Jarrett : 2015 Ford F-150 King Ranch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jarrett : 2015 Ford F-150 King Ranch

I intended to do a members' ride for my truck way back when I bought it, but just never got around to it.

I did not buy this truck brand new! I bought it nearly new, but in now way did I pay what the original window sticker for this thing said. I found it at a Hyundai dealership in one of the towns in the DFW metroplex. I guess they'd had it for a couple of months and they had a killer price on it! It has LITERALLY every single option you could possibly select on the King Ranch 601A package with the lone exception of the extendable towing mirrors. That means it has heated/cooled/massaging seats, 360-degree camera, automatic parking, powered running boards, heavy duty towing package, FX4 off-road package (used to mean Rancho shocks but now only gets you flimsy skid plates) and so much more! I've never even driven a nicer vehicle, much less owned one (to be fair, the bank owns about half of it).

It's been bone stock for a while, but I'm getting ready to start with a few upgrades. I'm from Texas, and I'm white trash, so it will be getting a lift. But not excessive. Just a couple of inches up front, and possibly 1.5 in the back, just to clear larger tires.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

I drove through an old rice field after a rain with highway tires. Needless to say, traction was an issue and I flung mud onto every surface of this thing.

Parked it in front of my fiancee's parents' house to let the rain wash it off overnight. Surprisingly, the HOA didn't say anything.

I really like the wheels that came on the '04-'08 Roush F-150 as they are true chrome and not the PVD coating they're doing these days. The PVD flakes and chips off and looks horrible if you're standing closer than 15 feet to the truck. Otherwise, I wouldn't have spent the money upgrading wheels. Alas, I found a set for CHEAP here in Houston and picked them up. I'm going to buy tires soon, but the size I want is a somewhat obscure size, so I'm shopping around.

I have more pictures that we took back when the truck was purchased, but I don't have them uploaded yet. I'll do that this week.

Engine

Stock 3.5L EcoBoost

Suspension/Tires

Stock for now

Exterior

Stock

Interior

Stock with the exception of the dog hair

Last edited by Jarrett; 06-29-2018, 11:40 AM.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Nice truck, nice dogs and was wondering what obscure size you are looking for?
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I'm looking at 285/65/20 Terra Grapplers instead of 295/65/20. The latter is far more popular. I can no longer find them on Nitto's website unless it's under the Terra Grappler G2 moniker. I'm in no huge hurry as I'd honestly like to find another set of these wheels to replace one in this set that has a piece of chrome plating about to flake off. The only other ones on OfferUp around here have mismatched tires with them and they won't sell them without the tires. Trying to find an excuse to go to Dallas so I can buy a set that's up there.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

I believe the G2 (second generation)has replaced the original model, Nitto and Toyo are changing their line-up right now and thus are having sales on models they are trying to clear out. I had sort of a similar thing going on as i had bought some 20X9.5 wheels and felt the 275/55R20 were too big and 265/50R20 too narrow for the width of the wheel but both were cheaper than the 275/45R20 that i ended up choosing. Let me check around tomorrow and i might be able to find something out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
          I'm looking at 285/65/20 Terra Grapplers instead of 295/65/20. The latter is far more popular. I can no longer find them on Nitto's website unless it's under the Terra Grappler G2 moniker. I'm in no huge hurry as I'd honestly like to find another set of these wheels to replace one in this set that has a piece of chrome plating about to flake off. The only other ones on OfferUp around here have mismatched tires with them and they won't sell them without the tires. Trying to find an excuse to go to Dallas so I can buy a set that's up there.
          What's the downside of running a 295, rubbing or a diameter issue?

I dig the new F-150. My boss has a very basic XLT(?) with the Sport package he loves. We got an F-150 as a rental when the Jeep was in the shop (don't ask) and I drove it a bit. It's very comfortable, but it's just too big of a truck for me.

It's funny because it's a better performing truck than my Tacoma in terms of acceleration and yet gets better fuel economy, at least with the 2.7 EB.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
            Let me check around tomorrow and i might be able to find something out for you.
            Much appreciated. I may have a lead on another set of these wheels that already have some nearly new tires installed for $800 in DFW. If those are still available this weekend, I may go that route. But I'd like to see what's available either way.

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
            What's the downside of running a 295, rubbing or a diameter issue?
            Honestly, it's not an entirely well-reasoned...uh, reason. The factory tires are 275s and I'd prefer to keep the contact patch down as minimally as possible for highway driving. I also want to go for a more OEM+ look. I don't want the tires protruding from the wheel wells and slinging rocks and road debris all over the paint. The lift goals exemplify this as well. Just enough lift to maintain the current tire to wheel arch ratio with a tire that has a 1.4" taller radius.

The 295/65 is about .5" larger in diameter than the 285/65, so by sticking to the lower size it feels like I'm only going one notch above stock on the gas mileage and speedometer accuracy scales. 295/65 seems like that would be the second notch.

