Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can someone please remind me why the CB7tuner scene matters anymore?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I know talk is cheap, but I have huge plans for her next year since I am now in a great position to afford my hobby. I'm going to try and finalized my CB next year.
    The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

The new younger generations aren't as patient as my generation is. They haven't been shown the concept of saving to get the better things even if it means letting your car sit while taking the bus (possibly a run...).

- D. Chappelle

Comment

Yeah you aren't kidding. You aren't that much older than me but I still don't see why it's such a difficult thing. Even if you are working a minimum wage job living either with your parents or in an apartment its still feasible to save up money.

Back at the last car wash I worked at I was able to save $3k in a few months. My car is my first car and its taken me till now to get to where it is either by saving up money or gaining the knowledge to start new projects.

Of course it's also my DD so I can't do any serious projects but haven't had to do any yet thankfully.

The Facebook group

Comment

Honestly, I thought about this thread some more, and I'm going to keep it 100.

The CB7 scene was really never that significant in the import world. Sure, it had it's moments of popularity, but as far as a die hard sought after car, the CB never had that type of impact with the exception of car thieves. This car was loved by thieves; loved so much that it became the #1 stolen car in America for several years. In addition, this car is loved by a select group of people who have a fondness of this car. Why? Well, it differs for each individual.

You want facts? Go to almost any importer or import tuning shop, and inquire about rare parts for a CB7. See what happens. I already know the outcome because I've dealt with quite a few from coast to coast including Canada. Now, ask the same importer about parts for: 1993 300zx, 1993 240sx, 1993 RX-7, 1993 Supra, 1993 MR-2, 1993 Acura Integra, 1993 Prelude, 1993 Civic, 1993 NSX, 1993 M3, 1993 325i, and see what types of rare parts he/she can find.

The real thing is, the CB7 chassis is a minority when it come to enthusiast. There's a hand full of individuals who really push to see that chassis blossom (and this is speaking for 1998-2008). Fast forward to today, an what will you have? I'll answer it, the last of a dying breed. It's inevitable. That's where the community is.

- D. Chappelle

Comment

^

Basically.

The time frame for guys to come along and take an otherwise obscure platform, and do great things has passed.

Pretty much anything you could do now, has been done(for the most part).

Not to discourage anyone, but the people who come along now are 98% young kids who want to F&F their car and be cool for people in their age group, and the other 2% are older guys who have found out just how reliable these cars are and have picked one up to restore and have as a reliable dd/weekend cruiser/etc.

Not really anyone coming along to change the "scene" which is ok.

I've pondered where this platform might go in the next few years, I don't think it will reach any heights already set by past guys like Joey or Bisi, but a CB7 was just featured again a few months ago, and I think that shows that anything is possible.

I'm personally hoping for the mass influx of idiots to eventually move on as well, and the forum to come full circle and by then for me to have the funds to pick one up and restore it to OEM quality (think TYPE G) as much as possible just to enjoy those early memories.

Then the convos would be more nostalgic and reminiscent of the early days which I missed out on.

I can only imagine the prices of good quality OEM parts then though haha.

Comment

I won't lie, I am somewhat enjoying the trolling on fb.

Comment

Originally posted by AstroVannin View Post
                Did "the scene" ever matter? Wtf is "the cb7 scene" anyways?

What do you really expect people to do with a bunch of baffed out $500 econo cars from the 90's? Not everyone is going to piss a million dollars against a wall on a car that's worth scrap price.
                This is pretty much the attitude I'm seeing all over... and what is pushing me dangerously close to simply giving up on it.

It's not so much about putting lots of money into a car. It's more about doing something the right way.

I mean, what's more impressive? $1000 spent on a $500 car to cram as many cheap mods on it as possible (cheap I/H/E, cheap coilovers on stock shocks, cheap projectors that throw no useful light, or HIDs that blind oncoming drivers, and a set of wheels that don't fit properly...) or $1000 spent on a handful of affordable quality mods.. for example, a Maaco paintjob, a used set of Tein or F&F coilovers, a used set of nice wheels that fit... Those three things would make the car look and handle WAY better than the cheap crap, and it would be far more impressive.

My first Maaco paintjob cost me $650 WITH bodywork. It was the one thing that drew a good deal of attention at my first meet.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                  I mean, what's more impressive? $1000 spent on a $500 car to cram as many cheap mods on it as possible (cheap I/H/E, cheap coilovers on stock shocks, cheap projectors that throw no useful light, or HIDs that blind oncoming drivers, and a set of wheels that don't fit properly...) or $1000 spent on a handful of affordable quality mods.. for example, a Maaco paintjob, a used set of Tein or F&F coilovers, a used set of nice wheels that fit...
                  See now you've just asked a question that can only be answered by opinion.

In YOUR opinion a tasteful mod is better.

Somebody else's opinion is that they want a car like something from 2fast2furious.

YOUR opinion is that's childish and tacky.

THEIR opinion is you are boring.....

Comment

And this thread is about MY opinion... and how I feel the CB7 scene is all about cheapass morons that would rather slap shitty parts on their shitty cars regardless of safety or reliability. It's disheartening, and it's not how things used to be.

I'm very close to simply washing my hands of this lame-ass scene.

Comment

Originally posted by emosun View Post
                      See now you've just asked a question that can only be answered by opinion.

