Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 EX Sedan (U.S.) possible Torque Converter Failure

Hi all,

A few weeks ago when backing out of my garage, I noticed that the motion in reverse seemed a little jerky with a springy quality, the same way a cvt sometimes feels. Throttle response seemed a little choppy (under 1000 rpm), fine over 1200rpm. There really wasn't the same feeling when shifting to D3 and driving away. Driving at low and high speeds did not make the car act out of normal. Throttle and shift feel were normal.

Every time I drive the car and reverse, the same things happen.

A few days later I drove about 20 minutes on the freeway and the car felt fine, as I was pulling into the garage, the idle dropped below 1000 rpm and started to feel very rough. I put the transmission into N and the idle remained very lumpy below 1200 rpm. P also had the same result. Lots of vibration! Turning on AC made the car shudder more. Not a normal low rpm shudder, but a pretty strong one. I opened the hood and could see the whole engine visibly shaking with a metallic like clunking that was pronounced.

Shutting the car off and restarting didn't change anything, it remained the same.

Could this be a transmission issue or misfire issue?

I have an emissions test in early August (now postponed...), so I made an appointment for Honda in 2 weeks after I returned from a vacation.

When I returned, the same issues were still present while reversing.

At Honda, they could not reproduce the problem or sound even though they kept the car for 4 days. I was told to pick up the car because there was little point to keeping it.

When the car was delivered to me, I was able to have it act up at the dealership. The vibration and loud metallic clanking were quite noticeable, so we opened the hood. A tech walking by listened and told my service adviser that the sound was coming from the transmission. I heard it myself as well.

At that point the adviser changed his story and said yep, you definitely have transmission issues. Can it be further diagnosed then I asked? No, your car is 22 years old, has 222,xxx miles on it, that's reason enough that it can fail. We don't rebuild them, so you'll need to replace the whole thing. Ok fine I said, what's the cost? He replied he would have to get back to me.

I asked what is the reason for the rough low rpm response? The adviser said it is possible the transmission is not unlinking completely and that could be the reason for the loud (albeit intermittent) clunking.

A few hours later I get a voicemail from him saying that there are no more remanufactured units available from Honda, so he talked with the service manager and was told that there is still a tech that works there that used to rebuild transmissions. Go ahead and bring it back in, he said.

I took the car back the next day, and got a different adviser. Had to explain basically everything again. For whatever reason whoever writes up the car gets the case.

The car had been in for a week, and it will not rattle underhood anymore, the rpm issue is apparent to me, but I guess because I am so familiar with it, I can tell that it is not quite normal. I took the car for a drive with the service manager but it would not act up. The only consistent thing is the surging transmission when placed in R. Rpms will stay steady when the car is in R and the car surges. To me I think that points to a transmission problem.

Honda suspects the engine mounts. I don't know since I replaced them two years ago.

Transmission fluid appears clear and the level is normal. The transmission is not throwing any codes, nor is there any CEL present. Distributor is normal, fuel is fine as I have refueled in the day that I had the car back. Valves were also adjusted 2 years ago, and are not due yet.

The transmission is being flushed out and checked for particulates right now.

The new adviser states that they do not want to tear into the transmission until they have concrete evidence that the problem is inside there (AKA clunking returns for them).

Been without my car for 2 weeks, what could it be that is causing this? Is there enough cause to crack open the trans, say even if the fluid has nothing in it?

Thanks for reading!

Edit: Here are some videos

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sw0kmol468...711_212421.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xvypq78bhr...711_212530.mp4

https://www.dropbox.com/s/06lw8y7qoi...711_212637.mp4
    Last edited by Prez808; 08-09-2014, 08:17 PM. Reason: Videos

Update, Honda still is baffled and has no answers. Trans flush showed no excessive particulates, transmission stall speed is within spec, and vacuum function is within normal parameters. Motor mounts are all in good shape too.

I was told that they would perform a transmission pressure test (I think that is what it was called) and then they would get back to me. If that also shows up negative, then I have choice but to drive it until failure.

I have also searched online and have only found one post that was similar to mine with no resolution either.

Comment

Transmission pressure test is negative. OBD scan shows no issues with injectors or ignition system. Next is to check for alignment of axles.

If this is negative, then I will get my car back.

Despite all of the tests, the shuddering in reverse persists. It apparently is not enough to warrant opening up the transmission housing.

Comment

Time to send out the engineers dude!

At least you have a better service adviser this time around that doesn't just say "It's old, so it needs replacing", not an acceptable answer to an informed customer.

