Manual Tranny: Won't shift to reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Flatline View Post
    well the linkage is solid at the tranny. but loose at the shifter.
    but it won't go into reverse either way

if it's not internal in the tranny then it's the linkage in your picture(thanks for that)
    i unbolted the four bolts that look like they hold it on but it won't move.
    glad they helped. there is a gasket on that part and some times may need a little convincing to come off.

92ex coupe h22
    93 240sx with silvia front end (kadet in the works)
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1894990

Comment

Originally posted by DaGrk1 View Post
      glad they helped. there is a gasket on that part and some times may need a little convincing to come off.
      well i didn't need to yank it. i kept trying to get into reverse because it doesn't seem likely that the shifter would move so freely IN gear if it was a part of the tranny internally.

So it went in.(I think i was pushing the wrong way.)
      So i know it's the shifter and/or cables.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

Comment

well i didn't need to yank it. i kept trying to get into reverse because it doesn't seem likely that the shifter would move so freely IN gear if it was a part of the tranny internally.

So it went in.(I think i was pushing the wrong way.)
        So i know it's the shifter and/or cables.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.
        not a problem man anytime.

92ex coupe h22

Comment

not a problem man anytime.
          now i just cant forget NOT to shift into 5th if im at high Rpms......

Or BOOM... lol
          So how much am i looking to spend if it's just the cables?

Comment

whatch out for 5th itsa dusy lol. might be able to get them off the classifieds up to 50 bucks. probably a junk yard as well for like 50 as well maybe less.
            edit i dont see it being more than 50 at max unless you go to honda
            Last edited by DaGrk1; 02-23-2009, 02:23 PM.

92ex coupe h22

Comment

whatch out for 5th itsa dusy lol. might be able to get them off the classifieds up to 50 bucks. probably a junk yard as well for like 50 as well maybe less.
              haha okay. got my G-pa looking at them new at work(so great having a family member that works for a honda dealership)

Hopefully i get away with a good price.

edit: Honda sucks. $240 employee price.
              Last edited by Flatline; 02-23-2009, 02:27 PM.

Comment

haha okay. got my G-pa looking at them new at work(so great having a family member that works for a honda dealership)

Hopefully i get away with a good price.

edit: Honda sucks. $240 employee price.
                yea 240 is a little much it get a good set of used ones for sure. unless u got the cash to burn cause i know i wouldnt

92ex coupe h22

Comment

Check the bushings at both ends of the linkage.

But it honestly sounds like the shift selectors on top of the transmission(where the linkage hooks up on top of the trans) are fucking up.

Take it off the trans. It's held down by 4 10mm bolts(the thing with the breather pipe coming out of it). I would just inspect and see if anything looks fucked up.

CrzyTuning now offering port services

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post

But it honestly sounds like the shift selectors on top of the transmission(where the linkage hooks up on top of the trans) are fucking up.

Take it off the trans. It's held down by 4 10mm bolts(the thing with the breather pipe coming out of it). I would just inspect and see if anything looks fucked up.
                    i put some pics up on page 1. he said it looked fine.
                    http://car-part.com u could use this website to help with junkyards in your area if it ends up being the shift linkage

92ex coupe h22

Comment

Originally posted by d112crzy View Post

It shifts from the linkage fine. i am just an ass and was pushing it the wrong way. so the selector(i finally know what to call it) is fine. it's the left cable on the shifter. it probably snapped. i can push it into first and second fine. third and fourth are anywhere to the left though.

i put some pics up on page 1. he said it looked fine.
                      http://car-part.com u could use this website to help with junkyards in your area if it ends up being the shift linkage
                      I have two within 10 minutes of me. and three more within 20-30. worst case i found a few shifter+cables sets on Ebay for $30 shipped and $40 shipped.

Comment

It shifts from the linkage fine. i am just an ass and was pushing it the wrong way. so the selector(i finally know what to call it) is fine. it's the left cable on the shifter. it probably snapped. i can push it into first and second fine. third and fourth are anywhere to the left though.

I have two within 10 minutes of me. and three more within 20-30. worst case i found a few shifter+cables sets on Ebay for $30 shipped and $40 shipped.
                        at least u know what it is. hopefully the j/y has it there for ya

92ex coupe h22

Comment

at least u know what it is. hopefully the j/y has it there for ya
                          i hear ya. i get all sad and sappy when i don't know what wrong with my car.
                          Thanks again everyone.

Comment

i had the same problem a week ago but i have an auto trans

it needed atf
                            but everytime i checked the fluid level it said it was full

i need a new tranny anyway

good luck

PSN: DJ-dlatino
                            My ride
                            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=140370

Comment

yea its deff the cables, had the same problem. i bought mine for $15 at the junk yard.

Comment

Originally posted by 91lxaccordkidd View Post
                                yea its deff the cables, had the same problem. i bought mine for $15 at the junk yard.
                                Good to hear. i paid $30 at the yard near me. I never got to go in and pull anything until today. 5 CB's there. nothing aftermarket as far as suspension or engine parts. but plenty of lights and interior.

im going to get these in soon enough. i miss 5th gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X