I need a normal newer car for a DD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
    The CelicaGT-S and Matrix XRS had the 2zz engine instead of the 1zz, difference is about 40HP more; the 2zz engine is also the one used by Lotus on their vehicle. I do know that all things equal my sister's Celica GT feels faster than my Corolla eventhough we have the same engine, maybe different transmission gearing or something but I know hers scoots.
    The Corolla XRS had the 2ZZ as well. There is a power difference between the Corolla and Matrix but reading about the Corolla XRS, it seems like a pretty interesting car.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      The Corolla XRS had the 2ZZ as well. There is a power difference between the Corolla and Matrix but reading about the Corolla XRS, it seems like a pretty interesting car.
      And an actual performance package unlike the S
      [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'll go ahead and vote for the FIT as well. I've owned a Vibe before and loved the comfort, but the head gasket was starting to crack around ~80K miles so we traded it in for the Fit as we wanted to go back to a Honda. Mine is an '09 with 160K miles and so far have had very few problems.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
          I'll go ahead and vote for the FIT as well. I've owned a Vibe before and loved the comfort, but the head gasket was starting to crack around ~80K miles so we traded it in for the Fit as we wanted to go back to a Honda. Mine is an '09 with 160K miles and so far have had very few problems.
          The only significant problem I ever had with my Fit was that the clutch would regularly drop hub springs. I was on my 4th clutch by the time I sold it. ALWAYS OEM parts, and all but the last time installed by Honda technicians. The first one went out at 188,000 miles. Plenty of friction material remaining on it, sadly. It just dropped a spring, which trashed the clutch and flywheel. It was about a $1200 repair to have done professionally (it's not terribly difficult to do, but I couldn't afford the downtime and potential for error of doing myself on my work car!)
          The clutch spring issues were likely related to my sustained 4,000 RPM daily highway drives. I'd drive up to 90 minutes at a time cruising at 80mph, which was right around 4,000 RPM. I'm fairly certain that is what killed my clutch numerous times. Probably what took out my AC compressor/clutch 3 times as well.

Comment

Mazda Protege has always been a good and reliable performer. They've always handled better than the competition and I'm sure they'll achieve similar fuel economy.

I think they look pretty sharp too (especially the Protege 5!)

14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

Originally posted by wed3k View Post
              es300, one of the best vehicles for driving. still simple like a camry yet it has all the luxuries of a lexus. i think the 98 that i drive right now will get high 20's on the highway and itll cruise 80 np.
              Go big or go home! LS430! It screams University Professor.
              '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
              If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I know a few people with LS400s that swear by them. I don't know if the LS430 is as solid, but the LS400 is pretty much indestructible if you take care of it, apparently! I've gotten a new appreciation for them after talking to a few owners.

Comment

All he needs is some nice wheels, some tint, a drop, and a custom front license plate that says "JAP SLAB". He'll be good to go.
                  '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
                  If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

I'd go with something like an impala or the likes from gm not everyone's taste nor that great of interior but doesn't scream racer boy or retired either just an average joe car Or an older k series crv.

Regardless of what it is at 2500ish you aren't gonna get everything and it be reliable to, I'd honestly suggest finding a salvage titled car you might get a newer but reasonably priced car, just check the structure aspects and ya won't go wrong.

02 Crv
                    02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                    92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.
                    Coming Soon Tein TSX coilovers.

Comment

What about a Taurus?

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                        What about a Taurus?
                        14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

There are only 3 Taurus models worth owning... and all 3 have the letters SHO on them (and a V6 under the hood).

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                            There are only 3 Taurus models worth owning... and all 3 have the letters SHO on them (and a V6 under the hood).
                            You don't like the 96+ 3.4v8 sho? Id own one such a sleeper.

02 Crv
                            02 silverado Ex cab Z71, 2011 TRD 17" wheels, 245/80/17, ls1 cam, AFE intake, 3" catback, tuned by Larry at LSXperformance&pcm tuning driven daily.
                            92 Acura Legend colbalt blue LS Coupe, custom intake, custom vibrant 2.5 cat back, led cluster and high beams, 2016 Coyote GT 18x8 wheels 235/40/18.

Comment

Everything I've read said that they were terrible cars. Those were likely some of Ford's worst years, too. They're not bad looking, and a V8 is appealing (though V8 powering the front wheels never did anything for me...) Automatic only, which is something I can only get behind when the power is respectable, and sent to all 4 wheels (as in the new SHO).
                              Granted, if I was looking for a daily that had some uniqueness to it, I can't say I wouldn't consider a V8 SHO if one fell into my lap!

Comment

Id have to agree but for 2-3k it's hard to complain if I was in the market for such a "granny performance" car ain't none of em easy to work on compared to Hondas during that time including the old Yamaha v6 it's a pain.

02 Crv

Comment

Working...
                                X