No announcement yet.

GT86, FR-S, BRZ thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My main & actual HUGE concern with the Pony/Camaro is the front windshield visibility. It’s like looking through blinds and I can’t stand it.

I’m pretty content on the BRZ, it’s really up to the test drive I guess. I love the simplicity of the boxer engines, and if I’m doing any mods, it’ll be exhaust and wheels.

I read the early models have transmission problems. Anybody know if this has been resolved?

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      My friend had the Hondata flash which gives him 6 more PSI to work with. It’s git a ton of mid-range grunt, to the point If most situations unless you are winding it out, it’s plenty for a DD. He’s averaging almost 35 MPG and it can push you into the seat prettty well. It’s much less peaky than my STi was.

Honestly I think the suspension is again plenty for a street car. The rear wheel gap is less than 2 fingers and with summer tires can pull a 0.97. The CTR campers are actually cheaper than the Si units.

I personally like how it looks and found it to be a better all around car than the 2017 WRX based upon driving both models. It would be my choice for a sub-$30k car if I needed something to daily drive.
      DOHC i-VTEC probably helps manage lag and spread boost around so I guess it's OK. And Honda is usually very good with stock suspension tuning. I don't doubt that it's a great package out of the box, but coming from the G I can't go to an ugly car. I have realized how much a car's looks matter to me. Hopefully the aftermarket or Mugen comes through with some solution that deletes those awful fake bumper grilles.

Originally posted by lordoja
      im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I think I found out how to link directly to that Casale Design 10th-gen Civic/Type-R bumper render. Hope this works for you. Turns out this guy's full-time job is actually working for "a consulting company that creates digital 3D files and renderings for Honda and Acura."
        https://www.instagram.com/p/BblLjoUF...=casale_design

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Can we maybe talk about the BRZ/GT86? o-o

Comment

RX-8 popped in my head too.
            I'd say try to pick up a ZHP for obvious reasons. Standard E46s are meh looking to me. Easy to work on, parts are decent, rwd, manual, doesn't really depreciate (ZHP prices have been pretty consistent for a while), comfortable, steering feel is excellent. I think with a differential change with a shorter final, which I'm seriously considering, you can have an awesome daily that gets about 27 mpg and has about 200 whp/200 wtq on average. It drinks oil like a damn rotary though.

Or if you want a small car like the FT86, the Z3 or Z4? I don't hear too much talk about them, I think they fly under the radar, but you may have a certain "image" to deal with.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              Can we maybe talk about the BRZ/GT86? o-o
              Who are you?

Yeah, lol, sorry. Got caught up. I've always felt like the FRS is one of those cars you only get if you either a) want a Miata but with a solid roof and are content with 'momentum car' performance, or b) know you're wanting a project car. I've heard of them being referred to as "blank canvas cars" several times. What purpose are you wanting this next car purchase to serve? It's a great option if you're just wanting a fun daily, but then it's not as practical as other options. If you want out-of-the-box performance, I think you'll find yourself wanting more after a little while. As a blank canvas to serve as an in-depth project car, the chassis is as good as anything else out there, and the entry fee is even cheap.
              Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-09-2018, 05:36 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Yeah I’m trying to figure out what the engine can handle. Not sure if they’re able to handle any forced induction or anything. I’m sure 250 at the wheels would be what most feel the car SHOULD have from factory

They make supercharger kits for them too so I guess they can handle 8lbs reliably
                Last edited by F22Chris; 04-09-2018, 01:21 PM.

Comment

250 even at the crank would have been nice. They should have set the S2000 as the benchmark. Toyota knew exactly what bringing back the "86" moniker would mean to their enthusiast customer base, so I feel like die-hards of the brand were stiffed.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Dude 100% stiffed. I’m scared to see what they do to the Supra they’ve been meaning to release for 5 years now

I just watched some stock dyno pulls that made 150whp wtf?
                    Last edited by F22Chris; 04-09-2018, 03:12 PM.

Comment

The Supra I'm not worried about, as long as the price is right. The LFA was in production for so long, and it was re-done so many times, and it came out so incredible. The new NSX came with a similar story, and look how incredible that ended up. I have faith in Toyota making a great halo car. It looks like they might actually be sticking with this latest body design, too, which I think looks great.
                      Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-09-2018, 03:40 PM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                        Yeah I’m trying to figure out what the engine can handle. Not sure if they’re able to handle any forced induction or anything. I’m sure 250 at the wheels would be what most feel the car SHOULD have from factory

They make supercharger kits for them too so I guess they can handle 8lbs reliably
                        Dont do it man

Will cost more $$$ but you should definitely stay NA. Or just think about something else. E87 128i is an interesting idea. Kind of takes the BRZ concept and fleshes it out a bit. N52 is pretty reliable. Just have to get past the looks.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

If you like the FR-S, you will love the S2000. Buy one, you won't regret it. Unless you daily drive it. Then you'll hate it. Both AP1 and AP2 have their strengths and weaknesses. Spend some time on S2ki for more info.

And I agree with Glory that they are appreciating, especially when left alone.

Comment

Glory, your video isn’t working. Can you fix that? I would really like to view it if possible, man.

I would daily whatever I get next.

So I’m basically looking for decent mpg(anything 20mpg+), RWD, and manual transmission. I’m wanting something newer, and something I can pay off over time. I’m getting 14mpg in the truck, and it’s killing my bank account lately. V8 mini truck is cool and all, but the $50 per tank every 5 days is starting to hurt.

I love the s2000, but I REALLY don’t want a convertible.

The BRZ just seems to fit the budget & criteria. CarMAX doesn’t have shit here, and I’m honestly new to this so forgive my ignorance guys. This will be the first newer car purchase I’ll be making.

Comment

Why not a S2000 with Honda or Spoon or something hard top. I would love the S2000, but like you I couldn't do it convertible, I need to have a roof!

Try using autotempest.com I've used it the last few days to look for Prelude's in the area.
                              Last edited by Rilas; 04-10-2018, 10:40 PM.
                              MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Link to video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h63qv9ScdXI

As far as BRZ vs S2K goes, I've driven both (AP1), and in my experience the BRZ is far more livable on the street while not being as sketchy or uncomfortable. Below 6K I feel like they are the same in a straight line, and personally I kind of hate that DOHC VTEC power delivery. With bolt ons you can get close to the ~200WHP a stock AP1 does, and an AP1 does not respond super well to NA bolt ons (as one would expect something that makes 120HP/L NA to do).

S2K is a high watermark of Honda though and is much more important and rare than the Freeze Breeze triplets. It's really your call

Comment

Working...
                                X