No announcement yet.

CB7Tuner.com Custom Shift Knobs - POLL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm liking those two grooves on the sphere, though. They've got me wondering how they'd look near the bottom of the teardrop...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Man I was trying to find an image of this old school TRD shift knob I really wanted back when I had my AE86. It's basically a leather wrapped teardrop, but it's flattened out at the top and has an epoxy domed applique with a silver TRD logo in it. I can't seem to find it. There are some cool TRD shift knobs these days though!

The idea was to show what the flattened teardrop looks like in a three dimensional space, because we never really view the shift knob directly from the side, the overall appearance isn't diminished by the flattened surface. The epoxy domed applique added that slight convex to it, like the one on the right of my previous image.

This is something I'd love to create for myself:

Same concept as the one on the right except the slightly flattened face is tilted 30° toward the driver.

A man can dream...
      1993 Accord DX | Rosewood Brown Metallic

Comment

Originally posted by cb9love View Post
        aside from the obvious need to have the etching improved, I prefer the round stainless. Even though in the summer it's really hot and I am worried about it freezing too my hand in the winter. It's the weight of the stainless steel that i really like. From a practical point, I would like to see it in round and polymer but weighted close to the stainless steel with the use of a insert as stated in an earlier post.
        It will only freeze to your hand if you throw a snowball first lol, been there done that. I have a stainless in my sunfire and it does get hot but not enough to actually burn, winter is worse than summer though, as it takes forever to warm up the knob and if you hold it the frostbite can happen.

Comment

Exactly. Winter is worse than summer because it is bare metal.
          Again there are a lot of options to remedy these things such as gloves, warming the car up a bit longer before you go anywhere.

Teaser pic.
          Working with another machinist.
          Logo will be larger on this knob.

Starting to wish I kept up with the CNC stuff... oh well.
          Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Comment

Quickie update.
            Was having some issues with the graphics (DXF file) being converted from Illustrator to Mastercam. There was just a lot of lines that weren't being rendered. But that was all sorted out (ran it through VCarve first, then exported it to Mastercam). Another sample knob will be produced shortly.

IF/WHEN these get finalized, there will most likely be a sphere/round and teardrop version in both polymer and stainless to suite most everyone's preference.

Not sure on the quantity that will be made yet. That along with price will most likely be the deciding factor with these knobs.
            Again, working on providing the highest quality shift knobs possible at a reasonable price.

Comment

I will definitely be on the purchasing list for a teardrop when you start accepting orders.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

New sample knob engraved.

Let me know what you think of the design.

Comment

Not bad Jon! Although I would put in a color in the engraved areas. Maybe options of Black, Blue or Red?

How about the Type R style is that one getting a sample too?
                  Henry R
                  Koni/Neuspeed
                  1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                  1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                  Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                  made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Jon, I love it! Although I still want the teardrop shape, that looks great. I do agree with Henry though on the fact that a color would offset it a good bit more than just the engraving.
                    MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

I like the knurled edge, man. Nice touch.

Comment

Yes, teardrop is going to be done as well.
                        This was a blemished knob he had laying around to test the design out on.

I agree, the crosshatch around the edge was a good addition I think. I wanted something a bit different than the normal, so it's a diamond pattern. The years of tinkering with CAD/CAM has actually came in handy for once!

Looking into color options, brushed finish instead of polished, and a few other things. Again I prefer this tooling engraving over the laser engraving. Allows for a larger area, bigger logo, and some nice tactile element to it as well.

Comment

That is beautiful! The scale of the design looks perfect, and the knurling gives the whole thing a classy look, too. It really puts the Mugen design to shame.

Sphere or tear drop, I'm in.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Like the logo but hate the shift knobs. The round smooth edges doesn't match the cb7 styling IMO and a big chrome tear drop with something stamped on the top looks pretty cheesy/cheap. We need a mix between the OEM knob and your added touches. I think the below shift knob with a metal insert with your logo would look better. A mix between leather like materials used on the OEM and engraved metal would look better. Like some real effort was put into it rather than me buying a plain shift knob and taking it to an engraving place. Again, just my opinion.

Comment

^ No, love the feedback! Criticism helps progress these in a better direction. Of course not everyone is going to like everything about these.

Leather and metal combo is a good idea, just not sure how I could pull it off. I'm not a tanner/leatherworker and I don't know any off hand either. If you know someone who could help pull it off, let me know! I'd be more than happy discussing things and see what can be done (cost being a concern too).

I will say that there is a lot of effort going into these though. They are completely custom machined/lathed, and engraved. This ONE knob has several hours of work in it.

So yeah, love the feedback and opinions! And again if you can help source someone who could offer the tanning/leatherwork I'd be more than happy to venture down that road.

Comment

Looks great! I like the color offset like Will mentioned. It would make the logo pop more. I think the leather/metal shifter would be a nice touch to keep it looking OEM but have the aftermarket flare.

Will these knobs be weighed? I think I recall seeing that somewhere.
                                ~Nick~
                                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                                MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Working...
                                X