Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Failed Smog-"Ignition timing"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Failed Smog-"Ignition timing"

"Ignition Timing: 99 BTDC"
    The transmission was replaced years back and I think they messed up the orientation some how. Any ideas? Do I need to pull the transmission?
    1992 LX Wagon

Why would you think the tranny has anything to do with ignition timing?

99 btdc has to be an error, you should have asked them to recheck everything.

Comment

I checked when I got home and the timing mark was way off. How could this be?
      Last edited by slloth; 04-03-2009, 09:36 PM.
      1992 LX Wagon

Comment

I was just looking through the maintenance records. In November the Igniter was replaced. Could they have installed something wrong?

(Just bought this car)
        1992 LX Wagon

Comment

they may have re-installed the distributor totally wrong but i wouldnt expect it to run very well afterwards.

just reset your timing and take it back.

it surely isnt really 99deg BTDC but it may be out of acceptable range for the smog check.

that, or the smog machine was malfunctioning.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

Originally posted by H22artman View Post
            just reset your timing and take it back.
            There is no way to set the timing because the timing mark is off some how. I'm trying to figure out how it got that way and how to fix it. If I tried to set the timing so the mark lined up the timing would be way off!

I see that the cam/balancer seals where replaced in '05 I wonder if it was screwed up then.
            1992 LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by slloth View Post
              There is no way to set the timing because the timing mark is off some how. I'm trying to figure out how it got that way and how to fix it. If I tried to set the timing so the mark lined up the timing would be way off!

I see that the cam/balancer seals where replaced in '05 I wonder if it was screwed up then.
              if it ran at all after all these different repairs had been done then there should be no major reason why your marks would be so far off.

the only way the flywheel/flexplate mark would be off was if it was installed incorrectly. which pretty much cant happen.

sounds like you better start from square one.

Bought from: Bisimoto, FuncOvrForm, HondaGuy1212, wed3k, Konigstiger, 1st2run, BillKisme, k-mart, benjerman112

Comment

If you can't set IT because of problems with the timing marks, then another way might to have the timing set on a rolling road dyno according to what gives the best torque. No idea as to cost, but shouldn't be horrific...
                Regards from Oz,
                John.

Comment

Originally posted by johnl View Post
                  If you can't set IT because of problems with the timing marks, then another way might to have the timing set on a rolling road dyno according to what gives the best torque. No idea as to cost, but shouldn't be horrific...
                  yeah but if the smog guys don't see the mark line up with the light them they will fail it again.

Maybe it's something simple I hope. This sucks.
                  1992 LX Wagon

Comment

Do you have timing marks on your flywheel? You should be able to view the timing marks through the hole in the transmission case when using a timing light. If your ignition timing is off, you can rotate the distributor to change the timing.

If the flywheel was replaced, it may not have marks (my crap aftermarket one does not). If it was replaced, even with marks, they may not have put the marks where they were supposed to be. This can be corrected by turning the engine so cylinder 1 is at TDC (I believe, please double check this before doing it), removing the transmission, and setting the flywheel so the timing marks are near the top. They will not be exactly at the top, since they should be offset 13-17 degrees.

The distributor is keyed, so there is really no way it was installed incorrectly unless it was forced on... and as said above, it wouldn't run correctly if that was the case.

The only thing that can be horribly off is the flywheel. A pain in the ass to correct, but not really difficult.

Comment

Are the timing marks in the hole in the transmission case the only timing marks? I had a guy over at my house who said he knew about Hondas and was looking at the drivers side of the engine at (I guess the crank pulley?) he said there should be marks over there also. Is this true?

I'm starting to think maybe an aftermarket flywheel was installed with no red and white marks. There is however a little "BB". When I have the timing light set up the "BB" lines up with the arrow on the inspection hole when I have the advance knob on the timing gun set to almost 30.
                      1992 LX Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by slloth View Post
                        Are the timing marks in the hole in the transmission case the only timing marks? I had a guy over at my house who said he knew about Hondas and was looking at the drivers side of the engine at (I guess the crank pulley?) he said there should be marks over there also. Is this true?

I'm starting to think maybe an aftermarket flywheel was installed with no red and white marks. There is however a little "BB". When I have the timing light set up the "BB" lines up with the arrow on the inspection hole when I have the advance knob on the timing gun set to almost 30.
                        I've never heard of "BB" before... The proper mark should be a long line with shorter lines on either side. The long line is 15, the shorter ones are 13 and 17.

As I mentioned above, the cam/valve timing and ignition timing are two different things. The flywheel shows ignition timing. The marks on the crank pulley and cam gear are for the cam timing. The mark on the crank pulley and the mark on the cam should both be facing STRAIGHT UP for Piston #1 to be at TDC.

Comment

Maybe I will see if I can get some pictures to show you what I'm talking about. I haven't seen any white or red lines.
                          1992 LX Wagon

Comment

I'm wondering if some minor surface rust/corrosion on the flywheel could be covering the timing marks?
                            1992 LX Wagon

Comment

Honestly, I've NEVER seen white and red lines. Just engraved slits in the flywheel. Really only visible with a timing light unless you have the transmission off. If the flywheel was removed or replaced, it may have been reinstalled improperly, so the lines aren't visible.

That's how it should look, roughly... Mine never had any paint on it. Just lines.

Comment

Working...
                              X