In YOUR opinion a tasteful mod is better.

Somebody else's opinion is that they want a car like something from 2fast2furious.

YOUR opinion is that's childish and tacky.

THEIR opinion is you are boring.....
                      IMO, it's like this:
                      I can have a stock car, or a FNF car. Either way, I have a dual responsibility to make it safe for myself, and make it safe for others.

Autozone is about the cheapest I go. I'm increasingly leaning towards OEM, because it's often worth it.
                      If I wanted FNF, I'd have to look up more expensive parts made by reputable brands (Don't know any off the top of my head) and buy those.

No matter what anyone wants their car to look like, they have a responsibility to make it safe, which is achieved primarily through buying quality parts.

Lastly, cheaping out on parts and trying to mimic what others have done cheaply is not limited to Hondas.
                      We see it because we own cheap cars (which attracts teenagers, which are FNF fans) and we're advocates of safety.
                      MRT
                      37.5 MPG, AC on, cruising at 80.
                      30.0 MPG, AC on, aggressively driving around 90.
                      27.5 MPG, no AC, cruising at 90 with occasional gridlock. 40 degrees Fahrenheit

Lots of DIY videos specifically for our car

Get some awesome wipers! <-- It's a DIY
                      Originally posted by Tippey764
                      I think driving your car naked will cause the engine to overheat
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      sneaky motherfucker

Comment

And this thread is about MY opinion... and how I feel the CB7 scene is all about cheapass morons that would rather slap shitty parts on their shitty cars regardless of safety or reliability. It's disheartening, and it's not how things used to be.

I'm very close to simply washing my hands of this lame-ass scene.
                        In my view, the summary of this thread is this:
                        Cheap shitty people(and their cars) have migrated to Facebook, while quality people who care about their car remain. Thus making this site feel more like it did in 2003.

Am I correct?
                        MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I wouldn't say that. I guess this site hasn't changed... but being bombarded with so many pathetic cars, as well as the idiots that defend their unsafe and unreliable modifications, takes a toll. It's primarily on Facebook, but noticing the decline in activity here as the Facebook activity increases only makes me feel that the overall scene is on the way out.

There was a time when people cared. When people took pride in their cars because they put real effort into them. These days, people take pride in shitboxes, and get poo-flingingly offended when even the slightest criticism is offered.
                          There was a time when the moron that slapped $50 coilover sleeves on stock shocks was universally laughed at. Now, the one or two guys that laugh are the ones called the morons.

I still like MY car, but I'm growing tired of the "scene". The handful of serious CB7tuners on this site, combined with the ever-growing crowd of former CB7 owners that have stuck around, are the only ones that make it worthwhile. It seems that the overwhelming majority of CB7 enthusiasts are people that are content with parading their shitbox around, with no care for safety, reliability, or originality. It's one thing to have a shitbox and know it... and know that you have your work cut out for you. It's another to act like it's something great, and get offended when someone on the internet doesn't agree.

Comment

It's primarily on Facebook, but noticing the decline in activity here as the Facebook activity increases only makes me feel that the overall scene is on the way out.

There was a time when people cared. When people took pride in their cars because they put real effort into them. These days, people take pride in shitboxes, and get poo-flingingly offended when even the slightest criticism is offered.
                            There was a time when the moron that slapped $50 coilover sleeves on stock shocks was universally laughed at. Now, the one or two guys that laugh are the ones called the morons.
                            I think we're facing two events here.
                            One, we've been expecting that this car - and therefore scene - would decline. We're at 20 years old, which means everything will need to be replaced.
                            I'm thinking give it a another few years and the last groups of people who hang onto them just because they're cheap cars will vanish.

Hell, I might even be one of them. I like it because it works, it's cheap and easy to fix, and it runs. But dear god does constantly fixing it or dealing with rattles get annoying.

Point two: We're being bombarded with the thought that whatever you do to your car is up to you. It's the look you want to go with. Apparently anything can fall under this now, and we're meant to respect anyone that mods their car.
                            I think it came from back in the day when someone would do something out of the ordinary(Like a v8 in our car), he/she would get made fun of for it, and everyone else would yell at them and tell them to be nice.

That happened enough, and now the simpletons think it applies to anything you do.
                            This isn't the case, but it's the internet. Complaining probably won't fix anything, but it might make you more upset.
                            MRT

sneaky motherfucker

Comment

I suppose you're right.
                              It's just hard to stay enthusiastic about things when everyone is all about the cheap, easy way out.
                              Hell, I can't even get 13 people to send me pictures of their cars to be in the calendar. Back in 2008, I had to weed through 50 submissions to come up with 13 that would make the cut... and of those 50, a number of them were difficult to rule out. Many of the rejections were based on the picture composition, rather than the car in the picture.

Comment

I suppose you're right.
                                It's just hard to stay enthusiastic about things when everyone is all about the cheap, easy way out.
                                Hell, I can't even get 13 people to send me pictures of their cars to be in the calendar. Back in 2008, I had to weed through 50 submissions to come up with 13 that would make the cut... and of those 50, a number of them were difficult to rule out. Many of the rejections were based on the picture composition, rather than the car in the picture.
                                People generally take pictures with "crappy" camera phones these days. Back in 2008 if you wanted to take pictures you used a actual digital camera.
                                These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Working...
                                X