Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

INT: 98 Accord maplight/sunglasses case install (DX/LX only)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: 98 Accord maplight/sunglasses case install (DX/LX only)

Hello forum. This is my first DIY so if there is lack of info, please bare with me, and of course, PM me.
    Now like always, I am not responsible for any damages done to your beloved CB. DO AT YOUR OWN RISK...
    So there was no DIY on this particular maplight and I like it so much due to its sunglasses case. So here we go...
    I forgot to mention. This couldnt have been possible without the help of Darkcloud... He provided the MAPLIGHT!!! THANKS BRO!!!

Things used..

Cereal box
    Gorrilla glue/silicone
    Dremmel or knife
    Scrap metal strips
    Self tapping screws
    Wire
    Shrink wrap
    Sauder Iron and sauder

So first off you need the template. You can use whatever you want to make it, I used a cereal box. Once that is done fit it on the headliner.

Once thats done, trace it.

Then... Get the cuttin...
    This is what you should have after you trim to desired spec.

Now the bracket you see, is obviously not there. Go out to Home Depot or whatever and buy some flexible metal strips. You need to manufacture your own backet. Once done find a way to fit it right to the wholes on the light fixtures and tap them. Then find a way to get it to stay up. You welders shouldnt have a problem with that. I just used another piece of metal(circled) and wedged it in the roof itself. Those circles indicate where you can attach it. The edge is too shallow for bolts or screws but try if you want.

Now the maplight itself is kind of bulky. It has this black pocket that hits the roof. If you dont mind the gap, just leave it on. I took it off, now if youre not sure what im referring to, its outlined in cyan. The red is where I used the dremmel, everything else is just glued.
    This is what you should have...

The circled, are tabs that must stay on. They will help keep the maplight up and in place. Now when I saw the end result, I decided to make some "insulation", with the heat and all. So I used some tool box drawer liner for that. I used Gorilla glue to stick it on and silicone to seal it right.

The back can be left alone or glued to the back of the maplight.
    The wiring is easy. Two wires. I didnt want to make mine turn on with the doors open. Kinda defeats the purpose of maplight. But to each its own. Now put everything back together, stand back and enjoy how great this looks!!! This instal wasnt hard at all. It was very fun!!

Last edited by konig52r; 08-15-2010, 03:31 AM.
    The past, is history:The future, is a mystery:The present, is a gift.
    James 4:7
    Submit yourself to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

i love thisfeature in the 6th gen accords ^__^. im sure the sunroof would interfeer with the install of this in our 4th gens. none the less awesome !!!
    frostwhite225@gmail.com =VENMO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOB38zJu66o

[COLOR="Magenta"]

Comment

Sick

Sadly for EX and SE owners this mod can't be done due to the sun roof
      NEW CB

old Darkcloud : 1990 Accord EX MRT

new
      DARKCLOUD : 90 ACCORD EX MRT

Comment

Originally posted by xkjnboix View Post
        i love thisfeature in the 6th gen accords ^__^. im sure the sunroof would interfeer with the install of this in our 4th gens. none the less awesome !!!
        Originally posted by Darkcloud View Post
        Sick

Sadly for EX and SE owners this mod can't be done due to the sun roof
        Yes unfortunately... Now I know where I messed up!!! I didnt mean to put sedan only! I meant to put NON SUNROOF ONLY... lol...

Comment

Awesome DIY!!! always wondered if one of there would fit

Originally posted by slammed4thgen
          be risky, be smart, and most of all be creative!

Comment

Cool! Finally someone did this. I was tempted to but didnt want to purchase one and find out it was to big for the roof end.

I still might try this.

BTW dont see why it wouldnt fit a coupe...

Comment

DAMN!!! just today I put a regular map light on my lx!!!!!
              but this thing is awesome!!! I might have to hit the junkyard to get this maplight/sunglasses holder.

JENNA 91 LX

RIP 12-11-09 - 12/06/10
              JANE 99 Infiniti i30
              2-9-11 - current
              "Life is simple, you make choices and you don't look back."

Comment

Originally posted by konig52r View Post
                Yes unfortunately... Now I know where I messed up!!! I didnt mean to put sedan only! I meant to put NON SUNROOF ONLY... lol...
                Fixed it for you.
                Looks great

1999 BMW M3
                2001 Honda CR-V SE RT4WD
                2005 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71
                2015 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Comment

Originally posted by excalibur02 View Post
                  Cool! Finally someone did this. I was tempted to but didnt want to purchase one and find out it was to big for the roof end.

I still might try this.

BTW dont see why it wouldnt fit a coupe...
                  I asked you once on your thread... loll. I went ahead and did it cause you said you weren't sure.. O yea. I made a mistake the title

Originally posted by JoshM View Post
                  Fixed it for you.
                  Looks great
                  Thanks a lot bro. I really appreciate it!

Comment

I like this mod. I might do this....
                    I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                    Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                    My coupe!!!
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                    Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

wow ....looks really clean. This will be one of my future mod.
                      Checkout my MR: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165984

Comment

lovely! good work, but i just can't get the cajones to tear a hole into my headliner like that. props to you sir.
                        1cor10:31
                        - 92 LX coupe
                        - 96 EX wagon (sold)

Comment

Originally posted by timmy0tool View Post
                          lovely! good work, but i just can't get the cajones to tear a hole into my headliner like that. props to you sir.
                          Thank you ... its no biggy bro. Once you make a stencil its smoooooth sailing... lol..

Comment

After cutting the sunglasses box, does it still allow a normal pair of glasses to be stored there or is the pocket too small?

The pics look like there's still a small gap between the console lip and headliner along the rear of the console (around glasses pocket), is it hitting the roof or can spacers be put under the console tabs to eliminate this?
                            My Member's Ride Thread

Bisimoto header before & after dyno

1993 10th Anniversary: F22a6, H23IM, Bisimoto header, Custom mandrel exhaust, 5spd swap.

Comment

glad to see people using other maplights other than the 94/95 one

93 Accord LX Sedan (sold)
                              01 Civic LX Sedan (sold)-93 Accord EX Wagon (totaled)
                              93 Accord SE Sedan (sold)-92 Accord EX Sedan (sold)
                              93 Accord SE Coupe (sold)-97 Accord SiR Wagon (sold)

95 Accord LX Wagon (CURRENT)-05 Impreza WRX Sedan (CURRENT)-02 Ram 1500 (CURRENT)-20 VW Jetta (CURRENT)

Comment

Working...
                              X