H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H311RA151N : 1986 Ford F-250 XL

Wanted another 4x4 on the hunch that this winter is going to be rough. Found this beast for the right price so I bought it.

460 Big Block Making 235hp & 380ftlb

-Ford 460 D9TE-AB Engine 235hp/380ftlbs.
    -Carter 9755S 750cfm Carburetor. -So long POS!
    -Borg Warner T19 4 Speed Manual Transmission.
    -Borg Warner 13-45 Transfer Case.
    -Dana 44 IRS Front Axle 3:54.
    -Sterling 10.25 Rear End 3:55.

ENGINE:

Edelbrock 1407 750cfm 4 Barrel Manual Choke
    Edelbrock 10" Black Air Cleaner
    Comp Cams Magnum Double Roller Timing Set
    Ignition Timing 8* Advanced
    EGR System Deleted
    Rotella T6 5w40 Motor Oil
    Autolite Platinum AP25 Spark Plugs
    Fel Pro Rubber Style Valve Cover Gaskets

TRANSMISSION:

Valvoline 80W90 Durablend Gear Oil

INTERIOR:

Trailer Brake Package
    Autometer 5" Monster Tach With External Shift Light

EXTERIOR:

Gooseneck Hitch

--FUTURE PLANS--

ENGINE:

Ford 460 Cubic Inch D9TE-AB

Edelbrock 1407 750cfm Manual Choke Carburetor -Done
    Edelbrock 10" Air Cleaner -Done
    Fel Pro Rubber Valve Cover Gaskets -Done
    Gates Water Pump -Not Yet Installed
    Fel Pro Water Pump Gasket -Not Yet Installed
    SKF Front Crank Seal
    Spectra Heater Core
    Standard Water Temp Sender

TRANSMISSION:

Borg Warner T19 Four Speed Manual Granny Low

Novak Adapt T19 Rebuild Kit
    Valvoline/High Performance Gear Oil SAE 80W-90 (4 Quarts) -Done
    LUK 12" Upgrade Clutch Kit
    Sachs 12" Upgrade Flywheel

TRANSFER CASE:

Borg Warner 13-45

Transparts Warehouse BW1345 Rebuild Kit
    Castrol Type F ATF (4 Quarts)

FRONT AXLE:

Dana 44 IRS 3:54 Gears

Valvoline Gear Oil 80w-90 (2 Quarts) -Done

REAR AXLE:

Sterling 10.25 3:55 Gears

Fel Pro Rear Diff Gasket -Done
    Permatex Ultra Black RTV -Done
    Valvoline Full Synthetic Gear Oil SAE 75W-140 (4 Quarts) -Done
    Last edited by H311RA151N; 04-05-2016, 11:02 PM.

I am sure that will be a great investment in the coming months. I would love to have a 4x4 but I got access to a FWD Corolla for a winter car (and daily at the moment). Is it running relatively issue free now or is there some stuff you have to do before winter?
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Comment

I live in the Ozark hills. Basically all the roads are narrow, winding and either up hill or down hill. Last year we received 10"-13" of snow in 3 days. My CB at stock height with studded snow tires was useless. I wasn't going to do that again this year. Up until last year my CB has been really good in the snow. Just after about 8" it gets tough.

It doesn't need much. But what "has" to be done before winter is the entire future plans list... It's leaking out of everything it has, both differentials, oil pan valve covers, crank seals, transfer case, transmission, power steering pump. They are not "leaking" just seeping and wet. But still. I cannot have that. I'm OCD about some shit.

I hope to have it done in the next 6 weeks. Also not listed is the brake work I have to do on it as well. Cost is just under $1900 for the entire future plans with the brakes included.

Next year all that will be left is the suspension and I will rebuild the engine. Same heads just ported which can add 30-50hp to the D3VE heads it has. I will go all out when I rebuild it. Better rods, forged pistons, good rv cam and so on.

I want 300hp and 500ftlb out of it and I will be content. Which isn't hard at all to get.

I put the truck on the scales today and it weighed in at 6100lbs.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014, 08:22 PM.

Comment

I put the truck on the scales today and it weighed in at 6100lbs. WOW
        " Insert funny quote here "

Comment

Originally posted by spiderpig View Post
          I put the truck on the scales today and it weighed in at 6100lbs. WOW
          Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's close with the both tanks full and the gooseneck hitch. I was surprised as well.

