CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Swaps

Old 09-15-2011, 10:46 PM   #1
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

youngflyndsaved is cool... so far.
h22a tune up specs

is there a thread dedicated to tune-up/general maintenance on h-series motors? like how they have beginner tech for the f motors. spark plug recommendations, spark plug gap etc.

i plan on changin out my plugs this weekend. so far the best recommended from my research is NGK's with 0.44 gap. any significant differences between V-Power and GP Platinum?
youngflyndsaved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 11:34 PM   #2
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher

dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngflyndsaved View Post
is there a thread dedicated to tune-up/general maintenance on h-series motors? like how they have beginner tech for the f motors. spark plug recommendations, spark plug gap etc.

i plan on changin out my plugs this weekend. so far the best recommended from my research is NGK's with 0.44 gap. any significant differences between V-Power and GP Platinum?
Just a comment on the plugs, go E3 and never look back. And E3's are pre gapped, and cant move.
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 01:48 AM   #3
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_ender View Post
Just a comment on the plugs, go E3 and never look back. And E3's are pre gapped, and cant move.
i've never heard of those plugs until u mentioned them to me. so i started to do some research on them and i read a lot of negative feedback about the prolonged performance of the e3's. and i don't know much about spark plugs but everything else i've read always recommended NGK or Denso so that's what i wanted to stick with.

this thread was one of the negatives: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=41612636

and i forgot to mention my engine is almost completely stock so i don't plan to run extreme performance plugs, just something reliable. but as far as high performance i've heard Brisk USA makes some of the best ones.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:05 PM   #4
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
FYI, H22s come stock with Platinum tipped plugs. So at the bare minimum I would go that. I went with the NGK Iridium IXs though...they give you a hotter spark and have an iridium center so they'll last you a really long time, I think 90k miles

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 292k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
89' Accord SEi
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 05:42 PM   #5
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher

dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
i've never heard of those plugs until u mentioned them to me. so i started to do some research on them and i read a lot of negative feedback about the prolonged performance of the e3's. and i don't know much about spark plugs but everything else i've read always recommended NGK or Denso so that's what i wanted to stick with.

this thread was one of the negatives: http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?p=41612636

and i forgot to mention my engine is almost completely stock so i don't plan to run extreme performance plugs, just something reliable. but as far as high performance i've heard Brisk USA makes some of the best ones.
I've never heard of negative feedback about E3's, but I'm sure there are some out there. In my experience, they are awesome, instant performance increase, and not TOO expensive, about $6 a plug. And the E3's arent "extreme performance" plugs, just a really good upgrade.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiracer2 View Post
FYI, H22s come stock with Platinum tipped plugs. So at the bare minimum I would go that. I went with the NGK Iridium IXs though...they give you a hotter spark and have an iridium center so they'll last you a really long time, I think 90k miles
definitely gettin NGK's this time. idk about Iridiums cuz they're 12 a plug but either GP or V-powers. when you say a hotter spark, does that mean the Iridiums give a hotter spark than the NGK GP's or V-powers? i've been reading and it says they all give about the same performance other than the longevity of the plugs. v-powers 6k (or somethin like that), iridiums 90k etc. and as the NGK's go up in price, the longer they last but they all have similar performance.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #7
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
I've never heard of negative feedback about E3's, but I'm sure there are some out there. In my experience, they are awesome, instant performance increase, and not TOO expensive, about $6 a plug. And the E3's arent "extreme performance" plugs, just a really good upgrade.
yeah there's always negative feedback about somethin. u can't please everybody so i guess it boils down to opinions or how hard u drive them. how long have u had urs last? and how often do u drive? how hard do u drive it?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:16 PM   #8
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher

Quote:
yeah there's always negative feedback about somethin. u can't please everybody so i guess it boils down to opinions or how hard u drive them. how long have u had urs last? and how often do u drive? how hard do u drive it?
Ive had mine for about 6 months? and I drive everyday, usually a lot per day. Lol and I drive my car pretty hard. I recently pulled the plugs when I did my valve adjustment, and they were fine. The only thing was cylinders 3 and 4 had a rust color on them, but I think that was due to using my cleaned and oiled filter too soon and sucking filter oil into the engine, and possibly because coolant was getting into the IM. That aside, the contacts were in perfect working order. And I still love them.
Old 09-16-2011, 06:42 PM   #9
Losiracer2
CB7tuner Member

Losiracer2 seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to Losiracer2
Quote:
definitely gettin NGK's this time. idk about Iridiums cuz they're 12 a plug but either GP or V-powers. when you say a hotter spark, does that mean the Iridiums give a hotter spark than the NGK GP's or V-powers? i've been reading and it says they all give about the same performance other than the longevity of the plugs. v-powers 6k (or somethin like that), iridiums 90k etc. and as the NGK's go up in price, the longer they last but they all have similar performance.
I paid 8 bucks a plug at Autozone, they weren't on sale either.

member's ride thread
93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
97' Lexus LS400 292k miles.....Luxury Cruiser DD
89' SEi Coupe 42k miles one owner museum find
89' Accord SEi
Losiracer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 12:12 AM   #10
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Ive had mine for about 6 months? and I drive everyday, usually a lot per day. Lol and I drive my car pretty hard. I recently pulled the plugs when I did my valve adjustment, and they were fine. The only thing was cylinders 3 and 4 had a rust color on them, but I think that was due to using my cleaned and oiled filter too soon and sucking filter oil into the engine, and possibly because coolant was getting into the IM. That aside, the contacts were in perfect working order. And I still love them.
ur engine is stock as well? and was it a noticable performance increase? i need to get in there and adjust my valves too.. i just haven't figured out where to get one those special valve adjusting tools. i may have to try out those e3's myself one day just to play with them.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:15 AM   #11
youngflyndsaved
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losiracer2 View Post
I paid 8 bucks a plug at Autozone, they weren't on sale either.
i ended up goin with the Iridium IX's after all . u were right i got mine for 6.99 a plug. came out to 30.24. the Double Platinums were the ones that were around 11 a plug.
Old 09-19-2011, 03:31 AM   #12
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher

Quote:
ur engine is stock as well? and was it a noticable performance increase? i need to get in there and adjust my valves too.. i just haven't figured out where to get one those special valve adjusting tools. i may have to try out those e3's myself one day just to play with them.
No it's not stock, basic bolt ons, and yes it was a very noticeable.

Tags
h22 , h22a , specs , tune-up , tuneup

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: