Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Ideas for AWD CBs! Motors? Drivetrains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for AWD CBs! Motors? Drivetrains?

This thread is, now, for thoughts on AWD CBs. Post your thoughts on different motors, Honda or other, drivetrains, etc. What do you think would be cool? What do you think would even work?

I was thinking the other day about swaps and conersions and what not, and this came accross my mind. so I am seeing what people think. Evo VIII\IX motor, trans, and drive train in a 92\93 CB7. Sleeper, if you will. AWD. Turbo. I think it'd be awesome. Ideas?
    Last edited by DumbleDore!; 03-07-2013, 11:13 PM.

VTEC by birth, not be choice.

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=199312

I mean, Anything is possible if you got deep pockets....

Comment

The cheapest easiest most dependable way would be buy an EVO and fit a cb7 body. If not we are talking fractions of a difference. With the tools I currently have at disposal I think that's how I would do it.
      ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Look up AlmostJDM's RWD conversion project. Converting a CB7 to AWD would be just as complicated, if not more so.

Could it be done? Sure. Would it be worth the effort? Perhaps. You'd certainly have something unique, provided you can actually make it work reliably.

Personally, if I wanted an early 90s midsize family sedan with AWD and a turbo 4g63, I'd just buy a Galant VR4. Hell, it'd probably be cheaper and easier to make a Galant VR4 look like a CB7 than it would be to convert a CB7 to run an Evo engine and trans!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          Look up AlmostJDM's RWD conversion project. Converting a CB7 to AWD would be just as complicated, if not more so.

Could it be done? Sure. Would it be worth the effort? Perhaps. You'd certainly have something unique, provided you can actually make it work reliably.

Personally, if I wanted an early 90s midsize family sedan with AWD and a turbo 4g63, I'd just buy a Galant VR4. Hell, it'd probably be cheaper and easier to make a Galant VR4 look like a CB7 than it would be to convert a CB7 to run an Evo engine and trans!
          I'll have to check it out. It's not so much wanting an AWD 4G63 sedan, I could just buy an Evo, I want an AWD 4G63 CB7. ;]

Andy's Auto Sport: Comptech Battery Tie Down, "It will look so trick that your car will think it has more horsepower!"

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Aside from all of this and awd the notion is nice putting it into a cb7but there is a factor remaining. The evo's chasis. There are so many bars on that car and reinforcement which makes the car very stiff in turns along in conjunction with the suspension. So evernthough you want awd make sure the handling is there.

Comment

Precisely.
              The way CB7 would need when hacked up to accommodate a rear driveshaft and driven rear wheels, adequate bracing would pretty much HAVE to happen! In fact, with an extensive project like that, I'd suggest welding all the seams in the unibody (cut the tack welds and do a solid weld), and install a full cage. Now, a full cage isn't exactly safe on the street (you can hit your head on it.) That automatically takes all practicality out of such a project. The CB chassis would need the support, though, because even before you gut it like a fish to make a driveshaft tunnel, the rear of the car isn't built to handle any sort of torque. There's no twisting going on back there, so it was never reinforced. Any power going to the rear wheels will tweak the chassis terribly without bracing the car properly to handle it.

Comment

It would be cheaper to get a used EVO VIII

Originally posted by lordoja
                im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

It might be cheaper to get a new EvoX!

Comment

All good thoughts and points, the reason I posted this. Shame, would have been a cool project. We'll see, although it sounds like I need a new idea. Haha

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

You could still pull it off with careful planning, lots of trial and error, and at least twice the amount of money you'd expect to spend initially.

It's far more involved than simply bolting up new parts and fabricating some mounts, though.
                      Try tossing a FWD 4G63t setup in there first. If you can get that to work properly, then you could look into using DSM parts to add the AWD.
                      Or you could be even cooler, and adapt the Mitsubishi AWD system (or whatever system you like) to be used with an F22A

Comment

You could still pull it off with careful planning, lots of trial and error, and at least twice the amount of money you'd expect to spend initially.

It's far more involved than simply bolting up new parts and fabricating some mounts, though.
                        Try tossing a FWD 4G63t setup in there first. If you can get that to work properly, then you could look into using DSM parts to add the AWD.
                        Or you could be even cooler, and adapt the Mitsubishi AWD system (or whatever system you like) to be used with an F22A
                        If I were to do that, I'd use an F22B.

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Why?

Comment

Why?
                            Facepalm My bad, F20B. http://www.jdmenginedepot.com/jdm_en...mission,_&_ECU

DumbleDore!'s CG

Comment

Even worse. Why?

And from that place? Good luck. You live in CA, why the fuck do you want an engine from NJ? I live in NJ, and even I wouldn't buy an engine from them! Buy from hmotorsonline.com if you want something worth installing. I suggest H22A if you want to swap at all (the F22A has a ton of potential, though...)

The F20B was never sold in the US, so finding parts for it that aren't shared with the H22A is tough. It is OBD2, so you'd never be able to use a proper ECU for it unless you convert your car's wiring to OBD2. The F20B came in two varieties, 180hp and 200hp (a little less on both counts, but that's the easiest way to put it.) From most resellers, especially the shady cheap ones like jdmenginedepot, you'll probably end up with the 180hp version. 180hp and low torque due to the 2.0L displacement... that's a turd. Honestly, not a whole lot better than the F22B.
                              Yes, the F20B was designed for racing. It was designed for a class that was limited to 2.0L. It's not a racing engine... it's an engine that was designed under considerable restrictions.
                              And it's common enough that it's not very "different".

Comment

Working...
                              X