Again, not reasons that carry a lot of weight, but at least what I've tentatively decided on so far. Any reason I should do something different?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
              It's funny because it's a better performing truck than my Tacoma in terms of acceleration and yet gets better fuel economy, at least with the 2.7 EB.
              My father in law has a Tacoma too and we get into this all the time, my truck is bigger and has a bigger engine not to mention an extra 2 ft bed (8ft) but gas mileage is similar or better on my GMC. I went from a Ford to this truck and I do have to say that I miss the bottom end power from my F150 Vs the Turbo 4 Cyl powerband LS engines have.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                Much appreciated. I may have a lead on another set of these wheels that already have some nearly new tires installed for $800 in DFW. If those are still available this weekend, I may go that route. But I'd like to see what's available either way.

Honestly, it's not an entirely well-reasoned...uh, reason. The factory tires are 275s and I'd prefer to keep the contact patch down as minimally as possible for highway driving. I also want to go for a more OEM+ look. I don't want the tires protruding from the wheel wells and slinging rocks and road debris all over the paint. The lift goals exemplify this as well. Just enough lift to maintain the current tire to wheel arch ratio with a tire that has a 1.4" taller radius.

The 295/65 is about .5" larger in diameter than the 285/65, so by sticking to the lower size it feels like I'm only going one notch above stock on the gas mileage and speedometer accuracy scales. 295/65 seems like that would be the second notch.

Again, not reasons that carry a lot of weight, but at least what I've tentatively decided on so far. Any reason I should do something different?
                That's a pretty logical reason. For my truck it's 265/70-16 stock, a 265/75-16 fits a stock truck without much issue and then the 285/75 gets into the "big tire" look, at the expense of having to chop cab mounts, hammer pinch welds, etc if you don't get the offset of the wheel perfect. I went middle of the road, bigger than stock, but without the chance of headaches.

I didn't know if the 295 was similar for your truck in terms of needing to butcher the truck to make things fit. I've very much been a fan of the OEM+ look lately and have largely built my truck that way.

My father in law has a Tacoma too and we get into this all the time, my truck is bigger and has a bigger engine not to mention an extra 2 ft bed (8ft) but gas mileage is similar or better on my GMC. I went from a Ford to this truck and I do have to say that I miss the bottom end power from my F150 Vs the Turbo 4 Cyl powerband LS engines have.
                I fully grasp that fundamentally the full size is a better option, but I love the size of my truck as the full size is just too big for me. Plus, I've always loved Toyota pickups (this is #3 for me). Finally, you can no longer get a manual transmission with a full size, which is a bummer.

Comment

[QUOTEI fully grasp that fundamentally the full size is a better option, but I love the size of my truck as the full size is just too big for me. Plus, I've always loved Toyota pickups (this is #3 for me). Finally, you can no longer get a manual transmission with a full size, which is a bummer.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not the size difference is not that great driving wise, when I first bought my truck I did curb check my rear wheels twice on the way home because I didn't notice it was a long bed(yes i know ). I believe manual could be ordered on the 6 Cyl models but not v8 aside from the RCSB, but everything is going automatic now including big trucks; personally I try and avoid manual because I'm no fan of shifting in traffic but I know alot of people like stick.

Jarrett I hope you were able to find something if not I know two good and decent priced shops locally that could help you out. I personally shop in one and my dad uses the other because of proximity to the corresponding shop; one even offers a 3 month warranty on alignment which is unheard of.

Comment

[QUOTEI fully grasp that fundamentally the full size is a better option, but I love the size of my truck as the full size is just too big for me. Plus, I've always loved Toyota pickups (this is #3 for me). Finally, you can no longer get a manual transmission with a full size, which is a bummer.
                    Believe it or not the size difference is not that great driving wise, when I first bought my truck I did curb check my rear wheels twice on the way home because I didn't notice it was a long bed(yes i know ). I believe manual could be ordered on the 6 Cyl models but not v8 aside from the RCSB, but everything is going automatic now including big trucks; personally I try and avoid manual because I'm no fan of shifting in traffic but I know alot of people like stick.

Jarrett I hope you were able to find something if not I know two good and decent priced shops locally that could help you out. I personally shop in one and my dad uses the other because of proximity to the corresponding shop; one even offers a 3 month warranty on alignment which is unheard of.[/QUOTE]

My wife had a double cab F-150 as a rental a few months back and it was way too big for me when I drove it. I’m actually looking forward to the new Ranger, especially since the Raptor version is supposedly coming to the US

Comment

Turn the boost up...

Comment

Here are some more pictures that were taken right after I bought it. It includes some pretty douchey pictures of me parking on what amounts to small mounds of dirt, but I was excited to have the thing. Sue me.

Here is what I was referring to about the factory PVD "chrome-look" wheels. They are flaking off near the extremities.

Originally posted by kseriescivic View Post
                        Turn the boost up...

Perhaps. I think I'd want an intercooler before I cranked up the boost, though.

This is always an option.

Last edited by Jarrett; 07-03-2018, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X