Adj. H22 valve lash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Adj. H22 valve lash

Soooo I know the car desperately needs this done. I've never done it and could never leave it overnight at a shop (cold engine req.). So I bought this and this. I... think it should work. Last time I had the cover off I realized the bolts sit really low..

Read lots of articles like this, so don't think I can mess it up really.

intake: 0.006-0.007
    exhaust: 0.007-0.008

Any tips or suggestions?

It’s not hard to do. Hardest part is getting the “snag” feeling. As long as they arent super tight or super loose, you won’t do much damage. Also that tool will help tremendously. I need to get one, I’ve just been too lazy but I do want to add that adjustment tool to my inventory.
    Last edited by Grumpys93; 11-16-2018, 06:17 PM.
    ~Nick~
    FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
    MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

You got the correct tools to do this job. After you have read how to do it, and have done the first one, the rest are a breeze.
      MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

OK. will give it a try this weekend.

Comment

The only other piece of advice that I have is: make sure that pistons are truly TDC when you adjust the valves. Having that off a little bit makes all of the valves off for that cylinder.

Comment

Well.... I always knew the head had some noise. Used the cam gear marks along with a long extension down the cylinder hole & you can see the valves.
            Cylinder #3 had one exhaust that was too tight. Easy fix. All was fine until I got to cylinder #2. I could not get a 0.005 in anything on cylinder #2. It also appears to be more worn. I even double TDC, etc, but can't mess that up (you can physically watch the valves). .... so ya. Currently cylinder #2 took a lot of adjustments .....and now I'm wondering why.

While it's hard to say it's more worn than the others it definitely looks different. More shiny.

Comment

If it was previously adjusted tight, then the rocker may still have been touching the cam lobe even when the valve was supposed to be closed. There is supposed to be some lash to allow the valve to completely seat, otherwise hot gases leaking past a partially open valve could wind up burning it. The cam lobes should typically only be worn/polished on the high parts of the lobe.

After adjusting them all, run a compression check to make sure they are all seating well.
              90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
              08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

So I left it over night and the next day I gave all of this some thought. I always thought the block had a upper head chatter to it, others have agreed. .......... then I remembered a pic I took months ago when i had the block out. Back then I also was scratching my head. It appeared to just be a exhaust gasket failure.....

here the pic

cleaned up a bit

Comment

When I couldn’t adjust the valve in to spec I discovered the machine shop didn’t set the valve seat properly and caused the valve to sit higher which in turn didn’t allow me to adjust the rocker arm. Which could have worn down the lobes on the camshaft if I didn’t catch it and cause the valve to be open slightly all the time.
                  ~Nick~
                  FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

So I've concluded that #2 cylinder valves were simply too tight. This caused some wear on the cams and I imagine some compression loss too. So I will buy a compression tester and check things out to triple check.

Comment

No different than what I experienced. One set of the cylinders exhaust valves were too tight dropping compression by over 100 PSI in that cylinder. I'm sure it was really effecting the turbo, having the other 3 cylinders having to make up for the one that was lacking severely. With the loss I had, it was clearly affecting power, and I could tell something was wrong with the engine, which lead me to a compression test, then a valve adjustment to see if the compression came back or it was shot rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Rilas View Post
                        No different than what I experienced. One set of the cylinders exhaust valves were too tight dropping compression by over 100 PSI in that cylinder. I'm sure it was really effecting the turbo, having the other 3 cylinders having to make up for the one that was lacking severely. With the loss I had, it was clearly affecting power, and I could tell something was wrong with the engine, which lead me to a compression test, then a valve adjustment to see if the compression came back or it was shot rings.
                        so now the unknown is, will I need a re-tune after fixing the one cylinder?

Comment

So I triple checked all valves and adjusted one again. I went and bought a compression tester and did a quick test by hand cranking it. I know it won't build a lot of pressure but I was just curious.

#1 - 40
                          #2 - 50 (the one i fixed)
                          #3 - 40
                          #4 - 40

I let the gauge sit there for 10min, none lost air/compression. If it warms up outside I'll try to do a starting compression test. I don't see how any issues will pop up as the only major adjustment was cylinder #2.

Comment

That's about the pressure I could generate hand cranking one in the JY once when I was trying to find a head with unbent valves. If your gauge is like mine, it has a check valve to record and hold the highest pressure, so if the cylinder leaks down it won't register on the gauge.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Was just getting ready to say that about my gauge as well, mine has a check valve that you have to press to release the pressure. Those are good numbers by hand.
                              ~Nick~

Comment

Working...
                              X