car and keeping good tires inflated.

Comment

saysana, I would replace the thermostat, it's only 10-15 dollars from honda, you can install it yourself.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
        where you been, is something wrong?
        i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

I don't know what you guys do to these cars of yours, but I usually get high 26 or better in my 5spd wagon (and I'm not exactly driving miss daisy) and I hate to say it, but I'm kinda lazy with maintenance. But a clean air filter makes a big difference. I used to be changing them every 10k miles or so(live on a dirt road) so an upgrade to a K+N filter helped a lot. That and I've noticed that fuel gauges show different in each of our cars. My wagon fuel light doesn't come on till the needle is almost past the E. I have a 90 LX 4dr that I've been driving for the past month, and It's light comes on at the line? WTF? And your tires being more than a 1/4 worn or a different size than stock(16" plus) can throw the speedo off. I recorded 33mpg once after 5 hours of 80+mph on the highway with the A/C on! its just not an exact science with out some sort of recording equipment
          1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

yeah i think my 215/45R17's are throwing off my trip meter a bit, oh well, i've come to realize that my car has 168K miles, and its from 1993. i did get 32 mpg once during the summer time w/ the AC on, so i feel happy about that. Just winter driving sucks, it has to warm up for a lot longer and by the time you get there, it's just barely warm enough to conserve fuel. Plus too many short trips and the drive thrus will eat you gas alive.

member's ride thread
            93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
            99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
            91 Accord SE 176k
            97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

oh yeah ac on auto and 300,000 miles.

Comment

State matters... CA gets a lot of crap additives in it's gas, which is bad, drops my average 3-5 mpg. I love it when I can make it in to Nevada to get a tank, my car runs so much better!

My f22 prelude got 28 on average, no matter how I drove, about 340 miles (if I let it go that low, which was rare).

I'm putting an H22 in it now, so I don't expect that much longer.
                1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy
                  But a clean air filter makes a big difference. I used to be changing them every 10k miles or so(live on a dirt road) so an upgrade to a K+N filter helped a lot.
                  Agreed, but in between changes it's a good idea to blow them clean(er) with compressed air. Just use a blower nozzle and thoroughly blow them from the clean side to dislodge any crap.

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy
                  I recorded 33mpg once after 5 hours of 80+mph on the highway with the A/C on! its just not an exact science with out some sort of recording equipment
                  Long hauls at a constant speed (even if that speed is on the faster end of what you're likely to ever sanely use) will always give the best economy because (relatively) it doesn't take a lot of energy to keep a car at legal hwy speeds. On the hwy your enemies are aerodynamic drag and rolling reistance, if you don't have to haul the weight up hills or have to constantly bring it back up to speed after slowing then the biggest enemy (mass) is largely taken out of the picture.

On flat open roads aerodynamic drag is the biggest enemy, but at legal speeds while significant it's still not a huge deal with a reasonably aerodynamic car. However, if you travel significantly faster than legal speeds the aerodynamic resistance becomes a much bigger problem very quickly because aero resistance increases with the cube of the speed, i.e. a relatively small velocity increase over a given highish speed can see aero drag increase exponentially, and thus economy take a big dive.

Having the air-con on means you can have the windows shut on a hot day, and this negates the aero drag caused by open windows, so with AC on and windows shut it's probably not much different than AC off and windows open, give or take.
                  Regards from Oz,
                  John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl
                    Hwy mileage is as reasonable benchmark as any other, so long as you are comparing apples to apples. If most of your driving is at hwy speeds then it's a better benchmark than city or 'average' economy.

Comparisons with statements like 'get 400 miles from a tank full' are pointless because the variables from one person's tank full to another person's are too great to make the comparison meaningful (even one person's different fill ups will be less than equal).

I thought my car was doing well to get 40 -42mpg on the hwy, now I'm sure there must be something very very wrong with it!
                    I see there's 90% of ppl where they get somewhere around 350 mi/tank, but when you get around 400, as I did before, you have to drive like a grandma, which is no fun
                    But avg is still better than max or min because, max & min can throw off the median of the bellshapedcurve.

Originally posted by zack_odom
                    Yummmmm. I'm going to go eat some Buddy Club sauce with my Mugen Spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by i<3mycb7coupe
                      I see there's 90% of ppl where they get somewhere around 350 mi/tank, but when you get around 400, as I did before, you have to drive like a grandma, which is no fun
                      But avg is still better than max or min because, max & min can throw off the median of the bellshapedcurve.
                      I said "I thought my car was doing well to get 40 -42mpg on the hwy, now I'm sure there must be something very very wrong with it!", because you said you were getting 350 to 400mpg, not mpt. I know it was just a typo on your part, it was a small attempt at humour (at your expense) on my part!

If we discount driving habits (i.e. leadfoot vs granny), which we can't really, but lets pretend we can; The problem is that one person's average driving conditions won't be the same as anothers. My average includes a lot of country driving and relatively little town driving, so my average will be better than most, my bellcurve probably looks a lot different to yours, and would even if our cars were utterly identical.

IMO the best benchmark between two similar vehicles is hwy driving at legal speeds because there are less variables.
                      Regards from Oz,
                      John.

Comment

It could be my injectors? would that cause a rough start. I always thought it was the MFR but it could be the injectors

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior
                          My LX couldn't get better than 26 mpg highway, but my Mom's EX gets anywhere from 26-34 mpg around town.

It's weird.
                          its cause she has the factory headers and dual tip muffler
                          back to do it again... no flipping of accords this time!!!

Hit me up with techy questions if i don't have an answer i can get an answer...

Comment

i deliver pizzas in my f22a6 ex coupe manual and i don't drive slow i bring it to about 3000 in 1,2, and about 2000-2500 in 3,4 i get at least 26-28 in the city and over 33 driving 80-90 mph on the highway i have 214,000 miles
                            ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

I think the most I got to a tank was like 425 miles . Im missing that right now, I have a 89 4x4 4runner and the most I have got on it is 230 miles on a tank. It also has 240,000 miles on it.

Formerly know as accord-racing Jan 06 - Dec 07
                              BOUGHT FROM: cb95spd, lildeez07, L3G10N, JARHEAD293, True-BlueCB7, Boost_Lee, djcaz_aom, zmiennik
                              SOLD TO: treyd82, Sneakerhead28, BoxMan, civic_90_08, greenmachine9, baracuda, zmiennik

Comment

I see no one's replied to this thread in 10 years, so why not add a little something?

I recently did a LOT of work to my car to bring it back up to snuff, e.g. new cylinder head, motor mounts, air filter, spark plugs, full exhaust..the list goes on. I didn't accurately track my first couple tanks worth of gas, but I only had to fudge on maybe 20 miles on the trip meter. By my math I got 26.5 mpg. Not bad at all, but I made sure to reset my meter on my last fill up. Hoping to get 27 or better.

This is on a '91 LX AT with crap tires and 383k on the suspension.
                                My '91 LX build. Bought September 2017. Sold June 2020.
                                http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...r /> t=209871
                                Current mileage: 399450 5/18/2020

My '92 LX build. Bought Novemeber 2019. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3293791
                                Current mileage: 422679 11/21/19

Comment

Working...
                                X