Thing will get up and move too for weighing over 6000lbs. In 4th gear, which is the highest gear you got, you can lay on it at 45mph and before you know it your running 75mph.

Comment

First thing you have to do when you buy an older truck is find out what you are working with.

Rear Axle. This tag means it's a Sterling 10.25 with 3.55s and has a non-locking differential.

Rear axle again. See the seepage.

The Transfer Case. Borg Warner then 13-45 and some other numbers. 13-45 is the type. It's chain drive.

Once again, see the seepage.

Transmission. It has a tag but I didn't need it. I know this is a Borg Warner T19. You can see it's leaking a bit. Way to much for my liking.

Front differential. Had to pull the tag off and clean it to be sure. It's a Dana 44 IRS with 3.54s. A tad bit lower so the front pulls just a bit faster than the rear. I guess it keeps the truck going straighter when in 4x4.

Engine block code. Leaking way to much oil. Passenger side valve cover gasket is gone.

Last edited by H311RA151N; 12-11-2014, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I have found out that my block (D9TE-AB) has lengthened cylinder walls. The cylinders were lengthened in the D9TE block because this block was revised to double as a big equipment truck block, and the dump truck rotating assemblies consisted of a very deep skirt piston that benefited from the extended cylinder walls for support.

I know the D9TE has a different rotating assembly than C8VE-A, C9VE-A, D0VE-A, D1VE engine and is externally balanced. I'm currently looking to what is the same. As I search on Summit not many parts come up for the 460 once I add that it's an '86 from an F-250...

Comment

Is that all original equipment? Isn't the 460 from the F350? Also the carb kits for those can be a pain. Good 4x4 Ozark rig though.

You should get the crank and rotating assembly from a dump truck and stroke her. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
                  Is that all original equipment? Isn't the 460 from the F350? Also the carb kits for those can be a pain. Good 4x4 Ozark rig though.

You should get the crank and rotating assembly from a dump truck and stroke her. :-)
                  You are partly correct. The 460 only came out in the F350 and the F250HD.

It's all O.E! It has the all the best things they used in the 7th generation F series. All except for the front axle. If I were going to do more with the truck I would get a Dana 60 solid front axle from an 85+ F350.

Needless to say when I register it I will register it for 18,000lbs or 24,000lbs with beyond local tags. That way I don't have to have a rear tag and I can go where ever I want. Plus you don't have to wear seatbelts for 18,000lbs+.

Legally I have to as I know I will be pulling a trailer at least twice a year in excess of 11,000lbs by it's self.

Luckily my father is the mad scientist of carburetors. And the kit I'm going to use is supposed to be the best one out there. I will pull the carb off, take it to him and hopefully it pans out well. If not I will have to buy a new carb. But I'm pretty sure it will work out great.

I'm having a hard time finding information on the specifics of the D9TE block right now. I'm thinking about doing just what you said and running the rotating assembly from a dump truck. Hell, might as well since it's possible. Not that it's necessary but there isn't a such thing as to tough of an engine.

Comment

but there isn't a such thing as to tough of an engine. preach lol, nice truck I'm digging this mrt

Comment

but there isn't a such thing as to tough of an engine. preach lol, nice truck I'm digging this mrt
                      Thank you! There will be more progress in this MRT than my CB7 MRT, sadly. I just need this thing running tip top before winter.

Comment

I want this... $1200 is super cheap. That's about the cost of a full rebuild. Not bad for a stroker kit. 545 cubic inches? That could be fun.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/429-46...-Kit,5530.html

Comment

yeah speedway has great prices, our last winter here was horrible but I will have to make due with my CD5 and all season tires ......gulp

Comment

yeah speedway has great prices, our last winter here was horrible but I will have to make due with my CD5 and all season tires ......gulp
                            I have family near Wind Ridge PA. Their property almost extends into West Virginia. So I get the kinda winters you guys get there in PA. I wouldn't care for it too much honestly. But I love PA. And I love the Steelers. #99

Comment

I am also a Steelers fan, been since 1995, I live in warmer area of PA I live like 15 miles from Baltimore County Maryland , it is very hilly here and most non highway roads are twisty

Comment

Working...
                              X