Fort McMurray, Canada - Fires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fort McMurray, Canada - Fires

I've traveled to Fort Mac for work and drove on these streets. And .... this is simply un-real!! These are communities that people live in.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/video?playlistId=1.2886786

Holy shit dude!

It's like something out of an apocalyptic movie or something.

Comment

Wow, that's awful!

Comment

So far they evacuated more than 80,000 people. There is a good chance they will lose the whole city. I don't think any part of Canada has seen a fire of this size before. Reports say that they have no gas left so there are thousands of trucks on the highway abandoned. People have lost everything they own, some are walking down the highway with a suitcase.

The only way out of town is North to the camps and Syncrude/Kearl oil sands or South to Edmonton. Edmonton is usually a 3 hours drive, but it has taken people 7-8 hours to make this drive. Again, most running out of fuel along the way due to no gas when they left. Police are driving up and down the highways handing out gas. Nearest city/town is 3+ hours away from Fort McMurray.

They are on day #3 and still the fire is out of control. Considering a trailer + land can cost $800,000 + and houses go for $1-2 million + this is devastating to the economy there. Many left with only their clothes on their back. Some have lost everything and are walking down the highway.

Comment

'tis the season. I just saw this in the newspaper here in Colorado today, saying they haven't even begun to be able to contain it. We get enough of that here; fires in the mountains will be smoking up cities in the valley miles away. In that shot you posted, I can't imagine the people in those cars are having an easy time breathing with all the air such an inferno must be consuming.

Best of luck to the families and firefighters up there. Fires are a vital part of nature, but still...

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Last i heard/read is there are over 200 structure fire fighters, 11+ helicopters, several water bombers and the fire cannot be contained. The fire is now larger than the size of Calgary and they have no choice but to let it burn while trying to save the airport and hospital area.

Comment

Its crazy man. Gas stations blowing up n shit.. watching the news right now and the chief's saying they're expecting it to move more north now. Estimated 9 billion dollar rebuild and that figure is expected to climb higher.

Comment

Praying for all that this is impacting.
                1997 Ford Explorer V-6 AT (what a piece of junk)
                1993 Nissan Sentra M/T (front end damage, off road for now)
                1999 Mercury Mountaineer V-8 A/T - RIP (rolled: totaled)
                1992 Honda Accord A/T EX - RIP (transmission shot: sold to junkyard)

Comment

I'm glad corn fields don't burn too well.

Originally posted by Honda_Lady View Post
                  Praying for all that this is impacting.
                  x2 Same here.

Comment

I just found a fly over video recorded yesterday. Apparently 90% of the city is still intact, but over 2,000 structures are burned to the ground. This is horrific, and I can see why residents likened this to an apocalypse.

*** Think of others before thinking of yourself. ***
                    ********** Spread love, not hate. ***********
                    ****Lift others up with kind and helpful words****

F20A_CB7, I miss you, but I will see you one day.
                    "Nothing a little prayer can't fix."

MRT
                    Selling on Ebay!

15.10 @ 90.42mph
                    The quest for 9s ceased, now the goal is a circuit track monster!
                    Current fastest Laguna Seca Lap: 1:52.889

Comment

Wait, hold the phone... is that a Triumph GT6?

Weak.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                        Wait, hold the phone... is that a Triumph GT6?

Weak.
                        Definitely looks it to me.

Unfortunately it probably got left behind when the family was fleeing.

I couldn't even process losing basically everything I couldn't fit into the one vehicle I was escaping in.

Comment

Working...
                        X