I'd still like to see testing on the TPS, some TCU readings, IAC valve, and maybe the ELD system.

Comment

Well the dealer could find nothing wrong with the axles (of course), then told me that they had closed out the paperwork and to come get my car. I should keep driving it and when it makes the noise more consistently, bring it back... uggh

I only know about Honda dealers calling in an engineer from Honda HQ when they are completely stumped from what JakFrostWhite, but apparently they aren't going to do it for me. I

Will talk with the service manager again tomorrow...

Comment

And by now you're probably 7\8ths to a complete h22a swap...$$$$$

Comment

Originally posted by Prez808 View Post
              Well the dealer could find nothing wrong with the axles (of course), then told me that they had closed out the paperwork and to come get my car. I should keep driving it and when it makes the noise more consistently, bring it back... uggh

I only know about Honda dealers calling in an engineer from Honda HQ when they are completely stumped from what JakFrostWhite, but apparently they aren't going to do it for me. I

Will talk with the service manager again tomorrow...
              Give the service manager a chance to see what he has to say about the problem and a future resolution. The car isn't fixed, period. I'd also consider calling American Honda yourself and explain the entire situation to them, but have your paperwork ready as backup. Something to keep in mind here as well...a dealership's make a lot of money off of service on vehicles, but they need to sell more cars to stay in business. Just a thought.

Are you sure there isn't a good local Honda mechanic out there? Hell, if Richmond had one, I'd sure as hell think you guys would.

Originally posted by illinois_erik View Post
              And by now you're probably 7\8ths to a complete h22a swap...$$$$$
              This right there! If you go the rebuild route, you're probably 90% to an h22a with a lower mileage transmission anyway. Something to consider.

Comment

A couple of things, a junkyard H has an unknown previous history. My f22a6 has been run on synthetic oil since the first oil change 22 years ago, so I am not so keen on dumping my engine.

No guarantee that a similar vintage transmission would be any better, and no I will not convert to manual.

I will not be charged for the 2 weeks my car was diagnosed at the dealer. Nothing wrong could be found, so the service manager will not charge me he has said.

P.S. Erik, I like that you spell your name the proper way. lol

Comment

Oh also I seriously doubt $120 is 7/8th of a H22 swap.

Comment

Received the car back yesterday. It won't act up, not really noticing the surging/pulsing issue in reverse. I guess this is fine as long as the problem doesn't reappear.

My thought now is that I might have had a bad batch of gas?

I'll keep driving it and post updates.

Comment

Received the car back yesterday. It won't act up, not really noticing the surging/pulsing issue in reverse. I guess this is fine as long as the problem doesn't reappear.

My thought now is that I might have had a bad batch of gas?

I'll keep driving it and post updates.
                      Maybe Mr. Honda made a "guest appearance" last night for it.

On a funnier note...the Mazda spit out an ABS and TC light last night after class. Think I might have a bad wheel speed sensor...hopefully the warranty will cover it. If not...a new OBD2 scanner with ABS capability is in my future!

Comment

Oh also I seriously doubt $120 is 7/8th of a H22 swap.
                        thats not bad, figured itd be 80/hr like most places charge. As for a supply of transmissions/long blocks, H motors online would be a good bet. my H22A looked new inside, the valve train isnt even gold colored yet, the bottom of the valve cover is still aluminum colored. Theyll be my goto if I ever need a transmission. I wouldnt even buy an F let alone an H from a domestic salvage yard unless it was just for a core.

Glad your problem sorted itself out

Comment

Thanks everyone. Without a doubt the worst car problems are the ones that are inconsistent. Going to get a smog test today and hopefully it'll pass with flying colors.

Comment

Passed smog fine. I have noticed that the car drives better than ever. Shift quality is much improved. I am guessing the transmission flush really helped things.

Comment

Update

So the springy feeling of motion when shifting into R and letting the car move has went away. What I did notice in the weeks after was that shift quality from first to second gear was reduced when accelerating hard. That is to say that the faster I took off, the stronger a shudder would happen during the shift. If I accelerated gently, there was no shudder at all. There is also no shudder from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th. All smooth. So back to Honda I went.

After a drain and strain metal parts finally came out and I decided that it would be time to rebuild the transmission with all Honda parts. With the takata airbag recall, and finding new old stock parts from all over the country as well as Japan, my transmission is being rebuilt. It has been there for over 6 weeks, but the rebuild didn't start until a week ago. Looking forward to getting it back soon. Will post after!

Comment

Working...
                              X